Imagination Gone Wild

Imagination Gone Wild

“I knew we shouldn't have moved here." Sandy thought hysterically. "I knew Mum, remarrying was a bad idea. Who was this guy to think he could just up and move three kids from their home! From all they've ever known, to a haunted house." Pressing her back against the cellars cold, hard cement walls she squinted into the darkness... Just ahead of her, a low deep breathing could be heard. Despite the fact she was wearing a tank top and shorts and the cellar's arctic temperature, she could feel beads of perspiration making their way slowly down her face.

Her mum had sent her down to the cellar to put away some of the holiday decorations they had brought along with them on the move. Of course there were no lights, let alone electricity in the old cellar. So she was forced to make her way down the steps and through the dark cellar alone, guided by the solitary beam of light filtering in through the opened door. She had made it half way across the room when a gust of humid summer breeze, coming from the open window across from the old heavy door had slammed shut. The light vanished. That was when the harsh, low breathing started. She was plunged into darkness; she had no idea who- or what was out there with her. But whatever it was she was almost certain it was going to eat her. It was then that she had quickly but carefully dropped the boxes and felt her way to the cellar walls in hopes of feeling her way back to the stairs.

She was cut short by a huge snarling grunt of the something just ahead. Jumping a foot in the air she frantically tried feeling her way to the staircase. Breathing harder with her heart in her throat, she tried, more frantically this time, to feel her way back to the staircase. The breathing continued.

With that, her mouth ran dry, as though cotton balls were stuffed in her mouth. The
wretched smell of mothballs stuffed in the cellar seemed to wash over her, seeming to
clog her brain, making her dizzy. Over the roar of the harsh breathing - which seemed to
be getting louder- the monster would be sure to hear her frenzied heart beat if not, for sure
smell her perspiration.

In her wild frenzy to reach the staircase, she smashed her knee against something hard, causing the object to smash across the hard floor. There was a sharp intake of breath, as Sandy's eyes welled up with tears from the pain. The breathing of the beast across the room from her, stopped. Sandy froze in terror. There was a sudden scuffling and panting. Sandy imagined it drawing closer, claws of the great beast scratching the cold hard floor, all too eagerly to get to her. She pictured it as the embodiment of the devil himself. A fresh wave of panic washed over her, and she dove in the direction she thought was the staircase. In seconds however, the great beast was on her.

A scream of terror Sandy never knew, ripped through her, as the great hairy beast,
started licking her. All at once, it dawned on her who the great beast really was. Marty, her step dad's golden retriever. Sandy pushed the dog off herself. "He must have escaped from the heat last time the door was opened." she thought, laughing at her over-reaction. She headed back up the stairs, leaving the dog in his cold slumber. She vowed to never let her imagination get the best of her again.