Status: Full speed on!

Monsoon Wings

Chapter 10 - "Evey single thing I do, I am doing with you."

The first task was only days away, and Olivia was purely worried for Harry. There was no way Harry would get through this first task—especially if his rivals were three years older and smarter. Harry and Ron still had not talked yet; they were still as indifferent to each other as before.

Classes got tougher, too. Juno was used to five hours’ sleep every night now. She always returns to her common room at ten or eleven, then stay up studying until one or two. Dark circles were already forming below her eyes, and she felt herself living like in someone else’s dream—dragging herself through each day. She couldn’t hold it anymore, so she talked to Draco about it that lunch.

‘I want to say something to you,’ she started, barely touching her fried chicken.

Draco grunted, chewing his pie continuously.

‘I want to return to my common room earlier from tonight onwards.’

Draco stopped chewing, looked at her, as if it was something very fishy to do. He had been happy to have someone beside him all the time. Why should he let her go? He shook his head, and returned to his pie.

Juno danced angrily in her seat. ‘I need more time to keep up with my studies!’ she yelled at him.

‘In that case bring your books to the Slytherin common room everyday,’ Draco answered simply.

Well, that settles it. If she was not allowed to get back, then at least she was allowed to study. Well, maybe that wouldn’t make a big deal. After lunch, both of them made their way to Potions. It was at this time that Juno noticed that Draco was wearing a badge: POTTER STINKS.

‘Hey, what’s that badge on your chest?’ Juno snapped.

Draco smirked, and didn’t reply. ‘Half the school’s wearing it, pumpkin-head. Use those eyes next time.’

She fumed all the way to Potions, and Snape didn’t help matters at all. They were paired together and were told to brew the Anti-Friction Solution. Juno was used to Draco ordering her this and that. In fact, she was the one brewing in every Potions period. It didn’t matter, though: she wanted practice.

‘Now put in the chopped Gnarl Leaves in and stir thrice, clockwise,’ Draco was ordering. The only thing he did himself was looking at the instructions on the book and keeping a watch on the flame. Juno did what was told. She stirred thrice, clockwise, and the potion turned bright pink. Draco peered inside the cauldron and scowled.

‘The potion’s supposed to turn slimy green by now,’ he contorted, pinching his nose because of the foul smell rising up from the cauldron. ‘Anyway, now add the Sopophorous Beans.’

Juno picked up the beans and dropped them into the cauldron, and she peered inside.

Yeah, it indeed is weird. The potion had turned milky pink.

Suddenly, what happened next was out of her hands.

The cauldron exploded—right in front of her face. She could hear the screamings of students, and Snape shouting something, and the last thing she saw was fire. Red, fiery sparks dancing around her. Then the red dimmed, and everything went black.

*

When she awoke, she knew it at once she had died. But the voices around her quite vividly explained to her that she was alive. She opened her eyes, and raised a hand to her face. Instead of skin, her hand touched something soft.

Bandages!

Her face was bandaged!

‘Juno!’ screamed Olivia, and she hugged her closely. Juno sat up, and her head felt dizzy. Everything seemed to spin around her.

‘Are you okay?!’ said few anxious and worried voices at once.

‘What happened?’ Juno asked, after everything came into view. Ron, Olivia, Jayden, Hermione and somehow, Harry, all were there. Ron and Harry stood farthest from each other. They were obviously still at it.

‘Here,’ Jayden shoved a bottle of Butterbeer into her hands. ‘Drink it. It’s warm, it’ll help stop the pain.’

‘Juno,’ said Hermione anxiously, holding her hands. Hermione took a deep breath, as if it was very hard on her to explain. ‘Your potion exploded. Because—‘ Hermione exchanged nervous glances with the others. ‘Juno, someone really wants to hurt you.’

‘What are you talking about?’

‘Yours is not Gnarl Leaves. Someone exchanged it with Tentacular Leaves—they both resemble. And amateur eyes like us wouldn’t be able to differentiate between them. But, well, it got mixed with the Sopophorous Beans and exploded.’

‘What?!’ Juno shouted, sitting up straight. Another explosion had occurred, the second so far. And she had been the victim. But, the previous explosion was an accident. Now this explosion? ‘Someone exchanged my leaves? But my potions herbs and equipments are all safely in my trunk in my dorm. How—‘ The look of horror caught up with her, as the terrifying thought came into her mind. And obviously the others were sharing that same thought, too.

Yes. There was no denial.

‘Only a Gryffindor could have done it,’ Hermione whispered hysterically. ‘And a girl. Boys can’t get into the girl’s dorms, remember that.’

A terrifying silence followed Hermione’s words. Juno stared at the Butterbeer in her hands. Who could have been so wicked as to slid into her dorms and exchange her herbs, hoping the exchanged leaves would mix and—

‘Hey,’ Juno said, ‘That someone must have known everything. I mean, see, he—no, I mean she knows we were making the Anti-Friction Solution, and knew about the Sopophorous Beans, and all the ingredients, and she chose the timing to slid into my dorms perfectly, and she must be the one who wrote that anonymous threatening poem, as well, giving it to Hagrid, knowing he would give it to me…’

‘And that means that the someone must be knowing us well!’ Ron piped in, a horrified look on his face.

‘You really think so?’ Jayden contributed. ‘Because I lost one set of robes only this morning. You think someone evil is walking in and out without us noticing?’

This was punctuated with another horrified and thoughtful silence, broken by Madam Pomfrey, the matron, hushing over them, saying Juno needed rest. There were so many things Juno wanted to discuss, but she couldn’t. Thoughts were spilling out of her brain.

As the hospital doors closed, suddenly the curtains of the bed next to Juno’s were being pulled open, revealing an aghast-looking Draco Malfoy. His left arm was bandaged.

‘You’re here?’ Juno said, surprised. What had he heard?

‘I was beside you,’ Draco said. ‘So my left arm got injured too. What is happening with you? Did you say someone is threatening you? Sending you a poem?’

Juno’s lips thinned. She didn’t like it when others interfere in her affairs. Nevertheless, she didn’t feel to be secretive right now. She was, yes, afraid. Afraid the anonymous stalker would get her. And she needed comfort and protection, even from Draco Malfoy.

She sighed, and recited the letter. ‘”Tears slumber, revenge seeks to be made; before October, Emily will be dead.”’

‘And you never told me you’re getting this intimidating letter?’ Draco shot angrily.

‘Hey, you’re being unfair,’ Juno shot back. ‘Why do you have to bother?’

‘You’re right, why do I have to?’

‘Malfoy—‘

‘You’re not even my friend.’

And with that, Draco pulled close the curtains again. For awhile they were lost in silence, the thin white cloth separating both of them. But a second later Draco pulled it open again.

‘Do not drink Butterbeer. You need to drink only water. Or else you’ll get more dehydrated. Doesn’t that fool know it?’ he said, looking straight into her eyes.

Oh my God, he care for me. There was something in the blue-gray. Something tender. Or was it not tenderness?

‘Every single thing I do, I am doing with you,’ Draco said, then closed the curtain again.

Image