Status: Full speed on!

Monsoon Wings

Chapter 17 - I'm the One Who'll Stay

The first day of the holiday, Juno had woken up the first. Most of the students had gone home for Christmas. In the common room, she met Jayden sitting near the fireplace, completely dressed. She neared him, and realized how different he had been. He needed a shave, and his brown hair was tussled.

‘Hey, are you okay?’ Juno asked, sitting beside him.

He looked at her, then turned his gaze to the fireplace. The hurt look was glinting in his eyes. ‘Nothing,’ he said.

‘Is it because I went to the Ball with Malfoy?’ Juno suggested. She sighed. ‘Jayden, he asked me first. And he was a bit intimidating when he said it.’

He looked sharply at her. ‘But you could have refused it.’

His words had touched her nerve. ‘You’re being unfair,’ she uttered. ‘You were the one who was late.’

‘That’s because you were not there!’ Jayden raised his voice. ‘You are always spending your whole day with that rich, stuck-up snob who treats everyone like dirt! And you keep coming back for more.’

‘What is wrong with you?’ she shouted shrilly. It was a blessing not many people were there, or else they would have created a free soap opera.

‘What happened?’ Hermione was already there.

‘Yes, I hate that Draco Malfoy,’ Jayden stated, looking straight at Juno, ignoring Hermione. ‘I had always hated him, and you know it. But you, my cousin, my best friend, my childhood crony, my family, left me to go with that shit.’

‘I did not!’ Juno screamed, standing up, tears already forming in her eyes. Jayden was the most important boy in her life, and to hear him saying that was the sharpest knife plunging her heart. ‘You think I want to go with him?!’

‘Yes, you do,’ Jayden snorted, giving out a fake laugh. ‘He’s got everything, right? Every single part of him is better than me. He’s got money, he’s rich, he’s got good family, and he’s famous. He’s better at Quidditch, better at marks, he's even taller than me; he doesn’t get nerves when it comes to girls—’

‘Will you shut up!’ Juno shouted, tears falling onto her cheek. Hermione was beside her now, arms around her shoulder, patting her back. ‘I have never compared you with Draco Malfoy!’

Now, Harry and Ron had appeared as well.

‘You know what everyone thinks?’ Jayden said hotly. ‘That you are going out with Malfoy!’

‘You know I am not!’

‘But you want to!’

‘You—you—’ it was too much. How dare Jayden state that? He didn’t know the pains she was suffering. He didn’t know at all. He didn't know how Malfoy treated her, how much she had to endure each and everyday. He just accused her like that. And he said she wanted to go with Malfoy! How dare he? He vividly knew that the only person she feels safe with was him.

But what if he was right? Juno wondered. Was it my entire fault? Because I did not even tell him I wanted to join the Talent contest. He was the one, who stayed beside me, who pulls me into an eternal warm embrace when the storm gets tough. His words are always stronger than any the sharp thorns. He was the one who always stayed by me. And now I did not tell him about my decision.

Jayden’s heart was breaking. He couldn’t believe he had said. But he was really pissed at what happened in Honeydukes during the Hogsmead visit. He regretted his speech; but nothing was to be done now. His heart broke seeing the tears in her face. She had always been a brave girl, the hard one who would stood straight even in the coldest of wind. But today, she cried. And he was the cause.

Juno rubbed her tears and ran out of the common room. Once past the Fat Lady, she cried again. She put her face in her hands, and walked blindly. It didn’t matter where she walked. She hoped what happened just now was only a dream. She walked and walked, she jogged, but it didn’t feel like a dream. People say, when you dream, you don’t feel pain. But she felt pain. Her heart, her eyes, her legs.

She ran into something tall and solid. She didn’t put her hands down, because her face was flooded by tears.

‘Emily?’ called the solid figure.

The voice was familiar. It was Draco Malfoy.

Amongst all the boys in this world, why do I have to meet you right now?!

‘Are you crying?’ he said, unbelieving. He tilted his head to one side, trying to catch glimpse of her face behind her hands. He felt a little relieved because the corridor was empty. Most of the students were already back home where they belonged. Juno stood there awkwardly, embarrassed.

Then suddenly, her rage broke over him, and she called him dozens of ugly names, which did not boil him. On the contrary, he laughed out loud like a screeching owl. Seeing the happy look on his face made her wanna spat on him.

‘What is so funny?!’

‘Look, you crashed into me crying all over. Then suddenly you called me names. That is the first sign of mental disorder.’

‘Shut up, you vile, fungi-infested cucumber! You don’t know a single thing!’

Draco stopped laughing and coiled a bit. He then bowed lower to level his face with hers. He reached out an index finger and touched the stream of tears running down her cheek. He realized something. Juno Emily had always been a very strong girl, and it was the first time he had seen her cry. ‘Is it something I did again?’ he asked softly. He couldn’t believe the words left his lips as a gentle question.

‘Yes. All my tears are caused by you,’ Juno confessed, looking straight into his blue-gray eyes. They reminded her of the tranquil blue sea, blanketed in cold grey iceberg. ‘Do you know that I had a fit with Jayden? Because of you.’

‘Hey!’ he raised his voice, knitting his brows angrily. ‘What does your relationship have to do with me? I’ve never liked that Jayden Rocky.’

‘He doesn’t like you as well, and he detests that I am spending most of my time with you!’ she yelled, head held high.

‘So? What does your being with me has to do with his temper?’

‘You give me only pain and anguish.’

Juno had stopped crying and was glaring at him now. Looking at his face pumped extreme dislike which thrills through her veins. She tightened her lips and walked past him.

‘Hey!’ Draco called behind her, following her. ‘I thought we are going to the library today!’

Juno kept on walking, quickening her pace. A couple of first-years were walking past, clutching high stacks of books. Draco grumbled angrily, but followed her out.

They had walked out to the grounds. It was a reflex action that they both shielded their eyes. The white snow was eternal, the Black lake frozen. The sky, though, was blue. Everything looked so lively compared to the gloomy deserted corridors of the castle.

‘Hey! Hey! You there! Both of you!’ shouted someone. Juno and Draco glanced at the source, only to find Elvis, draped in thick layers of wool, waving frantically at them, grinning with glee.

‘Oh no,’ Draco mumbled, scratching his blonde hair. He had never liked nosy people who always snoop around.

Juno, however, found Elvis funny, because she responded to his waves and dashed across the snow towards him, waving her arm as well.

They match each other, Draco thought.

‘Hey! I told you I’ll introduce you to my brother—’ Elvis greeted, panting and blushing in the cold, when Juno had joined him, leaving Draco who was still grumbling behind.

‘Hey! Dustin! Come here!’ called Elvis.

‘No, I’ll just stay here!’ Draco shouted.

But what it he blabbed about my stealing episode four years ago?

Shit.

Draco jogged to join Juno and Elvis, who were already chatting.

‘—live near Hagrid’s hut, not far from the owlery,’ Elvis was saying, pointing around. ‘And here comes my poor devastating brother!’

Far in a distant, a figure, clothed in very thick layers of black, appeared, walking towards them, slightly slanting—like someone drunk. But in the thick layer of snow, it is always hard to walk straight like you normally do in summer.

‘My 17-year old brother. He fell in love with a stupid Muggle and got engaged. Then, when she knew he is a wizard, she shamelessly ran away with another Muggle, breaking his heart,’ Elvis said, lowering his voice, because his brother’s position grew closer and closer to them with every step.

Stampede Lane was struggling to walk across the snow, slightly slanting—checking every step first with his left leg, which is more active and stronger than his right one. He had lived and worked at Hogwarts for no more than a week, but Hagrid had always told him there was a pothole somewhere in this path.

He saw his brother, Elvis, with two other figures, one a tall boy, the other a girl. He focused his sight on the girl.

Even in the distance, that girl looked familiar to him….
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! I've changed the layout anyways. Some of you said the previous one was a bit disturbing, duh. Hehehe. What do you think? Comment and subscribe please :) thanks for reading.