Status: Full speed on!

Monsoon Wings

Chapter 4 - How It All Started

Diagon Alley was very crowded the next morning. It was obvious, because letters from Hogwarts had arrived the night before and students were seen in every shop, dragging their parents to buy them the latest broomstick, or a new quill and parchment. The most jam-packed shop was none other than Flourish and Blotts, the magical book shop.

Juno and the others arrived by Floo Powder. Once they had brushed the dust off themselves, they walked together to Gringotts to take their golds. Now and then witches and wizards were chattering about the World Cup.

‘The Death Eaters—‘

‘Yeah, that’s what I heard—‘

And so and so.

Not long after that they were all equipped with pockets full of jingling coins. First of all, they all struggled through the crowd in Flourish and Blotts to buy their books. Then they decided to separate and buy everything they need, then meet again in front of Gringotts at ten. Ginny was being led by Mr and Mrs Weasley to buy new robes. Ron, Harry, and Hermione wandered to buy new potions equipment and herbs, Fred and George went off somewhere (Knockturn Alley?), while Jayden wanted to stop by his house to take something he had forgotten. Juno and Olivia went to buy ink and parchment, in a shop not far from Flourish and Blotts.

Juno kept looking at the watch, waiting for the longer hand to reach the number nine. Finally, when it was five minutes before nine, she put her plan into action.

‘Olivia, I just want to stop by my home and check on Dad. And find Jayden. He said he had forgotten something, so he must be at home. You just shop here. I’ll come back,’ Juno lied.

It did not take long to convince the lovely Olivia. Soon Juno was on her way on the street.

She had just taken five steps before she realized how stupid she had been. Yes, Malfoy had said Diagon Alley, nine o’clock, but where exactly? She glanced at all sides, hoping to find the blonde-headed guy. But she could see no Malfoy.

What if he turned out at nine in the evening? That guy was monkey-brained.

She wandered to the entrance of Knockturn Alley, but didn’t dare enter. It was ten past nine now.

She was starting to regret her choice of coming. Draco was only playing around with her.

And why did she believe him in the first place?

Because I want to punch him, she replied herself. I want to show him how black his eye will be for burning my sweater.

She had wanted to return back before someone grabbed her wrist. She turned around, shocked, to find Draco Malfoy scowling at her. He was wearing black, as usual. His hair was still a bit wiry but had got its sleekness back.

‘Where were you?!’ Juno yelled. She couldn’t help it. Looking at those blue-gray eyes pumped extreme dislike throughout her veins.

‘I was waiting by your shop,’ Draco said, still holding her wrist.

Hmm, his grip was warm.

‘Now why do you want me here?’ Juno snapped.

‘You said you want compensation. I want it, too. I have a fine way of deciding who will get the compensation.’ He said, and he smirked. As if he was hiding something nasty. But then also, Draco Malfoy always smirks.

‘Now listen,’ Juno said, tossing back her blonde hair. ‘You don’t have the right to com—‘ She stopped, and an expression of alarm filled her face. Behind Draco, very vivid, amongst the crowd, was the hairy and huge Hogwarts gamekeeper Rubeus Hagrid.

Shit!

What would the rest know if Juno was secretly meeting Draco Malfoy?

Shit again!

Draco turned back and noticed him, too.

Juno immediately pulled Draco, away from the crowd, to put as much distance as possible from Hagrid. She didn’t know where she was going, and they elbowed their way past groaning and bad-tempered witches and wizards, but finally arrived at a deserted filthy and smelly narrow alley. They leaned against the flaked wall, panting.

‘What was the purpose of that?’ Draco snarled breathlessly, clutching at his chest.

‘Didn’t you see Hagrid, monkey-brain?’ Juno growled. She couldn’t believe someone could be so slow in the uptake.

‘He didn’t see us together,’ Draco roared again. ‘You’d better use that pair of buttons on your face better next time!’

‘ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME?’ Juno yelled, temper rising. ‘STOP THAT STUPID SMIRK OR I’LL PUNCH YOUR LIGHTS OUT!’

‘Do you want a bet or not?!’ Draco said, and he continued smirking.

‘Huh? What bet?’

‘We both want compensation.’

‘ME, MORE LIKELY,’ Juno growled.

‘SO THIS IS WHAT I’M OFFERING YOU,’ Draco shouted angrily. ‘Now stop acting like a piece of shit and listen to me.’

‘I’m listening, and it better be good!’

‘Just a simple bet—coin throw. On one condition. The one which loses, shall be the other’s slave for a year,’ Draco said softly, as if this was something so important and could not be repeated.

Being the type of those who acts first then think, Juno immediately agreed, yelling and spitting it out. If she didn’t say yes, that means she was giving up and calling it quits, and she wasn’t going to do that. Having Draco Malfoy sneer and mock her was the last thing she wanted.

‘Then we shall make an Unbreakable Vow then,’ Draco said, withdrawing out his wand with his long pale fingers. ‘Beware—once you agree, there is no turning back.’ When Juno didn’t respond, Draco added, ‘You know what is an Unbreakable Vow, right?’

‘OF COURSE I KNOW! STOP MOCKING ME!’ Juno spit. Then, without hesitation, she joined her right palm to Draco’s left one. His fingers were longer, and they protruded over hers. She stood bravely, her nose in the air, eyes staring boldly up at Draco’s blue-gray ones. Oh, did she know the consequences, when she joined her palm to his? Nevertheless, there was no turning back. She had to maintain her ego; she had to illustrate to him that she was not afraid. It’s a fifty-fifty chance.

‘Is it counted as performing magic?’ Juno snapped.

‘No, we are not using spells,’ replied Draco. ‘Can we start now?’

Juno glared and nodded.

‘I, Draco Malfoy,’ Draco started, grasping his wand with his right hand.

‘I, Juno Emily,’ Juno said, still spitting and high-tempered.

‘Hereby agrees on a bet.’

‘Hereby agrees on a bet,’ she repeated again, calming down a little. Well, maybe because Draco himself had calmed down.

Big deal.

‘The one who loses, shall be the other’s slave for a year.’

Again, she repeated.

‘I vow so.’

‘I vow so.’

And both of them watched as golden sparks flew out of the tip of wand, indicating a bond which has just been entwined between them.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, message, subscribe if you like. I'm open to criticism and ideas. :)
Love you all.