Status: Comment?

Chasing Happiness.

12.

Drayden sat in the middle of the back row of the cinema, in-between John and Pat unfortunately. Everyone who knew Pat knew that the boy couldn’t sit still through a commercial let alone a movie, which meant constantly while the movie was rolling, the boy was shaking his knee, tapping the armrest, shuffling in his seat, breaking Drayden’s concentration and driving her crazy.

She wasn’t even able to laugh when all the family was doing a strip tease crazy dance at the end of Little Miss Sunshine because Pat, accidentally nudged Drayden making her choke slightly on her drink, only beginning to recover as the title credits began rolling.

Quickly she picked up the bag, following the boys out of the room and into the hallway, grabbing John by the shoulder mumbling to him quickly that she was going to freshen up before ducking into the crowd and pushing the door to the bathroom open.

After cueing for a spot at the mirror, Drayden quickly washed her hands, drying them hurriedly before looking at the reflection, cringing slightly at the bright purple of the bruise around her right eye. After trying and failing for a good five minutes to adjust her fringe to make it look like a shadow, she gave in with a sigh, heading out the room.

Before she could open a door, a hand pulled at her arm, making her stagger slightly and loose her footing as she turned around looking at the stranger with a confused face.

The woman was a couple of inches taller than Drayden, dressed elegantly with her natural grey hair pulled back into a neat burn, her dark blue dress clean and pristine covered by a white buttoned up cardigan, her stockings ladder free while her black lace up shoes with scuff free, her ageing eyes looking at Drayden with sorrow.

“Sweetie, no one should suffer, call this number and they will be able to look after you” she spoke, her words softly laced with sympathy and wisdom, patting her caringly on the shoulder before exiting the room, beckoning a little blonde haired girl, no older than five, taking her hand as they entered the busy corridor.

Drayden looked down at the card slightly, the words buzzing around her head a few jumping out at her such as “domestic violence” and “abuse”, feeling slightly vulnerable and embarrassed Drayden ducked her head down, trying to hide her eye as she walked down the corridor and began looking for her friends. Noticing them stood next to the woman, who gave her another sympathetic look before then turned to eye up the boys as Drayden approached the, approached them.

“Can we leave now, please?” Drayden asked, not wanting the woman’s stare on her, thinking she knew what was going on in Drayden’s life when she really didn’t.

“Yeah” John said, immediately picking up on Drayden’s uncomfortable posture before leading her outside, his warms wrapping around her shoulder protectively, Drayden could hear the old woman tutting behind her, causing her cheeks to burn as John opened the car door for her.

“Draydey, what’s wrong?” Pat asked, pouting slightly as he sat next to her in the back seat, instantly feeling upset by his friend’s sudden attitude.

“Nothing…it’s silly” Drayden mumbled looking at her hands, as she heard the door’s shut signalling that John and Jared where now in the car.

“Please tell me?” Pat said, giving Drayden his infamous puppy dog eyes, as she glanced up and saw him she sighed knowing it was

“This old woman saw me in the bathroom and gave me this…I didn’t know it was that bad” Drayden mumbled taking Pat’s hand in hers, slipping the card into it before letting go so he could read it, her eyes looking at the seat focusing on a loose thread.

“Drayden this is fucking bullshit, ignore that woman she doesn’t know what she’s fucking talking about, and even if she did know she was probably trying to help but in the end may of ended up stirring shit” John roared, obviously receiving the card from Pat, Drayden refused to move her attention from anything but the thread of string.

“Sweetie you’re eye doesn’t look that bad, it’s just obvious because it’s a tiny imperfection on your otherwise beautiful face” Jared said from the seat in front of her, as Drayden looked up slightly to see Jared glancing at her over the head rest, sending her a small smile that she tried to return.

“Thanks guy I’m just being silly…I just, it’s everything feels so different now between Kennedy and me since I’ve met Nick. And I like Nick a lot but I don’t want to lose Kennedy” Drayden stuttered as they guy’s exchanged knowing glances before John put the car into drive and headed to the next destination.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh. Comment?