‹ Prequel: When A Rose Blooms
Sequel: Tell Me What You Know
Status: Work in progress but sevre writers block means very slow updates :S

By The Begonia

Chapter 4

“Scott!” Ellis hollered from his study, a couple of minutes after hearing the door bell ring.

“I’m here Dexter, no need to shout. Besides how did you know it was me in the house?” Scott replied curiously from his position lent in the doorway of Ellis’s study.

“Simple Scott, you should know this by now and I heard the bell and the only one I’m expecting is you.”

“I’m honoured,” Scott replied sarcastically a cheeky grin on his face, one of his eyebrow’s, with a white scar dividing it in two, raised. “Besides how can I stay away when you send me such intriguing letters? A girl? I would never have suspected you to take an interest in a woman. I must say though Dexter you couldn’t have found a more interesting one.”

“Tell me.” Ellis commanded, turning to face him. Scott did not rush to do as he was told; he held no fear of Ellis Dexter.

“I’ll just sit down shall I, while you pour me a drink my, wonderfully hospitable host?” Ellis scowled at the man but without any real anger and snapped,

“Pour it yourself. Now tell me the information I paid you for.”

“Paid! Ha, I wish!” Scott laughed, but it held malice. Ellis had done more than enough for him over the years to merit no payment. Ellis’s eyes twinkled slightly with a disguised smile Scott noticed but did not mention it, just letting it add to his own broad smile.

“Well…” he pondered where to start, settling back in his chair with his freshly poured glass in one hand. “Miss Madeline East seemed fairly normal to start with; not overly beautiful, few friends, of high enough class to just about be acceptable in society, not rich that was easy enough to tell. Then, we get to her family and it gets more interesting. She has one brother – who I will tell you more about later and they both live under the roof of their god mother a Lady Lucinda Mumford, the widow of some Lord or other. This is obviously not normal so I found out why and prepare yourself for a shock.” He paused dramatically but Ellis ruined it.

“Nothing shocks me,” he stated dryly. Scott grumbled something quietly about Ellis and the words conceited, bastard, ruined, and surprise. Ellis scowled yet again as he caught this insult.

“I may be conceited. But bastard, not as far as I know and your knowledge is still a surprise just not a shocking one. Now continue.”

Scott mumbled something else under his breathe, which Ellis could not hear and chose to ignore, before he continued.

“Both their parents are dead. I know, I know that doesn’t sound every interesting I mean everyone’s parents die, but not like this. Miss East’s mother was murdered.” Scott watched with satisfaction as Ellis’s eyes widened slightly in surprise.

“By her husband no less!” he continued not stopping to hear Ellis’s reaction and ignoring him as he spluttered on his drink. “He was an absolute bastard of a man from what I found out; a gambler, a bad drinker and it was common knowledge he regularly beat his wife. He even made her parade around in public despite obvious injuries and took sick pleasure in seeing her squirm under everyone’s pitying gaze. He eventually beat her to death. Their son was present through it all but he seems fine from it so far. Madeline found her brother huddled over their mother’s body later that night. The father died not much longer after that fortunately –a hunting accident I believe. But, the boy and the girl were left with nothing but gambling debts and bad memories. The one good thing that happened to them was their god mother taking them in. Since then they seem to be doing fine. Madeline’s been accepted into society despite some viscous rumours still lingering about her parents. William East is another matter. I do not trust him and have not met any one who does.”

Ellis nodded in agreement thinking back to when he had met the young man, recalling the slimy, creepy way he had done his beck and call. He was a professional suck up. Scott was still talking.

“He’s a weasel as far as I can tell, determined to prove everyone wrong. He has his fingers in so many pies I couldn’t keep count. But he has made some very bad business decisions. So I came up with plenty about her family, but there seems to be nothing wrong Miss Madeline East herself.” Scott finished off with a deep breath after his long report.

Ellis just sat there and said nothing looking very serious and thoughtful. Scott did not take offense used to his quiet ways, but promptly excused himself with the simple and real excuse of other business matters. Ellis waved him off and absentmindedly sipped from his drink, digesting this new information. It certainly did not put off his interest in her he decided quickly, his past was decidedly worse.

But, what was he going to do about that interest was the bigger problem. He wanted to see her again. Yes, this was the best decision. See if it was just a passing, drunken attraction or a solid lust for the woman. But, then he would need to attend some event or the other. Ellis scowled at the mere idea. And what if she wasn’t at the one he attended. That was a problem. He needed to know what she would be attending. Portia would know. She was quite the social butterfly these days. He stood abruptly and prowled with focus out of the room.

~

Ellis walked the short distance to Cameron and Portia's town house and waited impatiently for someone to answer the door.

“Lord Dexter,” the butler greeted him looking flustered. “Come in milord and please make your way through to the parlour. Who did you wish to see? My Lord or my Lady? I’m afraid they are both, umm, indisposed at the moment but they can be with you shortly I believe.”

“Both please,” Ellis replied briefly sitting him self down, hiding his amusement well.

The flushed butler hurried away to rouse his master and mistress in the least embarrassing way he could hope possible preferably. Ellis let himself grin as soon as he was alone, relishing the feeling of merriment untainted by darker feelings for the first time in a long time. He did not know what made him feel so but he was going to hold on to it tight and not share it with any one lest it be taken away again. True to his mental resolve as a pleasantly pink Portia and a cheery, grinning Cameron entered the room his icy façade returned.

“Good afternoon Ellis,” Cameron greeted him enthusiastically clapping him on the shoulder, before sprawling comfortably in the armchair next to him.

Portia was more reserved in her greeting with a brief hug and swift kiss on the cheek as she murmured ‘hello’. Cameron grabbed her wrist as she walked past him to the sofa and pulled her back towards him till she was sat in his lap. Portia squealed in protest and tried to get away but Cameron kept her in place with his arms clamped around her waist.

She gave up quickly with a twinkling laugh and settled comfortably back against his chest. Ellis smiled slightly trying to ignore the tug of jealousy growing in him at their casual intimacy. He wanted that with someone. No, his conscience told him, you want that with Madeline. He pushed the thoughts swiftly from his mind and turned his attention back to Cameron and Portia. They were watching him curiously.

“What’s on your mind my friend?” Cameron asked him seriously, ruining his serious tone as he patted Portia on the bottom when she stood and went to the settee. She blushed a fiery red and slapped the back of his head angrily. He chuckled and waited for Ellis to answer. But before he could Portia asked a question that shocked her husband.

“It’s a woman isn’t it?” she stated bluntly, the question softened by an understanding smile. Ellis simply nodded. Cameron chortled and Ellis and Portia glared at him simultaneously. He shut up, knowing he would be kicked out if he didn’t. “How can we help?”
Ellis gave a small half smile at Portia’s straight to the point manner. “I wish to know which ball she will be at next.” Cameron let out another laugh accidentally and between chuckles told them,

“I can only imagine why!” Ellis glared at him angrily and seeing his murderous gaze Portia hurried her husband out of the room shutting the door firmly behind him.

“Ignore him. Maybe one day I’ll manage to cure him of his childish ways. Now tell me the name of your lovely lady.”

“You already have cured him of his immature tendencies, mostly,” Ellis told her good naturedly, feeling more relaxed around the younger woman he viewed as a sister. She returned the compliment with a thankful smile and waited for him to tell her what she wanted. “Her name is Madeline East, do you know her?”

Portia thought hard about it for a while before murmuring almost to herself, “Tall, dark hair, pretty eyes?” Ellis nodded. Portia continued, “I know of her in passing, but not as well as I would like to now. I believe she will be attending Lady Fairfield’s costume ball on Friday. Well everyone attends that event.”

Ellis glowered and groaned inwardly. He hated dressing up. He forced himself to smile though and thanked Portia graciously before leaving. She wished him good luck and watched him go with a shake of her head. Cameron snuck back in silently and hugged her from behind.

“Why so serious my love?” he asked kissing her neck and nibbling her ear lobe. Portia let her head loll back against his shoulder and replied slightly breathlessly.

“I was just wondering why romance is never easy.”

“We found it easy.” She elbowed him.

“Liar.”

“Portia, loving you will always be easy for me,” Cameron told her seriously, staring her straight in the eyes. She smiled and kissed him lovingly.

“I love you too,” she whispered against his mouth and then gave in to the passion of his kisses,
her mind still wandering. Would some one as serious and solitary as Ellis be able to trust his emotions? She really hoped so.
♠ ♠ ♠
new chapter but no new comments :C please read and let me know what you think :) jules x