Unveiling The Unexpected

Chapter XV

I couldn’t sleep that night. Not one bit. Kelsey was lying next to me soundlessly, and while she hadn’t thrown up after drinking that much, she came close.

I don’t want to sound hypocritical, because I’ve had my nights where I’ve done nothing but lie on the bathroom floor, but sitting by Kelsey as she sobbed next to the toilet suddenly seemed juvenile and all around stupid.

It was nearly two in the morning, and I couldn’t help it anymore. I removed myself from Kelsey’s grasp and stood, unsure and nervous of what to do next. Well, I knew what I wanted to do, but I couldn’t decide if it was worth it, or if I was still in a sleep-like state, and should just got back to bed.

I shook my head, as if hoping to suddenly wake myself up completely, before walking through the dark bus up from the back. I grabbed my sneakers and a jacket (I think it may have been Evan’s, but I wasn’t sure) before leaving the bus. The nighttime air was crisp and I immediately hugged the jacket closer to my body.

I wasn’t sure where The Summer Set’s bus parked, but I didn’t care. I was getting Remy back. The fact that Remy was somewhere other than our bus made it impossible to sleep, and while I rationalized it to myself that she would be happier near me, I knew deep down I just didn’t feel comfortable far away from her.

It felt like hours that I was walking – it was probably just around ten minutes. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I reached their bus, and an even bigger sigh of relief when I saw that the door to the bus wasn’t locked at night. In a way, it added to my case that Remy wasn’t safe there – who knows what kind of creeps could have snuck in at night.

Did that make me a creep, then? Whatever.

I was afraid I would have to make a scene to find Remy, but she was sleeping on the sofa right in the front of the bus. I leaned down so I was on her level, and I could see clearly she was passed out. With a gentle hand I slightly shook her shoulder, and her head rolled over to look at me. “Hey, Remy,” I whispered, watching as she rubbed her eyes with her hand.

“Zacky?” She mumbled, her voice heavy with sleep.

“Yeah, it’s me,” I replied. “I – I came to get you. Do you want to come back with me?” Remy didn’t say anything, instead just shrugged. And it broke my heart, because I figured she’d want nothing more than to be with me. It didn’t seem like she even cared.

“It’s up to you, Remy. I’ll carry you back to the bus, if you want.” I hoped that would be enough, and it seemed like it was. Remy sat up slightly and outstretched her arms for me to pick her up. She gripped her monkey and I held her blanket under one of my arms. I felt kind of bad about taking Remy without letting Chelsea or anyone else from the band know where she was going, but at the same time, I didn’t really care at the moment.

It seemed like it had gotten ten degrees colder when I stepped outside, and Remy instantly began shivering against me. She was only wearing her thin pajamas, so I quickly shrugged off the jacket and wrapped her in it. She was going to get sick, and it was my entire fault.

“Are you asleep?” I whispered a couple minutes later. I could feel Remy move in my arms.

“No. I’m cold,” she mumbled, her fingers gripping on my shirt.

“I know, we’re almost there, though.” Remy whimpered, but it seemed to make her feel better. I finally caught sight of the bus, and the warm air that hit my face instantly calmed me down. I dropped the jacket somewhere on the floor, before standing the middle of the bus wondering what to do. I didn’t want to sleep next to Kelsey tonight – I just wanted to be with Remy.

I sighed and sprawled out on my back on one of the sofas, with Remy lying limp on my chest. And for the first time all day, I felt somewhat happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for reading!