Kaleidoscope Life

Meeting the Gang

“Everyone,” Fez announced as I walked down the steps and through the door of the dimly lit basement at Fez’ friend’s house. “This is my host family’s daughter, Leighton.” He waved his hand at the teenagers gathered around the TV.

I brushed some of my blonde ringlets out of my face, pulled my Steve Miller Band shirt down, and took in their appearances.

A redhead I recognized from school – my Women’s History class, to be specific - was lounging on the tan couch, wearing a red shirt and blue bellbottom jeans. She was sitting next to a scrawny, pale kid that I knew – Eric Forman. We had gone to Kindergarten together, and we’d shared crayons. We’d been friends since then, and he smiled and waved when I nodded at him. Next to him was a guy with a muscular body and longer hair. His clothes fit him tightly, and he seemed entranced by my presence. A petite brunette with tan skin was on the arm of the couch, and she smacked the muscular guy. They must be dating, I thought.

In a lone lawnchair by the drier was a kid with a mop of super-curly light brown hair. He wore a black Aerosmith t-shirt, blue jeans, and a large pair of aviators. In his hand was a beer. I smiled – he must be the bad boy.

“Hey, Eric,” I said, waving towards the kid I’d grown up knowing. The last time we’d really talked was ages ago, and I missed the afternoons I’d spent in his kitchen doing homework.

“Hey, Leigh. How’ve you been?” He was wearing his trademark goofy smile.

“Decent, I guess. You?”

“Pretty good. Oh, this is Donna,” he said, pointing to the redhead.

“Yeah, she’s in my Women’s History class at school.” I flashed her a quick smile and she smiled back. “She’s one of the most outspoken in that whole group.”

She laughed. “I’ll take that as a compliment…” She paused briefly. “Do you prefer Leigh or Leighton?”

“Either or, I don’t care.”

“This is Michael Kelso, but we all just call him Kelso,” Eric went on, pointing to the muscular guy.

“You’re hot!” he blurted out, and I cracked up as the petite brunette hit him again.

“Michael!” she scolded in a high-pitched voice that pierced my eardrums. I shuddered. She’s gonna take some getting used to.

“He’s… he’s the king.” Eric laughed. “And that’s his girlfriend, Jackie Burkhart. She’s a sophomore cheerleader.”

I cringed. “I know you.”

She smiled and bounced up to me. “Everyone does. I’m super-happy to meet you – maybe we can go shopping sometime!”

“Yeah, and then we can ride unicorns to Fairyland and pick flowers with dragons!” I mocked. My imitation got a smile from the bad boy.

“Fine, Leighton,” she spat maliciously, huffing off back to her boyfriend.

“And I’m Hyde,” the bad boy said, standing up. His voice was gravelly and deep; it was very pleasant-sounding. He held out his hand, and I took it.

“Steven Hyde?”

“Yeah. Nobody calls me Steven but my mom and Mrs. Forman.”

“You’re supposed to be in my Psychology class.”

“I’m taking psychology?” He sounded honestly surprised.

I laughed. “Yeah. Mr. Reardon calls your name every day, but you’re never there.”

“Cool.” He smiled. “Anyways, Fez, why’d you bring her?”

“She needs to get out of the house more,” he said, and I went up to him and whacked him in the back of the head.

“Thanks, man. Appreciate that.”

“So what’re we gonna do tonight?” Fez asked.

“Chico and the Man is on tonight,” Kelso suggested. Jackie squealed.

“Yeah! Let’s watch that.”

There was a brief pause as we all looked at each other, desperate for another idea.

“Water tower?” Hyde suggested.

There was a murmur of assent from the group, and Eric smiled.

“Everyone in the Vista Cruiser!”

“Man, the Vista Cruiser’s only got six seats. There’s seven of us,” Donna pointed out.

“So that means somebody sits in someone’s lap, or someone doesn’t come.” Eric’s eyes darted to Jackie.

“I’ll sit in Michael’s lap. Come on, let’s go.”

“Everyone in the Vista Cruiser!” Eric said again, and we all filed out his basement door.

I could tell tonight was going to be fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story about my very favorite stoner boy. <3
Don't expect many updates - I'm focusing on NaNoWriMo right now, but I wanted to get one chapter up, at least.
Comments make my lifeee.
Lemme know what you think!