Status: Complete

System Failure

Your Interface Has Some Bugs

It always hurts when we break up with someone. It hurts more when we break up with someone though you didn’t want it to end. It's a serious heart breaker whenever you have to make it on your own without someone. It's hard to accept the fact that you're not wanted anymore. For Annie McLeod, she was let down without prelude and without grace. And worst of all, she didn't even get a chance to be someones girlfriend. She was lead on. She was told she was important but ended up being just something to use.

"I'm sorry, Annie. It's not you, seriously. I know how lame this sounds but it's really me. I'm just…" His voice was slow and soft. His green eyes were suddenly harsh, as if the words he said meant nothing to him. She had see him like that before, recently actually, but she never wanted to be at the end of those calculating eyes. His brown hair was pushed away from his face but loose strands fell in front of his forehead. Adam Moroni was a handsome young man. He had found Annie attractive and wanted to date her. They had made plans but he never had a chance to take her out. She looked forward to it for a long time. They had put it off for a month and though Annie had made efforts to get together and go on their date, Adam was always busy. They talked through texts and online but nothing more.

"I just don't understand, Adam," said the confused girl. They were in school, the end of it actually, and Adam had pulled her aside to talk to her. She had dressed nice for him, as she had done the whole month. He never mentioned it. He never bothered to say anything about how she looked. Once, he mentioned it, but other than that, there was only mention of him. That's all they ever talked about. Was him. "I thought you liked me. What happened?" The boy in front of her stared. She was a cute girl, her eyes were a pale blue and her hair was a shiny brown. Adam had always seemed to be more interested in talking to her for the minimum amount of time then moving on with something else, like she was just a routine he had to go through. But, there were those days where he would be genuinely concerned. Annie stared at him for a long moment before sitting down.

"Annie?" She didn't bother to speak. She couldn't think of something to say. What was she to say? "Annie what are you thinking?"

"What am I thinking?" she asked softly. "I'm thinking about you. How you said I was pretty and cute and how you said we were so great together. I'm thinking about what happened in the passed month. So I didn't see you for a week and you were with your grandparents in Italy for a week…I don't understand. We've talked every day."

"I know," he cooed. "Just, please. You know I'm awful about this. You had to have seen this coming, Annie." He tried to defend. Annie stared at her hands. She had seen it. She had seen how he barely talked to her, how he acted like she wasn't around. She had tried to put it off, tried to keep herself strong and optimistic. It wasn't working. She couldn't help but feel her heart rip in half.

"Why does it hurt more now that I hear it from you?" she asked. She looked up at him, her eyes half focused.

"You don't have to be upset," Adam said softly. "It's going to be okay. You know, in a few weeks, we'll be moved on." Annie looked at him. "I mean, you know, I'm not trying to say that you weren't important to me, Annie. I mean, you are important. It's just I…" Annie shook her head a little.

"Stop. I don't want you to be a liar anymore."

"I'm not a liar, Annie. I just--"

"You just told me we were totally made for each other, you made me think you really liked me, then you decided you need something better than me. Adam, I can't believe I thought those were lies," she said sarcastically.

"Annie,"

"Stop," she ordered. "Just stop."

"I just…You're too heavy."

"Excuse me?" she asked, her eyes flying open.

"No, I mean…you're too emotional about things. You don't get it. I can't talk to you about serious things. We're only seventeen. You always take it too far and I feel like I'm talking to an old person. I just can't…I can't let you be a part of my life. Not now anyway. I can't love someone like you."

"You…I don't think you get it. It's not about that. It's just dating. I don’t want anything from you than a person to hold my hand and a person who will kiss me whenever he has the chance. I've never had someone like me. I just.."

"I don't want to lose myself, Annie. With you, I feel different. I feel like I'm not the right person. Like I'm not good enough. I'm sorry bit I can't feel that way about you."

"Don't leave me, Adam…"

"I have to," he said as he turned around. Annie stared at him as he walked to the door. "I'll see you around…" She stared at him and as the door closed, felt her heart finally break inside her chest while she started to cry.