‹ Prequel: Honest in Lies

Deceptive in Truth

ten

It still didn't make sense. How had Gaspard lived through having his throat slit? After he drank copious amounts from her neck, he had explained to her everything. After she had left, Gaspard had managed to lap the blood of those around him. He was still extremely weak, but the blood was sustaining him. For those months, he had survived on the drying blood of his family, of the werewolves. It was mind blowing to Candy, how one could. But Gaspard had. He was sleeping now, a soft and delicate snore exhaling through him, laid against her was his head resting against her chest.

Her hands were stroking through his damp hair, wet from the bath still. His skin was still cold as ice but it had a tint of peach hues in it. He was alive, alive as a vampire could be. Candy closed her eyes, letting her head rest over his; slowly letting herself relax. It was unbelievable. How fate could work. How they had found each other, and lost each other so quickly. And now, after a year of solitude and a mindset of his being dead; he was here now. In her arms, with his arms wrapped behind her back. Protecting her. Holding her once more.

Candy had just begun to relax and drift as well, when the slightest movement of air tipped off her ears. Her blue eyes flew open, to look exactly into the eyes of Devin. How he had gotten into the house, was beyond her knowledge.

"He's alive?" he asked quietly, staring at Gaspard.

"Yes."

He didn't move, but stood stiff as a board. "How is that possible?"

"I'm not even sure myself," she whispered, stroking the scar on his cheek that resembled a dimple. "But he is."

"How is he? What condition was he in?"

"He was so bad," Candy murmured, feeling the need to hold his precious body closer to her. To feel the need of his strong hands holding her small and fragile ones. "He could barely stand."

"Did he feed?"

Candy had averted her eyes from him while they spoke, but now her eyes flickered to his. Should she risk telling him that Gaspard had fed from her very neck? But what was the true harm coming from it? "He fed from me."

Devin's eyes suddenly had an unknown emotion flash over his face. Candy narrowed her eyes in a small way, trying to pinpoint that second. Was Devin jealous? But why would he be? "How much?"

"A little," and by a little, Candy meant a lot. He needed her though, in his lowest time he needed her. What was she supposed to do, say no to her love? Who needed her blood to survive? No, that would be selfish of her.

Devin nodded, must have known she was lying. He knew though not to say anything. "I'm glad he's alright."

"Why'd you come here?"

"I heard about what you did to the Coven."

"Yeah?"

"That was a stupid move Candy."

Stupid? How had it been stupid? "If I didn't kill them first, they would have came after me. You know it. You were the one who even said the half breeds and other species were after me." Candy was careful to keep her voice light and airy, as to not disturb Gaspard.

"I didn't say though, go out and kill them all." he scolded her.

Candy ground her teeth together. She hadn't even killed the entire Coven. Just a few. "I didn't take the entire group out. Only two who came at me. I'm not about to sit back and wait for them to all ban together to take me down, Devin. I'm doing what's going to keep me alive for the longest." she hissed out, the rows of fangs starting to press through and replace her regular teeth. Devin was beginning to press buttons she didn't exactly like being pressed.

"Funny, thing is a few days ago you would have begged them to kill you."

Candy openly narrowed her eyes, her lips pulling back over her teeth to reveal those deadly teeth that shot fear through werewolves and innocent people caught in their path. "Get out."

Devin stood there a few moments later. Candy hissed lowly. She meant it. Devin may have been Gaspard's childhood friend, but she wouldn't hesitate in killing him. He must have known this, because in the next moment he was gone. Candy let her tense muscles uncoil and fold back into Gaspard. her lips pursed together and Candy let her eyes close, and sleep of some sort came to her.