‹ Prequel: Honest in Lies

Deceptive in Truth

four

Candy looked at him as if he had grown an extra limb. “The half breeds? Want me dead? I am a half breed. How can they want me dead?”

“We were the peaceful breed. We were the breed that stayed out of the vampire and werewolf battle. When you killed the werewolves, and since you were with the vampire family…things got heated on our part. They want you dead.”

“They killed my fiancé,” she said brutally, hissing with venom through her teeth. “They killed his entire family, and the closest thing I would have ever gotten to one.” She threw her hands up, after they balled into her hair. “Kill me then. Which is why I’m guessing you’re here. Because they sent you. You’re the guinea pig.”

“The guinea pig for what?”

“To see if I’m beatable.”

He snorted, smiling wickedly so that small dimples popped through his skin. “You seriously…?” he chortled. “You seriously think you could beat me?”

“I know this for a fact. I’m well rounded. I could have you flat on your back squealing like a piglet for mercy.”

His upper lip curled in slight disgust. “My name’s Devin. I take it this is a challenge to superiority?”

“More than that,” Candy said through a closed jaw.

Her sentence wasn’t even out of her lips, when her arms were wrenched behind and above her; in a position she knew all too well. It was the position she had watched them all die in, watched Gaspard die. This Devin character had her somehow locked in the same position. Candy screamed out, fighting it with insane power. Still, it was nothing comparable to a werewolf’s a year ago, and it wouldn’t compare to a half breed.

“Let me go!” she cried, tears instantly flowing freely.

Devin instantly released her, his grip not even that tight to have begun with. She rolled into the fetal position, cradling her arms close to her chest. Her sobbing was heavy, as her face caved into the carpet. What sounded like an animal being strangled came from the back of her throat as she lay there. So many emotions that she had pushed down, and stored away. They weren’t supposed to come back up. The feelings of anguish, perturbed, sad and remorseful. She could never experiment with those feelings again because of what had happened.

“Candy…?” Devin said softly, his body hovering near her.

“No,” she cried out, burying her face with her hair. “I’m fine.”

“I didn’t…I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“It wasn’t you,” she said, mouth mumbled into the carpet. “That’s how they did it. That’s how they made me watch him die.” He went silent. He didn’t know. Of course he didn’t know, he didn’t even know her. “Which is why I killed them, which is why I won’t let you kill me.” she said with a tone of defiance in her voice. “So go ahead, take your best shot.” She sniffed.
Devin was silent. Instead of saying anything, he kneeled beside her. “I wasn’t sent here to kill you, Candy. They don’t even know who I am, to be honest. Not the higher rankings at least. It’s not like my parents or family can shun me anymore than they have. I came here to protect you Candy. To help.”

“Why would you want to help me?”

“I knew Gaspard. He was my best mate. His family loved me, regardless of my species. I felt welcome.”

“You knew him?” she sobbed out.

“When I was a lad, of about fifteen. Of course he wasn’t fifteen, but he damn well played it off like he was. But I knew him. And…and then I heard about what happened through the loop hole. I knew people would want you dead, they thought you were the breaking of the veil. People are going to try to kill you at all costs. I think…you need someone.”

“You’re trying to say I’m lonely. And that you’re lonely.” It wasn’t a question; she could hear it in his voice.

She could hear the uncertainty in his sigh. “Right. I am lonely. But I know he wouldn’t want people to lonely over him.”

“I live alone.”

“But you don’t have to.”

“I prefer it.”

“You prefer it because it gives you time to wallow,” she looked at him sharply. “And when you wallow you see him, remember him don’t you? And it gives you hope that somehow, in some crazy way Gaspard will come back to you, right? That’s why you still wear the ring. Because you think he’ll come around. He’s dead, Candy. He’s never coming back. You need to move on.”

“Who are you to tell me what to do?”

“I’m not. I’m just saying-”

“Get out. If I wanted help I would go to a psychologist, not some half breed know it all who probably really does want it out for me. I’m sorry Devin. I don’t mean to sound prude, but leave. Just….just leave.”

“I’m always going to be around though.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments + feedback? <3