‹ Prequel: Honest in Lies

Deceptive in Truth

five

She was lying on the carpet still, sprawled on her back. Candy didn’t dare move because she had the best imagery for her right now. Eyes open as well as her entire body, she could picture his touch. Enveloping her in tender love and care, something she so desired. His love. The love that would wrap around and make her whole again. Gaspard Blackstone; the only love that would ever burn for eternity for her. Though he wasn’t there, she could feel it. Almost as if he was alive, and able to weave his heart to hers.

“Candy,” he almost seemed to call to her through her imagination. “Candy, come to me.”

She seemed to awaken, almost immediately. Candy sat straight up, rising to her feet. “Gaspard?” she whispered, wandering out of her room into the rest of the house. “Where are you?”

“Come to me,” his voice whispered again.

Candy didn’t hesitate but moved swiftly to the roof of her loft. “You’re not here,” she whimpered.

“Come to me,” he called again, this time over the ledge. “Candy I need you.”

She ran to the ledge, blinded by a sudden urgency that filled her. She placed her hands on the rough and flat surface, leaning over with a smile on her face. “Gaspard!” the ledge was wet, without a doubt and as she was leaning over; Candy slipped.

She hadn’t even noticed she was until she was holding on by her hand. It wasn’t like she was scared of falling; she knew she’d turn out fine. Maybe that was the problem. That she knew she’d turn out fine, when all she wanted was to turn out bad for once. It was almost willpower for her not to hold on, but almost too easy for her to let go.

Slowly, Candy let her fingers peel away. Right before she was about to begin a plummet, a hand grabbed onto her wrist. Her eyes shot up to glower at her ‘savior’. Devin. “Let me go!” she exclaimed, writhing about in the air. A sudden spout of rain and wind smacked into her, causing Candy to slip casually out of his grasp by a little.

“I didn’t know suicide was on your list of things to do,” he grunted, pulling her up a little, for her to only slip from the wetness of her skin. “So I kind of need to keep you alive.”

“Why?” she said, determined to make him drop her.

“Because! I’d rather not have a preventable death on my hands.” And with one last heave, he pulled her back over the ledge, slipping on his foot as he did so, falling back.

Candy, being in his grasp, fell with him, slammed into his chest. Her face smacked into his chest; surprised by the sudden broadness of it. Groaning she turned to look at him, who was looking down at her intensely. Their faces were not extremely close, but she could feel the air from his nose hailing down on her. “Do you…”

“What?” she said, breathless from the action.

Devin didn’t say anything. Instead, he pulled her up gently so that her face was near his, and kissed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
so it's short. the next one will be long, because, ahemahem, you can guess what's going to happen out of spite.