‹ Prequel: Honest in Lies

Deceptive in Truth

six

Candy pulled away, scrambling away from him. “No. no, no, no, no.”

Devin shot up standing, coloring almost instantly in the face. “I-I I didn’t mean that. I don’t know what overcame me, I’m sorry.”

She crammed up, knees to her chest. candy wasn’t crying, doing anything that would have possibly upset her; just shutting down mentally. She kept repeating no, hoping it would do some good. Devin stopped muttering, and turned to look at her.

“Candy?” he asked concern in his voice as he peered at her. “Are you alright?” he squatted down in front of her.

Out of the blue, she jumped forward, her vampire fangs taking form but disappearing almost immediately. Instead, she moved fluidly over him, past and back into her loft building. The door slammed against her back, which she rested softly on to sob. But not for long, she could hear his footsteps. Candy took off running down the flight of stairs that would empty to her door. As she did so, the door opened and slowly Devin’s form came into view. Before she could even resume running, his strong arms were around her.

And she was crying. Crying over everything. Devin cooed her, but it was useless. Candy was crying so hard and viciously she fell through his grasp, to which he knelt down to pick her into his arms again. “He left me, he left me when he said he wouldn’t.” she buried her head into her hands, ashamed. “He lied to me.”

Devin pet her hair, smoothing it back. “It’s not your fault. Something bad happened, and it’s not your fault. You didn’t cause it.”

“Yes I did,” she said refusing to his side. “I killed those people.”

“No,” he said harshly. “No you didn’t. I know you didn’t. You’re not that type of person.”

“But that’s why he’s dead.” She sobbed. “Because of me.”

“No, Candy stop saying that. You need to realize that this isn’t your fault. None of it is, or ever will be. Look at me,” he turned her face gently so she did so. “Gaspard loved you. You loved him. Nothing, will ever change that. Ever. Do you understand me?”

She nodded her meekly. Devin didn’t say anything, but moved her into the loft, closing the door behind him. He all but ushered her into the bedroom, and laid her down to rest. Devin stood though, distancing himself from her.

“I’m going to leave now. Can I trust you won’t try to throw yourself over anymore ledges?” he was trying to crack a joke, but it was useless. Neither of them laughed.

“Don’t go.” She said quickly, peeking up from the soft blanket that was covering her. “Please.”

Devin had already turned to leave, but turned around slowly at her words. “Are you sure you want that?”

“I don’t want to be alone tonight,” she said quietly. “I don’t want to have to be alone with my mind tonight.”

Devin peered down at her, a war waging in his eyes. “Candy, I don’t want to make you feel like you-”

“Please, Devin, I can’t be by myself tonight I’ll go insane.” She pleaded.

He frowned softly, but faltered and sat on the edge of the bed. Slowly, he leaned down next to her, resting on top of the sheets. His head rested softly next to hers, not crossing any visible boundaries. Devin’s nose brushed softly across hers, but he pulled back slightly. Candy closed her eyes and nuzzle into her soft pillow, feeling him go rigid.

“Devin, relax. I’m not going to do anything; you’re not going to do anything. Just…relax.” She breathed through her nose.

“Candy,” he said softly.

“Hmm?”

“Never mind,”

“No, what is it?” she pressed.

“No, it’s wrong.”

“Please?” she whispered.

Devin sighed indifferently. “If we were to….to do anything, would…no, would you…would you want something out of it?”

Candy stopped moving entirely, opening her eyes slowly to find him looking at her. “What do you mean?”

“If…if we were to have sex, would….” He trailed off.

“Are you asking me if we were to have sex, would I want a relationship afterwards?” her voice was slow and trained, Gaspard’s face passing over her view.

“Yes,”

Candy paused, blinking her eyes slowly. How did she even answer this? She didn’t want to hurt him, in any way. He had been nothing but sweet to her. “I…I don’t know Devin. I’m…I’m still torn up about Gaspard. I still love him so much.”

“I know you do, and I don’t want to try to replace him but-”

“You want someone to make you warm at night and let you fulfill yourself with? Because you’re lonely?”

“No. Because I think I deserve to be happy again.”

Candy paused, staring at his chest. “Nobody deserves to be happy.” She said.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments for updates.