My New Dad Hunts Ghost

Laughter

Tracy's POV

I sat on my bed with my back against the wall; I kept my eyes on the picture of my mom and me above my mirror. "Nick I'm telling you I've never heard someone cry that hard when they were awake." I got up and put my ear to the door, Zak was on the phone.

Zak's POV

"You’re sure she was crying?"

"No sobbing."

"Wow, well what did she say?"

"That it was just a nightmare."

"Well maybe it was," he wasn't listening.

"Nick I've never had a nightmare in my life that would make me cry and scream like she did, have you?"

"No," he sighed.

"Dude, I'm asking you for help. What should I do?"

"Maybe you should take her to a doctor," he suggested.

"Dude she's not sick." He laughed.

"Not that kind of doctor man," he chuckled.

"Oh," I said realization hitting me. "Maybe I will; do you know of any good ones?"

"Dr. Parker's a good one; I'll text you the number when I find it."

"Ok, thanks Nick."

"Bye," he hung up.

Tracy's POV

He was going to take me to a doctor? I don't know how I felt about that. I guess he's trying to help me but I'm not comfortable discussing my problems with someone. I went to grab a book that I put on top of my mirror. Since I wasn't planning on sleeping might as well read.

Zak's POV

I woke up the next morning to find Tracy on the couch watching TV. There were bags under her eyes and she was yawning. I don't think she even slept last night.

"Did you even sleep last night?" I asked.

"No," she muttered.

"What?" I asked shocked.

"I didn't feel like it," she answered.

"This doesn't have anything to do with that nightmare from last night, does it?"

"Can you just leave it alone please, it's nothing." She started to get up to walk away.

"Tracy wait," I pleaded. She stopped and turned towards me. “Listen this has to be something if it keeps you up at night. I'm just- please let me help you." I begged. She looked me in the eyes for a second then nodded.

Tracy's POV

The look in his eyes was… I don't know exactly what it was. Fear? Distress? Sadness? Worry?

I went into my room to get some clothes before I headed to the shower I heard Zak on the phone again.

"Hello, I'd like to make an appointment with Dr. Parker for my daughter and me." The other person must've been talking because he stayed quiet for a while. "Well as soon as possible." Another pause. "Wow 2:30 today would be great, ok thank you, bye." A knot formed in my stomach as I made my way to the shower.

Zak's POV

I heard the shower turn on and figured I'd eat something before I started to get ready. I grabbed a slice of pizza from last night and threw it in the microwave. I finished about half of the pizza before throwing the rest in the trash. The knot in my stomach took up too much room for food to go in there. I decided to go get ready.

Tracy's POV

I finished getting ready around 12. I went to the living room to find Zak on the couch just changing through the channels; he didn't seem to be paying close attention to what he was watching.

"Hey," he said looking over at me.

"Hey," I answered.

"We got an appointment at-"

"2:30 I know," I muttered.

"Oh well we got a while so if you want to get some breakfast-"

"I'm not very hungry," I interrupted again.

"Yeah me either," he chuckled. "But," he smiled. "I could go for some ice cream. What about you?"

"I'd kill for a milkshake," I smiled back.

Zak's POV

We walked into the little diner a little ways outside town. We sat at a booth across from each other. A lady who looked to be in her 50's came to take our order.

"Hello my name's Carrie, what can I get for you today?"

"Well Carrie I'd like some vanilla flavored ice cream and my daughter would like a milkshake."

"Ok, what flavor, sweetheart?" Carrie said turning to Tracy.

"Umm, do you have cookies and cream?"

"We sure do; anything else?"

"Just some milk, please," I answered.

"Sure."

"Thanks."

Tracy's POV

"Can I ask you something?" Zak asked.

"Sure," I muttered.

"Why were you fighting with that girl at the orphanage?" I started to laugh.

"Umm... I may have been messing around with her boyfriend." I chuckled a little embarrassed.

"What?" He asked shocked. I held my hands up.

"In my defense I didn't know he had a girlfriend." Our desserts came just then. I took a sip of my shake as he sat there shocked. He finally looked me in the eye and we both started to laugh. "What's so funny?" I giggled.

"I don't know, why are you laughing?" He asked.

"I don't know." I laughed harder. We finally stopped laughing and started to eat. I looked at his wrist and saw a small scar; I reached out and traced it. "What's that from?"

Zak looked at it for a second. "When we first started investigating; before the show, I heard a noise that kind of freaked me out, I ran the other way and tripped and cut my wrist on some broken class." I started to giggle.

"You ran?"

"Hey I was still new!" He defended. We both started to laugh again. He reached out and pointed at a little scar on my wrist. "Where's that from?"

I looked it over. "When I was thirteen me and the neighbor girl took some trash to burn because we were bored-"

"You burn trash when you're bored?"

"Hey I was thirteen, leave me alone! Anyway, we just threw a bag in and one of the bags had a can of hair spray, just when I noticed it we heard a big pop! The can flew in the air and some of it melted and landed on my wrist." Zak was laughing his ass off. "It's not funny," I pouted.

"You're right I'm sorry." He said finally stopping the laugh.

"Of course I'm right it burned like crazy!"

"You think that burned? I was investigating this place called "Bobby Mackey’s Music World", right? Out of nowhere when I'm in the basement my back starts burning like crazy. I lift up my shirt and there are 3 scratches!"

"Where did they come from?" I asked shocked.

"Nowhere! That's the problem!" We stayed silent thinking this over for a second then burst into laughter. The next 2 hours were spent sharing stories and laughter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Zak doesn't really have a scar on his wrist, I was just trying to give them something to talk about. But as you should all know, the 3 scratches are real. And as for Tracy's burnt wrist, that actually happened to me when my cousin and I were burning trash. XD