My New Dad Hunts Ghost

Your Child's Hugs

Tracy's POV

I felt worse coming back the doctors; I really didn't want to go digging in my dreams. I don't know exactly what's in there but I remember my past and if they are one in the same I'd rather not discuss it. I looked at the clock to see that it was 4. Zak sat on the couch and buried his face in his hands.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" He asked after he pulled his head back up. The look in his eyes was so sincere I almost nodded, why did he have this effect on me? Like I trusted him. I just shook my head and sat next to him. I felt bad because when I answered him his head fell back down. I couldn't help it, I reached out and put my arms around his torso and squeezed gently. He grabbed onto my hands and wrapped them around himself tighter. I buried my face in his back and inhaled his scent. There was something there, for the first time in two years I felt safe. It brought tears to my eyes and I suddenly felt guilty for getting his shirt wet. He must've noticed because he turned in my arms but he didn’t react like I had expected. I expected him to move away from me for getting his shirt wet, being mad at me for crying on him instead he turned around and pulled me closer to him. My face buried in his chest and I started to cry harder.

He wrapped his arms tighter around me and I could feel his cheek on the top of my head. “It’s ok, shh, everything will be ok.” He whispered softly to me over and over again until the words somehow made a lullaby. Not just any one, the best one I’ve ever heard because for the first time in two years I believed the words that came out of a man’s mouth.

My eyelids begin to drop. Feeling safe in Zak’s arms I let myself fall into a deep sleep.

Zak’s POV

I felt horrible, I don’t know what happened to her but I wanted to know. I wanted to make everything ok for her. I was her dad that’s what I was supposed to do. I put my head in my hands in distress.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" I asked as I pulled my head up. She starred at me for a moment before shaking her head no. I let my head fall back down in my heads. I felt her sit next to me on the couch. After a moment I felt her arms going around me. I took a deep breath, is she hugging me? I could barely explain the feeling, it was, I don’t know like I had someone here that needed me. To protect them, take care of them, shelter them. I knew the person behind me was put on this Earth to be my daughter and I was put on this Earth for her, in that moment I’d gladly lay down my life for hers. I tightened her hands by pulling them tighter around me.

I suddenly felt the back of my shirt get wet, she was crying. I turned around in her arms and pulled her closer to me. It broke my heart to hear her cry. “It’s ok, shh, everything will be ok.” I whispered over and over again. The crying finally stopped and I looked at her face to find her sleeping. Not wanting to let go or wake her I laid her on the couch and put a pillow on my lap and gently laid her head on top of it. I combed the hair from her face. Just then my phone rang; I quickly grabbed it so it wouldn’t wake up Tracy.

“Hello,” my voice came out raspy.

“Hey man, are you okay?” It was Aaron.

“Yeah I’m fine,” I whispered.

“Why are you whispering?”

“Tracy’s sleeping.”

“Ok… I’m coming over to set up for the party.”

“Wait, what?”

“The ‘welcome to the family’ party for Tracy, remember? I got another call I’ll be there soon.”

“No, wait Aaron.” He hung up before I could tell him not to. Crap. I don’t think she’s ready for that yet. I decided to call Nick and cancel. I got an annoying busy signal. I hung up to redial but the door opened. “What the hell,” I asked alarmed but relaxed to find Aaron.

“Hey man, help me get some of the stuff-“

“Shh!” I warned. He looked at Tracy and mouthed the words ‘I’m sorry’. I gently lifted her head and got off the couch before putting her head back down. I pulled him into the kitchen. “I don’t think she’s ready for a party.”

“What? You’re mom, dad, and sister are already coming. You can’t back out.”

“You don’t understand I don’t think she can handle it right now.”

“Handle what she’s 16!”

“You don’t get it, she’s not comfortable yet and I don’t want to force anything thing.”

Tracy's POV

I opened my eyes to find myself alone in the living room, I started to panic. My breath became quickened along with my heart beat. Where’s Zak did he leave me?

“Zak?” I called out in fear. I saw him emerge from the kitchen and he must’ve of seen me start to cry because he wrapped his arms around me. I pulled him closer to me and started to cry.

“Sweetie, I’m here, don’t worry,” he coaxed.

“I didn’t know where you were, I thought you left. I thought you left me.” I cried.

“No, Sweetie, never. I’m here now, don’t worry.” I started to calm down; Zak could tell because he pulled away, he wiped the remaining tears from my face. “Did you have another nightmare?”

“No, I think I was too tired to dream.” He smiled at me.

“Ok I think you should go back to sleep.” Too tired to argue I just nodded. He walked me to my room.

“I’ll be in here if you need me just yell.” He smiled I nodded and he left. I took a deep breath and let sleep overcome me once again.

Zak’s POV

“Is she alright?” Aaron asked as me when I walked back into the kitchen.

“Yeah, she’s just a little shaken up.”

“Geez man I didn’t know she was like that.”

“Yeah,” I sighed as I put my head it my hands.

“Dude I don’t know what to do. The way she looks and responds to people, it’s like she doesn’t trust anyone. She seems to be in constant fear even when she sleeps! Sleep is the one place where you’re supposed to be free from stress and to her it’s the worst place!” I could feel myself get angry. “What did they do to her that caused my daughter to be like this? It’s bad enough I don’t know who did but I don’t even know what they did!”

“Dude she’ll tell you when she’s ready.” Aaron said; that made me feel worse.

“She’s my daughter Aaron, I‘m supposed to protect her.”

“Zak you can’t protect her from the past. It’s already happened. All you can do is keep helping her through it and that’s what you’re doing.”

“I just don’t know about this party, man.”

“What? This is the perfect time for a party!”

“Aaron,” I sighed.

“Zak,” he sighed. “Everyone’s already coming. Besides one thing she does need is family that she knows is there if she needs them and that’s what this party’s showing; that we love her and if she needs us to just call.” I sighed but he made a good point.

“Fine,” I muttered and he smiled.

“Now help me unload the truck.” We walked to the truck and unloaded a bunch of stuff from the back. We made two trips.

“What is all this stuff?” I asked once we were back in the kitchen.

“Some decorations, some snacks for the party, some presents from me to Tracy.”

“What’d you get her?” I asked.

“I got her a GAC necklace and skull ring.” He pulled out two small present boxes and showed me the jewelry. In one box was the black skull ring with a sliver outlining.

“Dude, this is so sick!” I said taking a closer look. “How much was this?”

“You don’t want to know,” he chuckled. “Price doesn’t matter for my new niece though.” He smiled. He opened the other box to show me our coffin logo on a necklace.

“These are awesome.” I commented.

“I know but let’s get off the subject of how awesome I am and get to decorating.” He started to empty all the bags.

Tracy's POV

I woke up and look at the clock to find out it was 6. I walked into the kitchen to find it decorated. Banners were hung up that read “Welcome Home” along with balloons that were taped to the wall. The table seemed bigger; it must’ve been those types of tables with a middle part that you could fold in. I noticed that there was bowls of chips and a punch bowl in the middle. I walked to the kitchen to see Zak standing looking up at Aaron, who was on top of a chair trying to hang up a pink banner that read “It’s A Girl!”

“Dude, it’s still crooked!” Zak yelled.

“Ow!” Aaron yelled.

“What happened?” Zak asked.

“I poked my finger with the tack.”

“Aaron! Can you go through a day without hurting yourself?”

“Yes!”

“Why the hell does it say it “It’s A Girl”? She’s not a newborn baby.”

“I know but when you get a new kid you’re supposed to get signs like these so I thought since you’re a new dad you should get one even if she’s 16.” He explained.

“Aaron you’re an idiot.” Aaron finally put up the banner and got off the chair.

“I think it’s funny.” I shrugged they spun around finally noticing me.

“Thank you! See she gets the joke.” He said making his way over to hug me ‘hello’. I hugged him back and looked at Zak.

“What’s all this for anyway?”

“We thought we’d throw you a ‘welcome to the family’ party. So everyone could meet you.” Zak informed.

“You guys didn’t have to do that.” I protested.

“Yes we did, so go change we only got an hour before it starts.” Aaron said. I waved bye and went to my room to get ready. I picked out one of the new shirts Zak bought. It was a red blouse with thin straps. I went to my mirror and whipped off my eyes since the crying had smeared my make-up. I decided on some red eye shadow and a thin line of liquid eyeliner. I traded my lip ring for a small stud. I changed into some black skinny jeans and flip flops. I put on my diamond earrings that my dad got me after I got my ears pierced. I heard some people come in, I sounded like Nick and Kris. Suddenly there was a knock on my door.

Zak’s POV

Nick and Kris came in carrying pots and trays of food. They also had boxes of what looked like presents. They went to put the food in the kitchen and I went to see if Tracy was ready. I went to her door and knocked.

“Come in.” She called. I slowly opened the door to find her sitting front of her mirror looking at me.

“Hey,”

“Hey,” she smiled softly. I sat at the foot of her bed, she turned towards me.

“If you don’t want to do this party I under-“

“No, it’s fine. I’m ok.”

“You sure?” I asked.

“Yeah,” she assured me.

“I just wanted to tell you Nick and Kris are here”

“Ok, I’ll be right there.” I got up to go out but before I left I turned back towards her.

“By the way you look very nice.” I smiled before leaving. I went to the kitchen to see what Nick brought. I looked in the pots to find beans and rice and a tray full of tacos. “Yum,” I muttered as I reached for one only to get my hand slapped.

“You can’t eat until everyone gets here.” Kris informed.

“What the hell?” I pouted. Nick and Aaron laughed at me. “Shut up!” I yelled before going to my room to change. I decided on a simple black button up.

I walked back out to see Tracy in the kitchen hugging Nick and Kris ‘hello’. She looked at me and smiled, I returned the favor. Just then I heard the doorbell ring. Well let’s get this party started
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took a while, comment? I really loved this chapter.