My New Dad Hunts Ghost

Better Off

Nick’s POV

Everyone stood staring at Zak waiting for a response. Tracy shifted from foot to foot waiting for the silence to end just like the rest of us.

“Guys, can you leave Tracy and me alone. I’ll call you tomorrow?” Zak whispered so softly that if we all weren’t dead silent we wouldn’t have heard it.

Everyone nodded before saying silent goodbyes to the both of them. I did the same before turning on my heel and walking out.

Tracy’s POV

I got more nervous when he asked them to leave. The way his voice sounded though made another wave of guilt go through me, he sounded broken.

I watched him closely for a moment but he stayed unmoving staring down at the ground; probably thinking what to say. I looked around the room.

It was a mess to say the least. Papers were all over the floor, they were from my file. He must’ve looked into it wondering if there was somewhere I’d go. I noticed the house phone in pieces on the other side of the room and empty cups of coffee lying around.

Such a mess over me? Another wave of guilt…

I couldn’t bear the silence anymore.

“Say something please?” I begged.

Zak’s POV

I looked up to see Tracy walk through the door, I froze.

She’s here, she’s home.

On that basis alone I wanted to jump for joy, run and hug her, laugh for no reason at all; I held it back though remembering my other feelings also.

Anger, sadness, fear, loneliness, happiness, joy, and most importantlyrelief.

I wasn’t sure whether to yell at her and complain about how worried sick I was or hug her and say how happy I am that she was back. I watched her closely, noticing how scared she looked, there was something else there too but I couldn’t place it.

One thing I was sure of, I needed to speak to her alone.

Tracy’s POV

He looked up at me surprised I had spoken.

“I don’t even know what to say,” he admitted after a moment.

I watched him as he started to pace.

“Do you know how worried sick I’ve been for the past seven hours?” He asked stopping and looking up at me; all I could do is shake my head and he started the pacing again.

“I called anyone and everyone I could to help me find you. I even yelled at the police!” He started to yell and I swallowed back tears.

“I don’t even understand why you left!” If I wasn’t so sacred I would have gotten angry and explained what I had told Nick.

“You know maybe everyone was right; I can’t handle a kid. Maybe you’re better off with someone else.” My heart dropped when he finished his sentence.

Zak’s POV

I don’t know why I said it, I didn’t intend to but I was just so angry.

She wasn’t better off somewhere else, she was better off here, with me.

I looked at her and my heart broke.

Her eyes were wide and flooded with tears, mouth shut tight holding in sobs that her body shook with even if I couldn’t hear them, and her hands shook at her sides fearfully.

I didn’t mean it. I repeated that over and over in my head but my mouth couldn’t move to tell her.

I was scared; scared about what she’d think, scared she hated me now, and scared she’d run away again. She didn’t do anything but stare at me with that same look until it was unbearable for me.

My brain started to work again as I moved towards her; my arms wrapped around her just in time for her to collapse into me. One of my arms held the small of her back while the other held and head to my chest.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it,” she began to sob into my chest. “It- it… won’t happen… again I-I’m so so-sorry,” her crying interrupted her talking and I shushed her.

“It’s ok, I didn’t mean it,” I said.

“Pl-ease d-don’t give me ba-back, I wa-wanna stay h-here with y-you,” she continued to cry.

“I’ll never give you back. I’m sorry for saying that.” I held her closer to me as guilt formed in my stomach.

“B-but you just sa-said,” she sobbed.

“Forget what I said. I was upset, angry, and scared so I didn’t mean it. I’m happy, happy you’re here, happy you’re home now, and happy you’re safe.” Her sobs grew silent as she stared to calm a little.

Soon only shaky breaths escaped her lips.

“Come on, let’s sit down,” I said and she stood up on her shaky knees and slowly walked back with me to the couch.

Once we were on the couch I pulled her into my lap. She curled up into a ball on my lap and I rocked her back and forth while I stroked her hair.

“I didn’t mean it,” I kept repeating over and over again.

“I’m sorry,” she stopped stuttering even if her breath was still ragged.

“It’s OK, shh, I’m not mad,” I insisted afraid she’d start crying again.

“I didn’t mean it…” I repeated again. I repeated that until I heard the even breathing of her sleep, I repeated it until I was sure everyone in the neighborhood was asleep, and I repeated it until I was asleep.

Tracy’s POV

I peeled my eyes open, yes peeled; that’s what happens when you cry yourself to sleep.

I was still on Zak’s lap, curled up like a cat. I didn’t understand how I allowed that to happen; how I allowed myself to show in front of him. I mean usually I hide my fear, anger, and sadness. Zak was the first man person I showed that type of emotion to since my dad.

That also left me confused; even if my pride didn’t let me call Zak my dad my heart sure did behind my back. Even if my heart has a mind of its own this mind still controls it. I say I need to discuss things about Zak, straighten myself out before I start calling him “Dad”.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really loved this chapater! I feel like it's getting me somewhere, next should be important too. Also Comment! Happy New Years even though it's the 2nd while I'm posting this...
-Nech