Status: active :)

Everyone's a Winner with a Heart That Small

Twenty Four

Image

After two days at home, Gigi was once again landing in Arizona. Ezra and Cora were waiting for her at the airport but when they met up with her at baggage claim, she didn't look happy. Ezra asked her if she was okay, but she didn't reply. Cora asked her what was wrong, but still she didn't say anything. They both tried getting her to talk in many different ways, but she wasn't saying a word.

When they made it back to the Covington house, she went straight up to her room and dumped her bag out on the bed. Ezra and Cora watched curiously as she rummaged through her clothes. Her fingers finally found the tan envelope and she picked it up, staring at it for a long moment before tossing it onto the bed in front of them, motioning for them to take it. Ezra cautiously picked it up and opened it, pulling out the large stack of papers that were inside it. He only took a few moments to read over the first page before handing it to Cora and leaving the room very angry.

Gigi fell face down onto her bed, not caring about the pile of clothes she was laying in. She'd spent the past two days in a bad mood and now that she was back in Arizona, that mood wasn't changing. Cora put the papers back into the envelope and tossed it on the dresser then went to lay down on the empty side of the bed, next to Gigi. She knew Gigi wasn't up to talking so she just sat quietly with her.

After wallowing around for awhile, Gigi got up and refolded all the clothes she'd carelessly dumped out of her bag and put them back in the drawer with her other clothes. She picked up her phone, which she hadn't checked since Ezra texted her at the airport, and found three new text messages. The first two were from Pat, who was extremely excited that she was back in town. The third was from John, who wanted to know when he would be able to see her.

Instead of replying to either of them, she dropped her phone back into her bag and changed into a bathing suit to go for a swim. Cora watched her curiously as she pulled her hair up into a bun on top of her head. "Do you want me to go with you?"

Gigi shook her head and left the room to go to the hall closet for a towel. Cora left her to herself and went to find Ezra while Gigi went downstairs to the pool. She spent an hour or so doing laps before going inside to find something to eat. Ezra was sitting in the kitchen, staring straight ahead. When he heard her come in, his eyes shifted to her in the doorway.

"You okay?"

Gigi took a seat on the bar stool next to him and sighed. "What do you think?"

He threw his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him, giving her a kiss on the forehead. "I'm sorry, G"

"Let's not talk about it"

"Sure. But if you ever do want to, you know where I am"

"Thanks"

"I'm heading out, but your best friend is upstairs and she's dying for you to talk to her or something"

"I don't want to talk," she pouted.

"Well, just do something to let her think she's helping you, okay?"

"Yeah, sure"

"Alright. I'll see you later"

As Ezra got up to leave, Gigi made herself a sandwich then went upstairs to take a shower. Cora was sitting on her bed when she made it back to her bedroom.

"Hey, sweetie"

"Hey"

"Are you okay?"

"I really just don't want to talk about it, Cor"

"That's fine. We'll do something else then. Movie?"

"Sure. Go pick one and I'll be there after I get dressed"

Cora headed to the media room while Gigi threw on some comfortable clothes. Before she left her room, she checked her phone again. Two more texts from John. She turned off her phone and stuffed it back into her bag then shut off the light as she left the room.

Thankfully, Cora had picked out a movie that was bloody and gory, giving her a chance to completely zone out and not have to think about her problems. After two movies, Ezra came back and Cora put in a third movie. Gigi excused herself, wanting to be alone. She didn't want to be around anyone, especially Ezra and Cora.

Gigi curled up in one of the pool chairs and laid back, looking up at the sky. She hoped they'd stay inside and just let her be. She heard the doorbell ring inside but she ignored it, hoping it was someone for her aunt or uncle. Instead what she got was a familiar voice calling her name. She sat up just as John came out the back doors. She stood and started to walk toward him as Ezra also came outside. Cora stood by the door, watching curiously.

"John, look, I'm really not up for hanging out right now"

"I gathered that from you not replying to my texts"

"I'm sorry, but I've just-"

"I know that you're not exactly happy at the moment"

She furrowed her eyebrows at him. "What?"

"Look, I know your last relationship was-"

Gigi cut him off, looking at Ezra annoyed. "You told him?!"

"Gigi, I didn't-"

"No, don't"

"I just wanted to know what was upsetting you. You wouldn't talk to me," John said, defending himself.

"If I had wanted you to know, I would've told you myself. I can't believe you went behind my back"

"Gigi, I'm sorry but-" Ezra started, stepping toward her.

Gigi shook her head. "You had no right, Ezra"

"Gigi, come on just talk to me," John begged.

"No, just-......just leave me alone. Both of you," she added, looking at Ezra.

His face fell as she turned on her heel and left the backyard, quickly heading up the stairs to lock herself in her room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gigi. So I'm sure some of you are probably confused right now but everything is going to be explained in the next chapter so don't worry. I'd love to know what yuo all think! Pretty please? :)