Kindred

001.

The swish of the doors let me know I’m no longer alone. I know immediately who my intruder is; his near inaudible footsteps always give him away. He remains silent as he moves towards me, close enough till he can sit down beside me.

“You weren’t at dinner, they got worried.”

I swing my legs back and forth over the edge of the pier; I rolled my eyes.

“They shouldn’t worry, I’m a big girl; I can take care of myself.”

I wasn’t a threat, besides this city would never let me be one, even if it did, it would do whatever I asked of it. I grinned over at him; he merely shrugged and turned his gaze back to the scene before us; the similar yet very different sky above us. Silence remained between us for a long while. He broke it first.

“When are you going to let go?”

I tensed. This wasn’t easy.

“How long did it take you?”

I didn’t keep the venom out of my response.

“I haven’t yet. I’ve learned how to live though.”

“I don’t know how to do that.”

It came out as barely above a whisper, but I knew he heard me. After a few moments of intense silence he spoke.

“You will.”

We sat a while longer; mostly till he got bored of doing nothing—such a restless man. He left me alone with my thoughts, bidding me a good night. In a city full of familiar names but strange faces, he’s been my constant companion these past two weeks. He’s very much unlike the man he reminds me of—that man, I don’t even know if he’s still alive. He’s kept me company at meals—only when his team doesn’t require him to be away.

Sometimes we just sit together, other times we talk. We share stories of what we’ve lost, the worlds we came from. Everyone else still can’t decide how to feel about me, my presence was rather unannounced.

“Calen? I need you to report to lab.”

I tapped my ear-piece with a smile.

“Sure thing Doc, see you in a few.”

“Thank you, Zelenka out.”

I changed directions and headed to the nearest transporter and pressed the area for the labs. After I made it to the area I noticed a man standing at the end of the hall, as if waiting for someone. Once I took in his dark complexion, his faintly graying hair and that tall, lanky frame that only he could have, I paused mid-step. He grinned—an apology. I offered a strained smile—the best answer I could give. He took up the empty space to my left as I resumed walking towards Lab 5.

“Can I offer my deepest apology; if it is still unwanted I will kindly never cross your path again.”

I knew what him uttering those words meant. I also knew how badly he was hurting from my denying him forgiveness. I gave him a curt nod; he’d know what I mean. I arrived with him in tow—Zelenka was not alone. Dr. McKay was seated beside him, both zoned in on the laptop in front of them. My walking companion cleared his throat causing both Doctors to glance up at us.

“Ah good, you’re here. Radek will tell you what you need to do as I cannot.”

I didn’t miss the undertone of McKay’s voice. It bothered me too that I couldn’t talk to him the way I wanted; rules are rules, even if you’re a galaxy away. I noticed Radek pushing his glasses up his nose—never a good sign. I took a few steps in, feeling a presence behind me I knew my companion had followed me in. The doors closed behind us and I felt tension fill the air around me.

“Amelia, you are most brilliant and wonderful of underlings I have ever had. I do not need to speak of current goings on; you will catch on, yes.”

Radek let out a shaky sigh—what had I walked in to?

“You will not ask questions, simply take what I give you and speak only to one of two people, a Jack O’Neil or a Sam Carter. Do this for your family, your parents, both of them, if not them, than me. You have very much become daughter I never had. You will make us proud no matter what happens here.”

I was listening but my eyes were on McKay the whole time. He was busy bustling around, shoving things in a pack, one we always took off-world. I saw him reach for the chain around his neck, pulling it over his head, the soft jingle of tags and plastic seem to override Radek’s words. My heart pounds, I know what those tags are, whose they are and what the small flash-drive hanging next to them holds.

“You can’t be serious.”

Both freeze and look at me, deadpan look at me. I can read it on their faces—they know we cannot win. McKay walks towards me, his free hand reaching for my left, opening it and dropping the chain onto it. I shake my head as his upper lip trembles just slightly. His eyes wide and full of emotions I’m not supposed to see. Damn rules and regulations, I’m a goddamn proof of how wrong they are. He walks away, stopping a few footsteps away.

“Here, you need this.”

Radek hands over the pack with shaky hands. I take it and pull it on, my eyes stinging from tears I cannot let build or fall. He digs in his pocket, pulling out two things, a chain with tags—his—and a flash-drive. I shake my head—NO. He walks towards where McKay’s standing, exchanging words I cannot make out. I feel a large hand fall on my shoulder; I turn my head, glancing up at the man behind me.

He turns me to face him, his eyes shining with unshed tears. He bends down, pressing his forehead to my own; a greeting I’ve witnessed between our base leaders and a group of leaders of people called Athosians. I place my hands on his arms, returning the intimate gesture.

He pulled back and reached into the small satchel attached at his waist, pulling out a small, leather bound book he always carried with him. His writing—his poetry; I bit my lip as I unwillingly took it from his hands.

“Why are you all telling me goodbye?”

I turned to face the two Doctors behind me, my gaze narrowing on Dr. McKay.

“Are you sending me back to Earth? Have I not proven myself worthy of being here?”

McKay ducked his head as Radek placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Can you come here please?”

I kept my narrowed gaze on him; he met it when I was an arms-reach away.

“Calen…Amelia…this…this is not easy for, for me to…I love you. You should always know that and never doubt it.”

I glanced over at Radek who simply had an unnerved look on his face. That was the last thing I saw.