‹ Prequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles

Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Chapter Twenty One

“Ophelia!” Lyrissa cooed in a high pitch voice while bouncing her beautiful, and screaming, daughter around the nursery. It had been four months since she was born, and in that time a lot had changed around the mansion. Not only had Jazz and Andrew become a couple, they had moved out of the mansion and into a small apartment together. They visited often, and were still very much a part of everyone’s lives, but they needed their space away from everyone. It was impossible to grow up, and grow together as young adult lovers, and have the eyes of your parental figures on you at all times.

Granny Rose, and the rest of the Carson family, had left to their own homes, but every day Lyrissa got at least one phone call to check in one her and the baby.

All of the kids had been enrolled in proper school, and were doing well in their grades, but still functioned much like a street gang. Often resulting in fights, detentions, and lectures as soon as they got home from school.

Logan hardly ever let Lyrissa go on missions with the other X-Men, but instead of arguing, she smiled as watched him say goodbye to Ophelia before taking her back from him, and waiting for them to return with the result of whatever they went to do.

Now was one of the many times though, that Lyrissa wished she could have gone on the mission, or at least have Logan stay with her to help her with Ophelia. An hour ago she started screaming and crying, and nothing Lyrissa did could calm her down. She couldn’t ask the Professor for help either, because he was away in Washington.

“Ophelia, baby, what is wrong?” she begged, loosing her mind while failing to calm her child down. It was breaking her heart to be so helpless to help her baby.

“What happened? I can hear her cryin’ from the hanger!” Logan demanded as he joined her.

“I don’t know! She’s been screaming for an hour like this,” she sighed as he took Ophelia from her and held her, instantly calming her down.

“Two demands, Logan. How did you do that, and what happened to you? You’re covered in blood!” she gasped.

“Run in with Sabertooth,” he frowned, “And I don’t know what calmed her down. Maybe she just missed her daddy.” He smirked, kissing Ophelia before leaning over and kissing Lyrissa. “I don’t like having you out there when I have to stay behind like this.” She sighed, sitting down on the nursery’s couch, finally able to relax.

“I know, but I don’t want ya gettin’ hurt.”

“Hey Sparkles,” Allie called from the doorway with Jubilee right behind her, “Can we play with the baby? Please?? It’s a really nice day, and we’re all going to the park now that Jean’s back! Can we bring her?”

“I think Logan wants some time with her. Maybe next time.” She giggled as he bounced her happily, letting her play with his scruffy facial hair as he watched how her hair sparkled as brightly as her mother’s. “Okay,” she sighed, and left with a defeated frown.

“You’d think with how often she is taken to play, she would sleep through the night.” She sighed while closing the door with one of her wisps. “I know.” He chuckled, breaking into a full laugh when Ophelia made one of her many strange and loud sounds of happiness. “She loves her daddy.” Lyrissa smiled with a content sigh. “He loves her too.” He smirked before lying her down and walking over to the door, though he turned around and picked her right back up when she started crying again. “Looks like yer comin’ with then.” He chuckled as Lyrissa followed them out.

“She ain’t gonna find herself stuck on the side of some road, is she?” Rogue joked as Logan worked on his jeep in the garage with Ophelia playing with a wrench, and Lyrissa bouncing her lightly. “Of course not, Rogue! Look who her daddy is! The great Wolverine! He can save the world one minute and rebuild the jeep the next. Very good daddy to have.” She beamed. “Hn, Mommy’s a former street racing champion and bike builder. She’ll get her mechanic skills from her.” Logan grunted. “I think she’s gonna be one great kid. You two did a good job!” she beamed before setting down a trey with their dinner on it, and a warm bottle for Ophelia. It wasn’t unusual for the family to dine away from the others, mostly because lately things were so busy against the Brotherhood, Friends of Humanity, and still, the Labs, that they had nearly no time to themselves.

Lyrissa and Logan continued to work on the jeep until the others started getting ready for bed. Ophelia was still wide-awake and happy when Lyrissa teleported them to the nursery to try to get her to sleep, but of course she was as stubborn as her parents.

“Another walk?” she sighed after she and Logan had given up on rocking Ophelia. He smirked and nodded before wrapping the baby up to make sure she would stay warm, letting Lyrissa lead them out. Walking had always helped Ophelia when she wasn’t feeling well, or was upset, but after the Brotherhood found out about her, Logan didn’t want Lyrissa taking her out unless he was there to protect them. He’d trade his nightmares of Lyrissa meeting the same end as Karma, for nightmarish flashbacks any day.

“Where are you two going at this hour?” Storm asked as they passed her in the kitchen. “Ophelia isn’t very tired, so Logan and I are going to take her for a walk.” Lyrissa answered without looking away from him as he bounced Ophelia, making her giggle happily. “It is supposed to rain tonight. Be careful.” She nodded.

“Thanks, we’ll be all right though. Ophelia takes after her daddy, she doesn’t get sick easily.”

“I was talking about you.” She laughed lightly, and retired to her room for the night as Lyrissa and Logan left the mansion.

“What’s wrong?” Logan asked when Lyrissa whimpered slightly as they walked through the woods. “This is where they took me the first time.” She sighed, remembering the night she was first taken to the labs vividly, and losing all sparkle.

“It ain’t gonna happen again.” He assured, wrapping an arm around her to pull her close to him, “I already told ya that. And this time, I WON’T let it happen.”

“That wasn’t your fault, Logan. And look how much good came from it! Ophelia already has her powers! She can heal herself if she gets hurt, and has a very low chance of getting sick, because of what they did to us. I’m not saying I appreciate what happened, but out of everything they could have done, this is by far the best outcome.”

He nodded and smiled slightly before kissing her as it started to rain. As soon as the first drop hit Ophelia, she was wailing in annoyed discomfort. “Not a fan of the rain, is she?” he smirked as Lyrissa put her wisps over them to prevent any more water from hitting the baby. “That’s one thing she doesn’t take after me.” She laughed before walking them back to the house, hoping that Ophelia would be asleep by the time they got there.

Thankfully, she was. Unfortunately that meant Lyrissa couldn’t teleport them, because it always woke the baby. They had to walk like everyone else.

“Works every time.” He smirked after laying her in her crib. “Because you’re such a gentle person.” She smiled, kissing his cheek lightly, “Well, to us you are. We won’t have to worry about her having any bad boyfriends when she gets older, will we?” she giggled.

Logan grunted and shook his head.

“Don’t want to think about that, do you?”

“It’s a shame she can’t stay like this forever.” He frowned.

“You don’t want her to stay like this forever. When she gets a few years older, you’ll want THAT to freeze.”

“What d’ya mean?”

“When she’s running down to the hangar after you get back from a mission, calling ‘Daddy!’ and jumping on you because she missed you, asking you to teach her how to fight and fix cars?”

He couldn’t help but to smile at that, but Lyrissa could tell that as much as he looked forward to the later years, he didn’t want his little baby to grow up. He didn’t want to loose the Ophelia that wanted to be held all of the time, who cried when he or Lyrissa wasn’t there, or who NEEDED him to take care of her.

“We need to get to bed, Logan.” She sighed finally, “Who knows when those sirens will go of next.”

“Yeah,” he nodded and followed her out of the room to their room beside it, pulling her against him as soon as she joined him in the bed and kissing her. “I love you.” He whispered against her neck, making her shiver. “I love you too,” she breathed softly as his touch continued to electrify her entire body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please give your feedback! I'm planning on getting back into the deeper action soon. I'm so sorry I neglected this story for so long!! If any of you are still reading this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I mean that.