‹ Prequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles

Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Chapter Three

“A-Allie?” Lyrissa whispered while Logan held her firmly in place, so she didn’t run over to her. “What happened?” he demanded. “That man, Jack? Granny started fighting him, since he tried to attack her after Carolyn hit him with some fireballs, and she threw him into a tree. We all went to defend her, since she is ninety-seven years old after all, and this huge guy, who looked more like Bigfoot than a human being came out of nowhere and joined the fight.

“Just a little while after, she came running out of nowhere, just running for her life; away from us, away from them, just away. He… he just pulled out a gun and shot her! She screamed and fell, and he s-shot her again! That bastard shot this little girl!” Rose answered, her hair glowing in her fury. “Calm down Ro, you’ll kill us all. How are the others right now?” Anette asked. “Well, Granny killed Jack. He’s dead; he died as soon as he pulled the trigger the second time. I teleported here as soon as I could, but I don’t think Bigfoot is going to do too well against all of them. Especially Granny, I’ve never seen her so pissed off Auntie. She didn’t even say a word, just killed him, and started attacking the other guy.” She answered, forcing herself to dismiss her anger as Mitchell ran into the house.

“Dad said you needed me to heal someone?” he asked quickly. “This one here, just be careful, she’s small, and very hurt right now.” George sighed. “Okay Grandpa.” He nodded, taking a deep breath before going to work on Allie.

“No, no it isn’t! That fucker! How could he…I mean, damn!” someone ranted as several women came through the front door, led by Granny Rose. “Enough Carolyn, sensor your language. He paid for what he did, and so will the coward he worked with.” Granny Rose ordered firmly. “Yes Granny Rose.” She sighed. “Ellie, babe, are you okay?” Rick gasped as Eliza walked, or rather stumbled, into the room. “I’m fine.” She smiled, kissing her husband, and sitting next to Logan and Lyrissa, both of who were focusing on Allie and Mitchell. Rick sat down next to her, and held her the same way Logan was doing with Lyrissa.

Suddenly Allie started coughing, and then whimpering, before crying hysterically. That was it for Lyrissa, she teleported away from Logan and was kneeling down by the five year old in an instant. “Al, sweetie, are you okay?” she asked tearfully. “Spawkles!” she sobbed, attaching herself to her shirt and crying at least twice as hard. “They convinced her that you had been killed.” Granny Rose explained sadly. “Why?” Logan asked. “I don’t know, I didn’t read their minds, I read hers.” She answered shortly. “It’s okay sweetie, I’m right here, you’re okay I got you.” Lyrissa soothed, ignoring the fact Allie’s blood from her hair and clothes was now soaking into her white pants, and Hello Kittie shirt.

“I sorry. I w-was bad, and d-didn’t lis-ten to Uncle Ch-Chawie, I s-so s-sorry!” she sobbed. Lyrissa couldn’t answer, because she was crying too hard by that point. For a few seconds, Allie was actually dead; Jack had killed her.

Half an hour later, Logan and Lyrissa were in their room, watching Allie sleep. She was terrified to let either of them out of her sight, and once again had to be around Lyrissa at all times. The only difference now, was that Logan had to be with them. “I need to talk to Uncle Charlie, to find out how they got her.” Lyrissa whispered. Logan nodded, and stayed with Allie while Lyrissa teleported downstairs.

“Can I use your phone?” she asked her grandmother Anette. “Of course, it’s your phone too sweetheart. You have a key here just like the rest of us.” She smiled, “There’s one in the kitchen, hanging on the wall by the fridge, one upstairs in the study room, one on the other side of the house in the red sitting room, and one out back in the gazebo.” She explained. “Thank you.” She smiled, and quickly went into the kitchen, since it was closest, and started to dial home.

“Who’re you calling?” Carolyn asked curiously. “Uncle Charlie.” She answered. “He’s right behind you.” She pointed out in confusion. “No Carols, I’m her Uncle Chuck. Charlie is the uncle back in New York, where she lives.” He laughed, patting her on the shoulder before leading Carolyn away.

Back at the mansion, the phone rang about fifteen times before someone finally picked it up. “Hello?” Rogue answered. “Rogue! How did Allie end up in Arizona, with Sabertooth and Jack?!” Lyrissa almost yelled into the phone.

“Calm down sugar, we can’t figure it out either. The Professor’s away right now, he left the day after you to help his friend Mora with somethin’. Cyclops took her, Jamie, Max, Kiera, and Dante to the park, and that’s when she went missin’.”

“Is he there right now?”

“Yeah, hold on.” She sighed, setting the phone down and going to find Scott.

“Hey, Lyrissa’s on the phone for you Cyclops. Don’t hold it too close to yah ear, she’s the one that found Allie.” She announced, finding him in the Game Room, watching monitors while Hank tried to locate Allie. He jumped from his chair, and ran to the nearest phone so he could see if Allie was all right, and then talk to Lyrissa, since he had to admit, he missed her.

“Scott Summers! How the hell did you lose Allie?” Lyrissa yelled as soon as he picked up the phone, everyone in the Carson house could hear her at that point “Do you know what happened? Jack SHOT her Scotty! He shot her twice, and she died! Sh-”

“Wait, what? She… h-he what?!” he interrupted in panic.

“Jack, took a gun, and shot Allie! If it wasn’t for Mitchell, who can heal people, she would be dead! She actually died for a few seconds! Now answer my question! How in god’s name could you lose her?!”

“Lyrissa… we were at the park, and they were all out playing, I only turned around for a second, I swear!” he defended.

“SHE COULD HAVE BEEN GONE FOREVER!” she screamed as tears poured down her face.

He couldn’t reply, and she couldn’t continue yelling at him, because Logan pulled her away from the phone.

“Mr. Summers, are you still there?” an old woman’s voice asked him through the phone, after Logan and Lyrissa’s fight faded. He was sitting against the wall trying to keep his composure in front of Max and Jamie, who were standing in the doorway watching him very closely. “Yeah,” he answered quietly.

“Good, now listen to me. She’s just upset right now, you and I both know how much she loves that little girl, and I can tell from your voice you do too. Don’t think she hates you for this, or that it’s your fault. I’ve been around a long time; this is not the first time I’ve seen what happens when a child goes missing. You should be happy that little girl is alive, and well. Are you all right?”

“I’m… I’m fine Ma’am.” He answered firmly; it was very hard for him not to cry as she spoke, there was just something in her voice that brought that out.

“Good. Now young man, do exactly as I say, because I know there are many people around you who love that little girl just as much as you, Logan, and Lyrissa. Announce to them that Lyrissa found her in Arizona, and that she’s just fine. She’s going to stay here with us until Lyrissa and Logan go back to New York.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Good. Now I have to hang up the phone and tend to my great, great, granddaughter. I’ll give you the number to this house, so you can reach us incase anything happens; just don’t ask for Lyrissa right off. Ask for Granny Rose.”

“Yes Ma’am.” He nodded. She gave him the Carson house number, and hung up. “Mr. Summers, who was that?” Max asked curiously. “Well first it was Lyrissa, and then it was her great, great grandmother Rose.” He answered. “Why’d they call?” Jamie asked. “Because they found Allie, and wanted to let us know she’s just fine.” He smiled, going to spread the word.

“Logan, can I talk to my sister?” Eliza asked softly as they sat alone in the Red Sitting Room. He nodded and left the room. “You really let that poor man have it, didn’t you? Granny said he was almost crying when she took the phone from you.” She sighed.

“I know, but he should have been watching her better!” she argued.

“I know, but listen. Our brother, the one who’s blood related and not adopted by him, do you know why you’ve never met him? Dr. Jennings was his father, and of course our mom was his mom.”

“No, that’s impossible. Dad would’ve told me I had a brother.”

“He couldn’t, he and Mom decided not to, because of what happened. Six years before you were born, they had a son. When he was two he was taken while they were at a carnival. Grandma Nettie told us all about it when he came to his first Carson reunion. Mom, and your dad searched for years, until he was pronounced dead. Neither of them gave up hope, or looking for him, but Grandma said they decided not to tell you about him when you were born. If you don’t believe me, then ask your Uncle Charlie in New York about your brother Stephen.”

“So he’s… he’s my full brother?” Lyrissa whispered.

“Full blooded sibling, unlike me and our other brother Jim. As you know, I’m your half sister, and Jimmy’s adopted by Stephen. Well, Jim’s family adopted Stephen, after he was found wandering around somewhere and picked up by a social worker. He didn’t know who he was, or who his family was, so he was put in adoptive care.” She explained, “I guess what I’m trying to say Lyris, is that it isn’t your friend’s fault that little girl was taken. And it isn’t hers either, and don’t think that if you didn’t come here, she wouldn’t have been taken, because chances are, she would have, she just wouldn’t have been taken here. I think, you should call your friend back, and apologize for being so hard on him. Granny says he’s like your older brother, you can ask any family member here, since most of us are not only children, when a sibling comes across like they honestly hate you, it breaks your heart.”

Lyrissa was quiet for a very long time before standing up. “You’re right… thanks, sis.” She smiled. “No problem!” she beamed, hugging her tightly, “That’s the first time since you’ve been here, that you’ve called me your sister!” she cried excitedly. “I know. It’s the first time it’s sank in that I have blood related siblings.” She laughed with tears of her own.

“Eliza, you let her go and let her call that boy back! You can hug her and cry all you want after she’s done!” Granny Rose ordered as she walked by the room. “Yes Granny.” She sighed, releasing Lyrissa.

“Everyone off the phones, Lyrissa has to call New York.” Granny Rose announced to everyone in the house telepathically. “And if I catch anyone eavesdropping, there will be hell to pay!” she added before nodding to Lyrissa that she could use the phone in that room to call home.

It only rang once before Jean answered.

“Hello, Xavier School for the Gifted.”

“Jean, where’s Scotty?”

“Danger Room, why? Is everything all right, you sound upset? Lyrissa what happened?”

“Jean, calm down I’m okay. I just need to talk to Scotty, my sister pointed out how harsh I was, and I want to say I’m sorry.”

“Sister? Lyrissa, you have a sister?”

“And two brothers, but only one is blood related.” She laughed.

“Brothers too… wow.”

“You know Stephen, don’t you?”

“They found him?” she gasped, quickly sitting down in the chair next to the phone.

“Yeah, he’s twenty-six now.”

“They said he was dead, and the Professor couldn’t find him telepathically! We all thought he was… but he’s alive, and there right now?!”

“Yeah!” Lyrissa was trying very hard not to laugh at Jean’s excitement, “Jean, can you please get Scotty? I really need to apologize.”

“I’m sorry Lyrissa, if he was just training, I would, but he’s teaching the kids right now how to work as a team. He’s teaching all of them.”

“Oh… why aren’t you helping him?”

“Your Granny Rose contacted me telepathically, and told me to stay by a phone because you would be calling soon.” She laughed.

“Oh.” Lyrissa couldn’t believe how on top of things that old woman was. She really was the leader of the Carson family.

“Oh, uhm, Gambit would like to talk to you.” Jean laughed after a while of silence.

“Okay!” she was excited to hear from Gambit, he was as much as her brother as Scott was.

“Hey dere! How things be all de way in Arizona, eh?” he asked.

“They’re great. This family is huge!” she laughed.

“Dey ain’t as big as de one you got here, are dey Petit?”

“Bigger Gambit! There are literally almost a hundred people in this house!”

“How big is de house?” he gasped, laughing at her excitement.

“Not as big as the mansion, but it’s not small either. It’s got about… sixty rooms I think? They keep building onto it. It’s a two story, but it’s big.”

“So you gonna live dere now?”

“No, I don’t know if anyone lives here, everyone has a key, and they meet here for reunions, funerals, and weddings.”

Gambit took a breath to say something, but was cut off by something. She heard someone begging for the phone, but couldn’t tell whom. She knew it was one of the kids though. “Hey, I let you talk to her in a second, go play wit Rogue or somethin’… she already say she gonna be fine, don’ worry… no, Jamie you gonna get hurt, don’ do dat!” she heard the phone hit the table right before a huge crash of what sounded like books; they must have been in the library. “Now what I tell you? Go an play, I get you when you can talk to her!” he ordered before picking the phone up again.

“Gambit sorry for dat Petit. He tryin’ to climb bookshelves wit his powers.”

“Sounds like something I would do.” She laughed honestly.

“It is somethin’ you did! An’ you break your arm doin’ it!”
“I thought that was from falling out of a tree.”

“No, de leg was de tree, de arm was climbing de bookshelves.”

Half an hour later, she was finally able to apologize to Scott, who was very happy that she wasn’t upset with him anymore, but their conversation was short due to Jazz throwing Andrew through a wall, and he needing to break up their fight. She was on the phone a total of five hours before she was able to hang up and go back to getting to know the Carson family.

“Well look who it is! Just in time for dinner!” Charlie laughed. “What took so long?” Logan asked as she sat in her place next to him. “Talking to Jean, and then Gambit, then I finally got to talk to Scotty, but Jazz and Andrew were fighting and he got blasted through a wall. While he was tending to them, Jamie grabbed the phone. Then I got to talk to Kiera, who was wrestled for the phone by Max, who had it for a while before Dante took it. After Dante, I promised to talk to Jazz, who handed it off to Andrew after Hank, Jean, Scotty, Rogue, Storm, and Gambit forced a truce, and then I got to talk to Hank. After Hank I talked to Storm, who gave it to Rogue, and then I ended up talking to Scotty again.” She explained with a laugh. “Wow, so big family back home huh?” a dark haired man, who looked just like her father laughed. She only barely remembered meeting him her first day, since she had met so many people at once, but knew he was her brother Stephen. “Yeah, not quite as big as you have here, but they’re pretty big.” She laughed, her hair was sparkling as brightly as it had been during the huge prank war, and water fight she and the kids got the X-Men involved in, before she and Logan were together.

“Hey! The family we have here!” he retorted, “Me and you have the same parents, remember? And Mom, is her daughter, who is her great granddaughter, and that’s our sister, and these are our uncles, and our aunts, and our cousins, and nieces, and nephews, and our-”

“She gets it Steph, knock it off.” George laughed.

“I’m sorry, it just takes so much getting used to.” She sighed.

“Don’t worry about it. When I proposed to Eliza, she told me her family was big, and loud. I didn’t believe her until we came here for the wedding, and I was dragged around the house and yard, meeting everyone the same way she dragged you.” Rick laughed, “They’re all being all nice to you, and letting you get to know them on your own time, letting it all sink in! Me, first her uncles ganged up on me, interrogating me on everything about myself, then her brothers grabbed me, and threatened to hospitalize me if I hurt her in any way. Then it was the grandparents’ turn to make sure I was a good young man, with a sturdy job, that could support and take care of her… by the time I met everyone, my entire life’s story was known!”

“Why didn’t you guys attack Logan like that?” she asked with a smile. “Well for one, he’s got metal claws… I saw him using them to cut wood for the shed we were all building together. My healing power is all backwards of his, he can heal himself; I can only heal other people. So if I ticked him off, I’m freaking ground meat!” Mitchell answered. “Two, you needed him around you for most of the time.” Stephen shrugged. “Three, we were all too wrapped up in meeting you for the first time, that it didn’t register you two are together.” Charlie laughed. “And four, Granny told us that if we pestered him, she’d whip us.” Eliza laughed. “She would too.” Anette sighed.

Dinner was just as crazy as it would be at the mansion, except instead of laughing and jokes; it was mostly questions and answers. What was it like growing up with Dr. Jennings as a father? Since Stephen didn’t remember his parents at all. What was the X-Mansion like? Where did she learn to control her powers, if she wasn’t with the Carson family? How did she and Logan meet? The questions directed at her were as endless as the questions she was asking.

What was her mother like? Does the color of their wisps depend on the hair color? Did her parents get married at that house? Do they meet like that every year? Will they ever stop building onto the house? How old is that cemetery? She had so many questions she felt like Allie and her childish curiosity.

After dinner, Lyrissa went straight to bed, and Logan went with her. Allie slept in the bed with them, in the middle, cuddled against both of them, which Logan could have done without since the bed wasn’t that big. All night she’d wake up, and then wake them both up to make sure they were still alive, or wake them up from another nightmare she had. And every time, they’d calm her down, and Logan would play with her hair while Lyrissa sang to her, until she fell back asleep. Neither of them would have much energy the next day, but they were all right with that, as long as Allie got some rest.