The Tension is Like a Fire

Let's go back, back to the beginning.

I try to remember days when life was happy and easy. When the only commitment we had to make was to go to school to make our parents happy, and the only thing that really mattered was that we were all friends and that we loved each other. We never had to be alone, and if one of us was sad it didn’t last very long. These days don’t even begin to compare. The past four years have been the most miserable and lonely years of my life. If I could go back to the way it used to be I would in a second.

Sighing, I pulled myself out of bed. Making my way to the kitchen, I stopped to feed my goldfish, Spike. Goldfish are pretty boring pets. In the good days, Alex, Jack, and I promised we’d all get a house together and have three dogs. I would have loved having a dog, but they’re not allowed in my apartment building in downtown Brooklyn. I brewed a cup of black coffee, savoring the bitter taste, and got ready for the day. I glanced at the mirror on my way out for work and took a double take. I hardly recognized the girl staring back at me. Her eyes were lost and unhappy, and her pale face was framed by dark lock of curly hair. I hardly looked like the vibrant, happy girl I used to be, with bright, flashing eyes and light blonde hair. I frowned at my reflection and continued out the door.

The bustle of the city was what kept me alive, it was my heartbeat. Of the millions of people that were in New York City, none of them held friendly faces in my eyes. I knew many people at the record company I worked for, but they were quite vicious and competitive. The one person in the world that I could still call my friend was Kati. She was the only thing that confirmed that my past wasn’t some made up memory. She kept me up to date on the boys on tour, as well as our other two best friends from high school, Chris and Sarah. None of the others knew where I was, and I’m pretty sure they could care less. Kati was always begging me to come back to visit Baltimore, which I always found a reason to decline. I couldn’t fathom the idea of returning to the home of those memories. I couldn’t deal with the heartbreak again.