Status: Complete

Old Acquaintances Meet Again

The Day After

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend,
Somewhere along in the bitterness,
And I would have stayed up with you all night,
Had I known how to save a life.

Where di-


"Hello?" I answered before the phone could send another marching band pounding throughout my head.

"Mel, its 7 AM, I'm in the drive-way, where the fuck are you?" Michael said, his voice booming in my eardrums.

"Oh yeah. Hang on let me get dressed and yeah. Come on in, I'll be down in a few minutes."

After I hung up with Michael, I jumped out of my bed and threw on a random pair of track pants with a tank top and some adios. I grabbed my suitcase and slung my backpack over my shoulder and put them at the bottom of the stairs. Then I climbed back up and went to Novak's room to wake him up.

I peeked in the door, just to make sure he was alone and not with some fast company, then walked in fully since he wasn't.

"Brandon," I whispered into the darkness. All I got in return was a grunt.

"Brandon Novak get up!" Another grunt. This time, I was wide awake and ready to go. I walked back to his door then turned around to face him. Then, I ran over to his bed and jumped in the air, landing on him with a lot of force, which is what I meant to do.

"Ah shit!" I heard his voice muffle from beneath me. Then I suddenly found myself on the floor, and him sitting up in bed looking around.

When he threw me off, I went down torso first and the first thing that came into contact with the carpet was my face.

I was holding my nose when light finally appeared around me.

"Mel?" came Novak's confused voice.

"Damn, Mel I'm sorry," he said, now leaning next to me.

I couldn't help it, but I burst out giggling. I stood up, looked in the mirror in his room, and made sure my nose was fine which it was.

"Get your shit, Michael is downstairs waiting for us." I said, and then walked out the door, hearing Novak's reply "Alright."

I skipped to the staircase and jumped on the railing, riding it down then flying off and landing wobbly. I walked to the living room and saw Michael sitting on the sofa, waiting.

"Michael, it won't be too much longer, Novak is coming with us, and he is just getting his backpack ready. For now, I'm going to the pirate bar, want anything to drink?" I said to him, grinning slightly.

"No thanks," he said tiredly.

I nodded my head and made my way down to the pirate bar. When I got there I saw a figure sitting at the counter, with their head slumped over.

I walked around to the front of it to the refrigerator, opened it up, and grabbed a starbuck's frappachino to go thing. I turned back around to the body and saw that it was Bam.

Taking a deep breath, my mouth started moving before I could process we aren't on speaking terms.

"Novak and I are going to Texas for a few days."

Silence.

I gave a large sigh and fidgeted with the drink in my hands.

"Brandon, I never meant to hurt you. I'm sorry if I fucked up our friendship, and I guess now, you hate me. I'm sorry." I whispered, and walked out of the room before the tears started flowing.

As I was walking out I could of sworn I heard him mutter, "I don't hate you," but I brushed it off.

I wiped my eyes and went to the bathroom next to the pirate bar. After I splashed cold water on my face, I walked out to the living room where Michael and Novak were talking.

"It's about time babe, we've been waiting for quite a while now," Novak said, grinning slightly.

"Right. Lets go," I said, suddenly interested in my fingernails.

I went to the stairway with Novak and Michael following, and grabbed my backpack and threw it over my shoulders. When I was done re-adjusting the straps for a more comfortable wear, I looked done to find that my suitcase was gone.

"I got it," I heard Michael say from behind me.

"Thanks."

We went out to his car, where we raced off to the airport and got on the plane, barely making it in time.