Status: Complete

Old Acquaintances Meet Again

Hotel Talks

"Meli, wake up," I heard Michael say in the distance.

I sat up and looked around, realizing that people were leaving the plane.

"We're here already?" I asked.

"Yeah," Novak replied coming up behind me on our way out.

"It went by fast."

"Thats because you fell asleep listening to your iPod," Michael said this time.

"Oh."

We exited the plane and went through all the security and made it to the front of the airport. Michael flagged down a taxi and we went to a hotel called La Quinta. When we arrived, Michael got the rooms, me and Novak having to share because his coming along was a last minute decision.

"I can never get over how beautiful some of these rooms are," I say as I walk into mine and Novak's fully furnished room.

You and me baby ain't nothing bu-

"Hello?" Michael said into his cell phone.

Me and Novak just watched as he talked on his phone.

"Yeah. Are you sure. Today right. Not tomorrow. Okay. Cancelled? Why. Oh that's understandable. Ok. You too. Bye bye."

We both looked at him expectantly.

"Mel, you only have one demo to do and that is in," he looked at his watch, "3 hours. All your other ones got cancelled due to some icey wintery blast thing coming in."

"Alright, thanks." I replied.

I walked over to my suitcase and pulled out some khaki shorts, an element team shirt, underwear and a bra and socks, along with some fingerless gloves that I can't skate without. I took all this into the bathroom with me and took a long shower, nearly 45 minutes long until all the hot water went away. After that, I got out and wrapped a towel around me, and then blow dried my hair and put it into a ponytail. After that I got dressed and did some light eyeliner.

When I walked out of the bathroom, Novak was laying on the coach, watching TV and Michael was at the mini bar, no doubt taking some "souvenirs". I pulled on some black and blue Circas and went over to my backpack, where I got out my skateboard and some tools.

I went through and tightened the barrings and trucks, to make sure it wouldn't come apart. Then I put some new, better wheels on and re-did my grip tape.

By the time I was done with all this, it was time to go, because I had to get to the site the demo was taking place, and do some things around there.

We got to the demo where I stretched and did a test run before the thing started. As soon as my name was called for me to go up and do my run, it seemed as though the stress and all the emotions from the past few months had disappeared. I got on my board and skated like I never skated before.

Every grind I nailed and landed perfectly. Every kick flip and hip transfer was done to the highest of my satisfaction.

When the buzzer went off, telling me that I was done, I walked over to Michael and Novak, feeling pretty damned good about this particular demo.

After all the skaters had gone they called out awards, I got 2nd place, but that didn't rain on my parade. No, what rained on my parade was when we were walking back to the car Michael had rented that I saw them.

Derrick and her. The whore he cheated on me with.

I tried to go faster but Novak grabbed my arm.

"You alright babe?" He asked.

"Yeah, there is just some people here I don't feel like running in-" I was cut off by that oh so familiar smooth yet deep voice.

"Hey Melissa. Hows it goin?" Derrick asked, a smirk on his face.

"Like you'd care." I said back, but with a scowl on my face.

"Come on now, don't be that way." He made a move to touch my arm but Novak slapped his hand away.

"Don't touch her man," he said, his words dropping with venom and malice.

"Who are you? Her pimp?"

"No, but she is like a little sister to me and if you lay a hand on her, I will make sure its the last thing you ever do," Novak said.

Before Derrick could say another word, Novak gently grabbed my arm and we brushed past him.

The car ride back to the hotel was silent. As Novak and I were departing from Michael, he told us he called the airport and our flight out was at noon the next day so that we could sleep until at least 10 AM.

Looking at the clock, I saw that it was already midnight; I took a quick shower and got dressed in a tank top and some shorts. I climbed into bed and sat there, zoning into space just thinking about things.

I was really getting into my thoughts when I felt the bed beside me sink down, and I heard Novak say, "You alright? Because you're staring at that picture of kittens like you're going to murder them."

I looked at him and shook my head no and breathed out heavily.

"So tell me about it sweetheart," he said.

"I've felt like shit every since the whole Sam thing. Then today. I get on my board and I ride and I just felt so stress-free and happy for once in a long time. I was experiencing some sort of natural high then on the way to the car, when I saw Derrick and Stacie all the emotions, all the stress from the past 5 months came back and bit me in the ass."

I said, tears slowly rolling down my face as it rested on my knees which I had brought up to my chest.

"Don't worry about anything babe, it'll get better soon."

"Says who? Who's to say it won't go from bad to worse?" I said, thinking on the pessimistic side.

"I do, it will get better because I said so," he finished, pulling me into a side hug and wiping the tears from under my eyes.

Not too soon afterwards, I was feeling a little bit better to have all that out in the open. Novak went to where he would be sleeping and fell asleep while I just drifted off and on throughout the night, wondering if he was right, if it would really be getting better soon.