Status: Complete

Old Acquaintances Meet Again

The Beach

When we all arrived at the beach, Novak ran out of the car, straight up to a trio of girls in thong bikinis. Ryan, Raab, and Bam also got out running towards the water. As Bam was running, he was trying to pull his shirt off, over his head but tripped and fell. After pulling it off, he took off sprinting towards the water again. This left me and Jenn. We started walking off to a kind of isolated area and spread out a few towels.

"So, Mel, why did you move out of West Chester?" Jenn asked once we got settled lying on our stomachs to tan our backs first.

"During my senior year of high school my mom and I moved back in with my dad."

"Back in with him? Were your parents separated for a while?"

"He left us when I was 3 years old. Then one day out of the blue, I was skating with Bam and Raab and my mom called and said we were moving. I didn't figure out where until we got there and she had told me that her and my father got back together about 8 months before."

"So how was that?"

Just the thought about it brought tears to my eyes. My father was a total, complete asshole. Finally gaining my composure, I answered.

"It was hell."

We lied in silence for about five minutes when Jenn spoke again.

"Are you alright? I hope I wasn't prying too far into your personal life. I'm sorry for asking all the questions."

"It's alright."

Once again, tears were brought to my eyes.

"Mel, if you need to talk about something, just let me know."

"Thanks."

"Mel?"

"Yes?"

"Why are you crying?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing, just thinking," I responded, quickly wiping my eyes and turning my head.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I sighed and turned my head back to where I was facing Jenn.

"My father was actually pretty cool the first month or while with him. Then when I started to go out with Derrick, he started to become an asshole."