Rakastan

What He Doesn't Know

Eureka’s POV:
I look at them sleeping like that. It’s surprising that he had said he saw a resemblance between her and I. I was adopted, so genetically there is no resemblance, yet in attitude we are somewhat familiar. I stare down at my lightly coco colored hands and glance through the window at hers. What is it like to be holding love, literally in the palm of your hand? His pale hands are wrapped in her pale ones. She used to have a slight tan to her white hands but either the winter or the illness had taken the color out of them. I felt her gaze on mine through the window. I guess we were going through with it after-all.
Jac’s POV
Ville can’t sleep and he had moved around a lot. I woke later that night to the sound of him breathing. His hands were like iron grips in mine, as if I was chained. What was I supposed to do? I glanced at Eureka. I knew she had been watching. I nodded just once and I heard her open the door so softly.
“Are you sure?” she asked.
“I am,” I said quietly.
I tried letting go of him, but I was stubborn and couldn’t. Besides his grasp on me was firm. I tugged, afraid he would wake up and was able to release my hands. Eureka helped me stand and handed me clothes to change into.
I almost cried, but I knew no sound would be crucial.
“He was onto us from the beginning,” Eureka whispers as she helps me pull my shirt over my head.
“How could you not know,” I hiss at her, my hurt is going to show any second.
“I don’t know,” she whispers back and turns as I pull on my jeans.
“I’m tired of running Eur,” I say and glance at her pleading.
“If we don’t get a move on it,” she pauses. Ville has moved onto his back.
“Do you think he’ll ever forgive me?” I ask her.
“More like, should I forgive you? I told you not to submit your writing, but you just had to test fate,” Eureka whispers and puts my boot on.

“Well at the time I got to come here, you were rejoicing saying, oh look our escape,” I said back.
“I didn’t think they would follow us here,” she says back.
“You haven’t lied to him,” she says.
I laugh bitterly.
“Let’s see he thinks you’re my cousin, that I had appendicitis,” I tick off on my fingers.
“Well technically maybe you lied about that, but nothing else. I mean you did and always wrote because of him. You were spotted by that Cal guy on accident and coming here was because of your writing. Even if we weren’t in the mess we are now, you would have come here,” she justifies.
“Yes but I didn’t think I would meet up with him,” I argue.
“I told you it’s meant to be,” she says back and helps me stand.
“I came here to forget him, but it didn’t work, intricately we were woven. I came here for you to run to hide like the fugitive I am,” I said holding back tears.
“You’re not a fugitive,” she argues back.
I lift the shirt slowly and show her the wound where they removed the bullet.
“I know you paid off the doctors to keep it a secret,” I say.
“It had to be done; do you want what happened to your father to happen to you?” she asks icily.
My father.
My mother died giving birth and I was an only child, or so I had thought. My dad always had business trips, was always gone. Now he was permanently.
The scene plays in my mind. Three weeks ago, after all the preparations were made and when Eureka told me who she really was, I was set to go to Finland. Upon discovering who my father was, my safety was in jeopardy. Telling him I was going to Finland, to finish school there, I thought he would be proud, but instead he started planning. I was here for my own intentions of studying, but when the ugly truth reared its head and all the lies glistened on her scaly back, it was then that I was here for their intentions.
I was kidnapped. I was bound, I was supposed to die. The memory eats at me like a parasite.
“Do you know who I am?” a voice from the dark asked.
I only remembered entering what I thought was my father’s limousine, being drugged, and waking up to my hands and feet tied to a chair.
“No,” I croaked out, still under the influence of whatever it was they had given me.
“I am your brother, the one dad seemed to forget to tell you about,” he said menacingly.
I couldn’t see him, everything was blurry.
He didn’t wait to continue.
“I’m sorry I have to do this to you, but you stand in the line of what should be mine,” he says again.
There is a shuffle and gunshots explode around the room and my instincts bring me to the floor.
I feel someone untying me.
“Jac, don’t look back,” he says in my ear.
Why is the menacing man now helping me?
I can’t make right or left in my sense, smoke has begun to fill the air.
The man has left me and I have nowhere to go.
“Eureka grab her, get out of here,” I can hear my father now.
“Dad?” I shout into the smoke.
There are shouts of strangers all around me and gunfire, so much, it sounds like an artillery base.
I’m able to make out shadows, so I follow them until I see my father.
“Dad,” I say as I grab onto him, struggling to stand.
“He’s here, we’ve got him,” a voice says. I feel someone grab my father and then I go down with him.
He puts his body over mine.
“Promise me, get out of here. I’m so sorry sweetheart,” he whispers.
“For what?” I ask. It’s all I can manage to say. I never got to say goodbye.
I see light pouring in, I hear sirens.
Someone stands over us.
A man grabs me and my father has already been shot, he’s down for the count and he can barely stand.
“Say farewell Dan,” the man says to my father.
He’s still got me in his grasp, when he pulls the trigger. Right through the head, the bullet goes and my scream that had been lost, has finally found my voice-box.
I feel the pain in my side before I can make sense of what has happened. I’ve been hit.

“Jac?” Eureka says to me.
“Yeah,’ I reply shaking off the memories.
“We have to go,” she says.
I look back at Ville.
“Can I come back?” I ask.
“Soon,” she says.
I know that’s a lie.
“Do you think he’ll wonder where I went?” I ask her but she can’t look at me.
Eureka’s POV
She doesn’t know what I’ve done. The story of Ovarian Cancer was double sided. One to throw him off the trail, to make them think she was weak, and the other to make Ville think she’d be gone anyway. We had to disappear. When he wakes up, he’ll think she’s gone during the night. From where I stand, I watch as she kisses him one last time and then strides past me with tears in her eyes.
“Ready?” I ask her numbly.
“Don’t,” she says back to me and walks ahead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter coming soon.