Status: Active

Confessions to My Past

Chapter 18 - What Happens In Vegas

Dean didn’t take a case for the whole week until we left for Sandy Springs.
“Do you think there’s a way he can escape his destiny?” I asked when we passed the sign that read ‘Atlanta, 200 miles’.
Dean looked at me, then at our son. “I don’t know, Josie. I just know I won’t let him walk blindly into his fate, whatever it is.”
That meant he would teach Nathaniel everything he knew, and by that, Dean meant absolutely everything.
I bit my lips and looked at my sleeping son. I would have been sorry that he’d be raised into a world of living nightmares, shotguns and exorcisms, that he would never quite belong to the normal world… if the opposite wouldn’t mean that Dean wasn’t his father. So I would do what I’ve always done: Make the best out of everything.
“You want to take a break and eat something?” Dean asked.
I grinned. “The question would rather be: Do you?”
“Fair enough.” Dean chuckled and pulled into the parking lot of a diner. “I’ll get something for on the road so we’ll reach Sandy Springs this afternoon. What do you want?”
“Just a salad, please.” Despite my best efforts, I’ve gained 10 pounds during the pregnancy, and I was intent on getting rid of them again quickly. Amy would have to suffer with me, as we’d both signed up for kickboxing (me to lose weight, Amy because she claimed she was losing her touch and needed some freshening up of her skills.).
Dean frowned at my order, but didn’t say anything.

*****

Dean ordered Josie’s salad, a bacon cheeseburger with large fries and two coffees.
“Dean Winchester, is that really you?” A booming voice sounded beside him. Dean turned his head to see Fred, an old hunting buddy of his father. Sam and he had come across him a few times; had never worked with him, though, as he had the reputation of being ruthless in his hunts, regardless to losses.
“Fred.” Dean greeted, not quite sure what to make of running into another hunter by daylight. “How are ya?”
“Great, ‘cept for my back’s starting to give me a li’l trouble.” Fred laughed. “What can ya do, comes with age. But enough of me, how are you and Sam? Speaking of family, I heard you are to be congratulated on your first son!”
Dean felt his insides clutch together, and every instinct in him screamed to pull out his gun. “Who told you that?”
“Ah, you know, word travels.”
Not this kind of word. Josie and he had only told Sam and Amy about their child, nobody else should know about Nate, especially no hunter.

*****

I was just about to get out of the car and see what took Dean so long when my mobile beeped. New text message from Dean, just one word: Stay.
If he was that curt, he didn’t have time for explanations, which meant it was serious.
My heart pounded against my ribs, and every minute that passed felt like hours. What could possibly be going on?
Nate started whining quietly, and I picked him up in my arms, preparing a bottle for him. “It’s okay, darling, everything’s fine.” I cooed with more confidence than I felt.

*****

“So, who’s the lucky mother?”
‘Sorry, Josie, it’s for your own good.’ Dean thought when he expressionlessly said: “Just a girl I met a while ago. Nothing too serious.”
“Seems serious enough!” Fred laughed boomingly.
“Not at all.” Dean forced an easy smile. “What happens in Vegas, right?”
“Damn straight. This job, family’s just in the way.”
“Well, Fred, it’s been good seeing you again…” Dean lied. “But I’ve gotta get going.”
“See ya around, boy.”
Dean grabbed the food and then made his way out of the diner. After he made sure Fred wasn’t looking after him, he walked back to the Impala.
“Dean, what-“
“I’ll explain, I promise, but we need to get away from here now.” Dean took the hidden back exit from the diner parking lot and only relaxed when they were back on the highway and he had made sure they weren’t followed.
Josie didn’t press him, though her heart fluttered from anxious curiosity.
Dean wished he could just make up a lie about what had happened in the diner; but he owed Josie the truth. “They know about Nate, Josie.”
“Who?”
“Hunters.”
Josie swallowed hard. “You don’t think they…”
“All I know is that some of the hunters don’t look left or right when they set their mind on something. If they found out about our son, they might as well have found out about his destiny and his bloodline. I don’t know how far they’ll go, I do know that some of them won’t listen to reason.”
Josie didn’t say anything as she looked out the window. Then she slowly stated: “I don’t think we should panic yet, as long as we don’t know what’s what. Let’s just get this weekend over with, then we should see what the deal is with the hunters.”
Dean agreed, but 33 years of life, 29 of them spent hunting, taught him to trust his gut feeling. And it told him that his attempt at a normal life had been just that; an attempt.