Status: Active

Confessions to My Past

Chapter 20 - Monster Hunt

For two years and 7 months, Dean and I lived relatively normal lives. We bought groceries together, had amazing sex, Dean disappeared for five days with Sam, killed some kind of monster, and was back in time to put Nathaniel to bed at weekends.
“Hey, Sam.” I smiled and kissed his cheek. “How’d it go?”
“Fine, just an 8/15 ghost job.”
“How very boring.” I chuckled. “Dinner’s warmed up and on the table.”
“What did I do before you came into my life?” Sam grinned and disappeared into the kitchen.
“Starve.” I called after him, then gave my boyfriend a long kiss. “I missed you.”
“I do hope so.” Dean smiled cheekily. “Otherwise I would have to have some serious words with you. Is Nate still up?”
“Technically, no, as he went to bed over an hour ago. Which means that he’s probably still up waiting for you.”
Dean gave me quick peck on the cheek before quickly ascending the stairs to Nate’s room.
“Where’s Amy, by the way?” Sam asked casually. After three years or what’s it been, they still haven’t figured out what they were.
“Away on business, she won’t be back until next week or so.” Amy had gotten work at an art gallery, and since then she’s been away quite a lot; as much as I loved her, I cherished being alone with my son, too.

*****

“Daddy!” Nate squealed, jumped up from his bed and ran towards Dean.
Dean smiled, feeling that warm feeling of happiness spreading within him again that he felt every time he looked at his son. “Hey. How’s my big boy?”
“Good. I drew my first Devil’s Trap today.” Nate smiled proudly.
“Good job, Nate.” Dean said honestly, though he wished his son didn’t even have to know the term of ‘Devil’s Trap’.
“Did you kill the monster, Daddy?”
“Of course. Now it’s time to sleep, come on.” Dean set him down and then pulled the covers over him.
“Dad… did you check my closet?”
Dean smiled. “I will right now.” He got up and opened Nate’s closet door, inspecting it carefully, though he knew nothing would get in there; he’d made sure of it. “Nothing in here, you are absolutely safe.”
Nate yawned. “I know, Daddy.”
Dean stayed with his son until he was asleep, then he walked downstairs, got a beer from the fridge and sat down at the kitchen table.
“He asleep now?”
“Yes.”
“You want dinner?”
“As always.” Dean smiled tiredly. Hunting was increasingly wearing him out, and Josie noticed it too, decided to say nothing, though. There’d be no stopping him, anyways.
After Dean had finished, Josie cleared the dishes away, rubbing the small of her back.
“Everything okay?” Dean frowned.
“Fine. Let’s just get to bed.” Josie grinned and let her hands slip underneath Dean’s shirt, caressing the bare skin of his six-pack. Dean was immediately awake again, threw Josie over his shoulder and carried her upstairs ignoring her squealing protests.
He laid her down on their bed and immediately began removing her clothes, kissing her as he did so. He admired her perfect shape as his lips grazed her breasts and stomach, then her neck and eventually found her mouth.
“You’re beautiful.”
“And you have exceedingly too many clothes on for me to admire your divine body.” Josie smirked and pulled his shirt over his head.

*****

“Josie…” Dean started.
Her eyes flew open from her dazing state. After having made love twice, she had snuggled up into Dean’s arms, her head resting on his perfect chest as she had started to doze off.
This was the exact tone he’d used the previous times when he had started on that topic.
“Mhm.” Josie replied non-committingly.
“Nate’s turning three soon…”
Josie just waited.
“… have you thought about having a second child?”
There it was, the dreaded question. Josie took a minute before she answered. “Dean…I love you, and I love Nate. I’m just… I’m not sure if I’m ready for a second child yet. I’m only 22, Dean.” She hated turning him down, especially since it felt so good knowing he wanted to have another child with her; but she just felt too young. She had felt too young for Nate, really, but circumstances had forced her to adapt quickly, so she had. And he was such an easy child, too.
Amy watched him in the mornings, until she got back from college, so she was able to finish her education anyhow; and she loved Nate. Josie had never thought that she’d be such a happy mother, but she was. But a second child…
Dean sighed quietly. “I know, love. And you’ve got college to finish, too…”
Josie let her hand wander over his muscular chest, absent-mindedly tracing his tattoo. “I just want to have college finished, at least; then we’ll try, okay?”
That was another thing apart from Dean approaching his 36th birthday and feeling more than ready for another child: They weren’t even sure Josie could conceive again, as Nate had been a medical miracle already. It might take years for Josie to get pregnant, if she even could again.
But Dean was aware of her youth, and as much as he wanted another child, he wouldn’t enforce it at the cost of Josie’s happiness.
And they had argued about it before, something he didn’t want to have again. Josie had lost her patience as he had kept pressing her to think about it.
“Easy for you to say, Dean, you don’t have to painfully carry out the child for 9 months, you don’t have to give birth to it, and you don’t have to stay home with him for the first couple of months! You can just take off whenever a case calls you, but I’m stuck here, and I will be the one who has to give up college life for yet another year and study at home!”
And it was true; Josie would have to sacrifice more than he would. A lot more, and being pregnant wasn’t a cakewalk for her, either, as she still suffered from the damage done in that accident.
Dean had felt bad for asking after her outburst, but his longing for another child remained.

*****

“Mommy, when’s Dad going to be back?”
I indicated right and turned into our street. Truth was, Dean should have been back yesterday. All I’d gotten had been a text message: Won’t make it today, I’ll call.
So far, he hadn’t called, which ever so slightly pissed me off; but I wouldn’t show my son that. “Very soon, Nate. He has to hunt monsters so that we are safe.”
“I want to hunt monsters when I grow up.” Nate said and smiled proudly with the kind of innocence only children can muster up.
My heart twitched painfully. I hoped that fate might turn around and Nate wouldn’t be forced to keep living in the hunters’ world for the rest of his life... wished he didn’t have such great a destiny to fulfil, where I didn’t even know exactly what that would mean for him.
“Mommy, can we make waffles for lunch?”
I smiled; I wished my mind could switch that fast from monsters to waffles. “Of course, honey.” I pulled up into the driveway and opened the door for Nate. I rested him on my hip, holding him with one hand and my keys in another.
I fiddled with the key and was just about to unlock the front door when something caught my eye and immediately triggered every instinct I had in my bone, be it from hunting, be it from being a mother.
There, on the lock of our front door, were barely visible scratches. Someone was inside our house, waiting for me and my son to come home.