Status: Active again! New chapter up as of 8/13/11!

A New Kind of Dangerous

Eighteen.

It was early Saturday evening and Raven was scrambling to get ready. At lunch yesterday, she had asked Sydney out on an official date. A date seemed pointless at this point, but she felt it was exactly what they both needed. She knew Sydney to an extent, but she didn’t know everything. They needed to exchange pasts, learn the little things, share their hopes and dreams for the future. She had never been able to do something like that with anyone. Raven wasn’t a very open person in that sense, but with Sydney she at least had the will to try.

Sydney had refused to tell her where they were going on this date, which made her extremely nervous. All she had said was to dress casual. Raven was grateful for this as that meant they wouldn’t be doing anything outrageously expensive. She had been extremely worried that she wouldn’t be able to live up to Syd’s expectations. Brad was loaded and she had heard about how much money he was willing to drop on a night out with her. Raven liked to think that money played no factor in her relationships.

She was wearing a pair of dark colored skinny jeans and a purple V-neck shirt when she finally finished getting ready. She had straightened her black hair as usual, but her makeup was softer tonight.

She completed her look by slipping on a dark brown cardigan and her grey Toms she had just bought last week. She grabbed her cell phone, keys, and wallet before taking a seat in the living room. She had offered to drive, but Sydney had insisted on picking her up for their date.

Her dad walked in the room and ended up taking a seat next to her on the couch. “What are you still doing home? Aren’t you usually at some party by now?”

“I have a date.” She told him.

He looked at her in interest for a moment. “That’s great honey!” He said as a smile broke out on his face. She nodded and they fell into a comfortable silence.

“You know, it’s really nice to see you going out to somewhere that’s not some party for a change. I haven’t said anything before now because I don’t want to be the overbearing father, but I’ve been extremely worried about you lately. You’ve never been one to show your feelings, I know that, but even I can see how much things have changed in your life this year.

Don’t be angry, but your sister told me about what that Jae girl did to you. After that is when I noticed a change in you. You started to shut us out, you began skipping school, and your drinking took itself to an extreme. I don’t mind you drinking, you know that, but I don’t want anything bad to happen to you because of it. I thought and thought about saying something to you about it, but I didn’t want you to lose you because of it. That Austin girl did a number on you and so did your mother. You’ve been through too much in your life. I hope this girl is good for you, Raven.”

She opened her mouth to reply, but nothing seemed to come out. She suddenly felt like crying and crying and crying. She wanted to lock herself away in a tomb and not come out for a thousand years.
She honestly did not know why she felt like this, but it fucking sucked.

The doorbell suddenly rang out. She looked around in bewilderment. Nobody ever rang the doorbell. Nearly everyone that came over simply walked inside, announcing their arrival. She checked her phone to see if Sydney had text her saying she was outside, but she hadn’t.

She heard her little sister running down the hallway to answer the door before anybody else could get to it. Raven settled back on the couch cushions, assuming Jordan had a friend coming over or something. “Yeah, she’s in the living room. Are you her girlfriend?” Raven suddenly heard from the next room. Damn her little sister for saying something embarrassing. She leapt from the couch and hurried to the front door.

Sydney looked absolutely breathtaking. She had straightened her long, brown hair and worn makeup, which was rare for her. She didn’t even need it to look beautiful, it just added to it. She was dressed casual as well, wearing a pair of Miss Me jeans and a powder blue Abercrombie & Fitch hoodie. Raven couldn’t stop herself from leaning in to kiss her as she took in her appearance.

Loud giggling erupted from behind her and she reluctantly pulled away, glaring at her sister. Before she could grab her and strangle the life out of her, her dad appeared from behind them.

“Hey there. I’m Raven’s dad. You must be her date.”

Raven closed her eyes. Her family was so fucking embarrassing when it came to her love life. No wonder she never introduced anybody to them.

Sydney just smiled and shook his hand. “Hi, I’m Sydney Harper. It’s nice to meet you Mr. Wooten.” She said politely.

“It’s nice to meet you too and call me Jim.” He said.

Ten minutes later, Raven had finally pulled Sydney from the clutches of her family and led her to the car. They got in and Sydney began driving them toward wherever they were going. Raven kept asking, but Sydney absoluetly refused to tell her anything at all.

Fifteen minutes later, they were in a part of town she didn’t know that well and getting out of the car.
They walked up to the place and she saw what looked like a miniature golf course. “What is this place?” She asked her. She had never seen anything like it before and she wondered why. It looked to be pretty popular, although it was mostly kids and their parents here.

“Goofy golfing.” She replied. They stepped up to the booth and picked out their clubs and balls. Raven picked out a blue one while Sydney picked out all yellow.

“That will be five dollars.”

Raven immediately grabbed her wallet out of her back pocket to pay, but Sydney knocked her hand away. “Let me-“ She began to say in protest, but was silenced with the look that Sydney gave her. She allowed her to pay, but decided she would insist on paying for what they did after this.

They headed over to the first hole, which simply required hitting the ball straight ahead and into the hole. Sydney set her ball down and swung, managing to get the ball in the hole on the first try. Raven picked up her club, knowing she was going to make a complete idiot of herself. She had never hit a golf ball in her entire life. She copied Sydney’s actions and swung at the ball, but managed to miss completely. She felt her cheeks heating up in total embarrassment, but before she could turn around, she felt Sydney’s hand on her waist.

“Move your feet apart like this.” She said, demonstrating. Raven moved her feet until they matched the way she was standing perfectly. “Okay now, bring the club back” Sydney placed her hands over her own and guided the club up over her shoulder. “and now put all your weight on your left foot and swing.” She said, arms moving along with her own as Raven swung at the ball.

She closed her eyes as she felt it connect, not wanting to see how badly she’d fuck up this time. Opening her eyes, she was surprised to find that she had gotten a hole in one.

They moved along to the remaining holes. Raven was getting better at hitting the ball, but she had allowed Sydney to help her a few more times. Honestly, she just loved the way she felt when Sydney touched her. They were now at their last hole and Sydney was beating her by at least fifty points. She didn’t care much, though. Not as long as she was with Sydney.

“Raven!” She was surprised to hear her own name being called out. She looked up and was even more surprised when she saw who exactly was calling to her. It was Sarah and she was with her new best friend, whatever the hell her name was. This was going to be extremely awkward.