Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

New Allies and Old Friends

“My Lady… Lady Triina, wake up, they’ve returned!”

Triina awoke to Aedán gently shaking her with his announcement. His eyes were bloodshot, telling tale of his sleepless and tearful night of grief. “Make way for the King! Make way for Théoden, make way for the King!” a man’s voice announced in the distance as she woke fully. “We should go to them then, there may be wounded who need our help.” She yawned and stood from her place asleep against a stone wall. “I would like to say my good-byes to my father, as well.” He nodded sadly. “Of course.” She sighed, and led him to the gates with a pit of dread in her stomach. She had another dream showing images of Legolas and Aragorn’s deaths, and was terrified to arrive to see their bodies beside Aodhán’s.

Relief washed over her when she saw the familiar green clothing, and blonde hair. With a yelp of excitement she ran into to Legolas’ arms, not caring who was around to see as she kissed him passionately, just to feel that he was real. “I told you that I would be all right, did I not?” he muttered as she clung to him, kissing the side of her head after asking his question. “You were right then, my nightmares are not set in stone predictions.” she beamed, pulling away and looking past him for the source of her other worries.

“Lord Aragorn, where is he?” Èowyn questioned before she could speak. Legolas’ emotions changed from joy to sorrow instantly. “He fell,” Gimli answered gravely. Èowyn looked up to King Théoden in disbelief while Triina felt as though a dagger had been forced into her heart. “Legolas,” she whispered, pleading for him to tell her otherwise, that Gimli was mistaken and that Aragorn would be riding through the gates shortly, but no such things were said. She saw Aedán a short way from her, watching with curious and sad eyes, and once again refused let him see her cry. Instead she buried her face in Legolas’ shoulder and regained her composure as he held her, before standing up straight and walking to King Théoden.

“Many have died, though I see no bodies. Tell me, Théoden King, where are they?” she questioned respectfully. “There were too many, and we could not bring them without risking more lives.” He explained.

“You left the dead?”

“We had no choice.”

“Forgive me Théoden King, I did not mean to sound judgmental. It is only that your people will need closure, especially in such dark fearful times as these.”

“Yes, I know. There is little we can do, other than offer our condolences.”

“You are wrong in that. There is a ceremony, I have done it already before on my journey with the Fellowship, for a memorial without bodies. Instead we use ice statues to represent the dead, as part of an ancient Til’Arin tradition. I could perform something similar to it, if you would like.”

King Théoden looked over the many heartbroken faces, feeling pain as the cries of his people reached his ears. “If you can ease their suffering, by all means do it.” He nodded. She smiled and bowed her head slightly before walking back to Legolas, who was speaking softly with Aedán.

“I need your help with something.” She sighed to them. “With what, My Lady?” Aedán asked. “I need water for a memorial service. This is a very old tradition, rarely conducted by my people… in fact this hasn’t been done in any of our lifetimes, or that of our fathers, or grandfathers. Can you fetch me all water that can be spared, Aedán?” she explained. He nodded and quickly ran off, leaving her and Legolas standing alone.

“Is this memorial different than what you gave Lyle and Gandalf?” he questioned.

“Yes, very. This is a ceremony for mass-death without bodies. Battles where the fallen cannot be brought home. One statue, to represent many. One statue turned to rain across the land as its water brings peace to the fallen that cannot return home.”

“This memorial may mark the change of times for Til’Arin.”

“No, Legolas, my love for you has marked the change of times for my people. You have given me strength in times where I would despair. Even now you offer me strength.” She smiled. They embraced again as she cried softly for Aragorn, only forcing her tears back when she heard Aedán’s voice calling to her.

They parted and turned to see three men with barrels of water. “Is this enough, My Lady?” he asked hopefully. “It is perfect, thank you.” She smiled and motioned for the men to follow her.

Though they needed to prepare for any attacks that may be sent, King Théoden and his people gathered around the gates of Helms Deep for the ceremony. “We are lucky to have befriended such a creature as this Til’Arin woman, Sillis Triina. Not only is she a skilled warrior unmatched by any I have seen, she has the ability to offer something to us that I, your King, cannot. Closure, and a chance to bid farewell to our fallen men.” He announced. Triina was now dressed in a black dress and cloak, with the hood pulled up to hide her face, leaving only her long hair visible as it hung lose over her shoulder. She stepped forward to stand behind the in the center of the three barrels that had been placed in a triangle, and raised her hands. The crowd gasped as the water came from the barrels to create a large ice statue of a Rohirric man in his full armor and cloak. At his feet were shelves for offerings.

She said a few words and just as she had before with the statues of Lyle and Gandalf, she knelt down and touched her forehead to the ground for a moment as she said her goodbye to Aragorn. The sorrow around her was overwhelming as it added to her own and forced her to cry, but she refused to shake with her sobs; she would be strong for these people, because they needed her strength.

Little by little the people around her came up to bid farewell to their husbands, sons, brothers, fathers, and friends. Mothers knelt with their arms around their small children, helping them to place their offerings on the shelves before moving away so the next could do the same. The one she watched closely though, was Aedán. As he knelt he offered only a leather band, but she knew that it held a great significance to the father and son.
“Father, I know you cannot hear me, but perhaps there is a way… I won’t fail you. I’ll fight jus as hard as before, and protect our people and myself. I will learn from all those around me, and help them in any way I can. Don’t worry for me, Father. I will be all right. I will miss you, Father. Farewell.” He bowed again and walked away with tears in his eyes, and as she followed him with her gaze she saw Legolas put his arm around the boy and comfort him to the best of his ability.

King Théoden came up to bid farewell to his men. She couldn’t hear the things he said to them, if he said anything at all, but she could feel great sadness in him, and fear. After him, Èowyn stepped forth and said her good-byes, and then Triina stood again to bring an end to the ceremony.

She lifted her hands again, and the statue began to melt. The offerings were held in the water, and lifted high above Helms Deep. “As the waters spread across the lands, taking the offerings find their indented men, may they bring peace to our beloved men, who have not returned to us. We will not dwell on death, as it will bring us no life. We will honor our fallen by embracing the lives they have saved, and fighting to preserve them, and in that honoring we too shall find peace.” She announced, and sent the sphere of water to fly far from Helms deep, creating a shower of rain over the lands. With a ragged breath she turned to face the people and lowered her hood. Everyone was surprised to see that she had been crying. “We have all suffered a great loss, but this does not mean we are bound to our suffering. They will not want us sitting here in mourning until death comes to us as well. They will want us to live on, so that they can watch our happiness and smile upon us from the Waiting Halls until our destined times have come for us to join them.” She smiled. The crowed applauded her as her words gave them a small glimmer of hope, and with that she took her leave.

“There has been a change in you, Triina.” Legolas commented later as they stood together, watching Aedán tend to a group of small children. “A change, no… I wouldn’t say a change, Legolas. I have realized my place. One day I will be in the same position as King Théoden, as my father King Radill, and as my mother Sillis Arrine. I will be at the front of my people, protecting, defending, and leading them. I was only a swordswoman when this all began, but now… I am becoming the future queen of Til’Arin, and coming to know the weight of my title.”

“But you will not have to bear that weight alone.”

“No, I know you would help me carry it… but the heavier the sword, the stronger the arm to wield it becomes. I do not intend to crumble beneath my name, Legolas. I intend to do just as I said I would in the boats as we departed Lothlórien; I aim to restore my people’s name to the way it was before the Times of Peace, before we were thought to be legends, myth, and cowards.”

“And you are. King Théoden has already developed a great respect for your people, the elves of Lothlórien no longer think you to be myth, the elves of Rivendell have respected your people for years, and now I can say that the elves of my homeland would have the same views.”

She was about to answer when she noticed a group of people crowding the gates. “Could it have started already?” she asked quietly, mostly thinking aloud. “No, it’s… Aragorn!” Legolas laughed. She looked up blankly to him, but he had already left to greet his friend. She laughed and jumped from the ledge they were standing on, and ran to the crowd, beating him by seconds.

“Where is he! Where is he! Get out of my way! I'm gonna kill him! You are the luckiest, most cunning, and most reckless man I ever knew!” Gimli shouted while pushing his way through the crowd. Triina and Legolas had been separated, and she was unable to get through the crowd until someone grabbed her hand and started to pull her with them. “Make way for Lady Triina, she has done much for us this day the least we could do is allow her to greet her friend!” he shouted. The crowd parted the way they had for King Théoden, revealing Aragorn standing only feet from her, smiling both at her and Aedán. “Thank you,” she smiled to her newest friend, and ran to embrace Aragorn.

“You are the second Fellowship member I have given a memorial to, only to have them return later.” She laughed as they suffocated each other. “Would falling from a cliff be enough to keep me from seeing this quest through?” he questioned with a smile once they parted. “Of course not, I don’t know what I was thinking.” She laughed as he left to find King Théoden. She quickly followed him, catching up after he and Legolas reunited. She didn’t follow them to see the King though, because a tearful woman who was begging stopped her for her help.

“Please, My Lady, no one else will help me find them! My two children, Aasta and Achaius were playing by the gates when your friend returned and were lost in the crowd, I have been calling out to them but they are gone! Please help me find my children, please! I fear they are trapped outside the gates, but the guards will not so much as look for them there!”

“Calm down, I will help you. What is your name?”

“Astrid,”

“Don’t worry Astrid; we will find your children.” Triina nodded and followed the panicking woman to where she last saw her children.

“Here, and then they were gone!”

Triina nodded and walked up to one of the guards. “I already told you woman, I haven’t seen your children. Now leave us, there is more important work to be done than searching for a couple foolish brats.” He grunted, though he was doing nothing but standing beside a watchtower. Triina stepped closer to him and grabbed his shoulder; “Those ‘foolish brats’ mean everything to this woman, as do any children to their mothers. As a man in service to your king, you should have respect for his people. Now tell me, do you take pleasure in seeing the people of Théoden King suffering?” she demanded harshly.

The guard remained silent.

“Check the gate for her children. It isn’t a hard task.”

“I take no orders from a woman.”

“If you do not open this gate, I will climb over the wall myself to look for them.”

“I will leave you to your task then.” He smirked and walked off, leaving Astrid in tears, and Triina furiously determined to find Aasta and Achaius. “Take this, and find Legolas. He shouldn’t be hard to spot, he’s the elf dressed all in green; he should be speaking with King Théoden still. Tell him exactly what has happened, and that I have gone over the wall.” She ordered, handing Astrid the arrowhead. The woman nodded and ran off as she climbed the stairs to the watch-posts, took a rope, and scaled down the wall to the other side of the gates.

“She has what?” Gimli shouted in disbelief after Astrid gave the news to everyone in Théoden’s throne room. “They will open the gates. They should have at the very notion that a child may be trapped outside Helms Deep!” King Théoden announced and led them all out.

“Triina, the woman with the colored hair, where is she?” Gimli demanded, ready to attack the guard who first refused Astrid’s requests, to get Triina back inside the stronghold. “She has run from the keep, My Lords! The moment her feet touched the ground she ran into the distance! She has fled!” one of the guards on the wall shouted. “She has gone mad.” Legolas muttered, fearing for her life. “No! She is running back, I can see her!” another announced.

Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, Astrid, and King Théoden ran to the top of the wall to see what was happening, only to have Astrid screaming for her children. “That’s Achaius, that’s my son! She is carrying my son!” she cried, noticing the small, blonde, limp, figure in her arms. “Why she stopping?” Théoden questioned. “To wait for his sister.” Legolas answered, being the only one able to see the young girl running behind her.

“Aasta, take your brother for me and run to the keep. Don’t stop, no matter what you hear or see, do not stop. Do you understand me? Just run!” Triina ordered and pushed the tiny child into the girl’s arms. Aasta nodded and ran for her life, and that of her brother as three warg scouts ran into view.

Once again Triina drew her swords and prepared for a fight, but instead re-sheathed them, turned and ran. As soon as she was close enough she grabbed Aasta, and carried both children to the gates.

“Open the gates! Now!” King Théoden ordered. “SHOOT THEM!!” Triina yelled as she ran through them. “Must you wait for my order? Fire!” Théoden yelled, annoyed with his men for not taking the order from her.

“Aasta, Achaius!” Astrid sobbed ass she ran down and collapsed beside her children. “He’s alive and well, Astrid. He is simply tired.” Triina breathed with a smile as the others joined them.

“King Théoden, I suggest having a stern talk with some of your men. These children would have died had I not found them.” She stated. “Yes, I plan on it. But now we must prepare for battle; war is upon us.” He announced. She nodded and followed Legolas and Aragorn to the armory to help prepare the people for the fight.

“Farmers, stable boys… these are no soldiers.” Aragorn sighed as they stood and watched the many boys and men be dressed and armed for battle. “Most of them have seen too many winters!” Gimli commented. “Or too few. Look at them, they are frightened; I can see it in their eyes.” Legolas pointed out. “Of course they are frightened, we all are, Legolas. Consider yourself lucky that you only see it, and do not have to feel it.” Triina muttered before helping a small boy with his chain mail. Aragorn and Legolas began speaking in elfish, and she tuned them out, once again only following emotions as she focused on other tasks until Aragorn said something that pulled her attention back to them.

“Then I shall die as one of them!” he shouted angrily, and walked away. Legolas went to follow but was stopped by Gimli. “Are we really going to die this night, Lady Triina?” the boy she was helping asked fearfully. “I cannot give that answer to you, because I honestly don’t know. But I can say with great confidence that there is still hope. No matter what is said, there will always be hope.” She sighed and watched as he was taken away by one of the guards to be given a weapon.

Later, after helping the others with their armor, Aragorn, Triina, Legolas, and Gimli prepared themselves. Legolas and Aragorn were no longer angry with one another and for that Triina was thankful, but she couldn’t force herself to be happy now. Too many emotions were raging around her, and above anything else she felt fear. “If we had the time, I would have this adjusted.” Gimli announced as he walked over wearing his armor. As he let go the shirt to the ground, “It’s a little tight around the chest.”

Triina smiled, as did Legolas and Aragorn, but before she could speak a horn sounded in the distance, accompanied by a low ring of a gong that sounded very similar to rain. “That is no orc horn!” Legolas announced. “It cannot be,” Triina breathed and ran to the gates to see an army of elves marching forward in two columns, beside two columns of Til’Arin. Aragorn continued to run forth as she stopped in awe, and embraced the elfish commander who he recognized as Haldir. The other commander, the Til’Arin woman looked extremely familiar, though he couldn’t place where he had seen her before.

“Mother!” Triina’s voice echoed in the silence as she pushed past King Théoden and tightly hugged the Til’Arin woman who stood beside Haldir. “How did you know?” she asked, still in shock by the presence of her people. “Our people, as well as the Elves, were given the message by two visitors. Eevalin came to me on the same night as Lelir took the message to Lord Elrond. They may be dead, but they are far from gone.” She smiled. Haldir nodded as Legolas came down to join them, also giving the elf a joyful hug. “We are proud to fight alongside Men once more.” He nodded. “And we are proud to fight for the good of Middle Earth once more. This is who we are meant to be, my daughter, and you have given it back to us.” Sillis Arrine smiled.

That night Men, Elves, and Til’Arin stood together, weapons drawn, and warriors positioned along every wall. Triina stood beside her mother, a short way from the elves and Haldir, beside Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. Aedán requested to stand beside her in the battle and she agreed, promising to protect him with all of her strength.

Far in the distance, the uruk-hai army became visible as a mass of torches. “Well Lad, the luck you live by, let’s hope it lasts the night.” Gimli nodded to Aragorn as the army marched closer. “Your friends are with you, and they are many.” Arrine nodded, referring not only to the Fellowship, but also to all Til’Arin, Rohirric people, and Elves surrounding them. “Let’s hope they last the night.” Gimli nodded. Triina laughed lightly and looked up to the sky. Her eyes flashed their glowing ice blue, shocking the Elves and Men who could see them, and in an instant it began to rain lightly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?