Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

A Changing of Times

The uruk-hai army marched closer to Helms Deep as a light rain began to fall over the Elves, Rohirrim, and Til’Arin. After Triina’s eyes returned to normal from calling the rain, she turned to see several other Til’Arin looking up to the sky with glowing eyes, turning her light shower to a full on downpour. “This battle will be great, Triina, and with every great battle there is great loss. I want you to know that you and your love have my blessing. Only two other stories have been told of a Til’Arin and an Elf falling in love; I would want yours to be one to end in happiness.” Arrine said softly, and for the first time since she had known her, Triina saw fear in her mother’s eyes.

“Mother, we are all afraid, there is hope. As long as we hold true to each other, there is always hope.”

“And where have you learned this lesson?”

Triina looked over to Aragorn and smiled, “A very wise friend of mine has spent a long time teaching it to me.”

The uruk-hai reached the wall, and stood pounding their shields and spears to intimidate the forces inside Helms Deep. All archers readied their weapons, but held until they were given the order to fire. Somewhere down the line, Triina saw someone slip and the arrow fly from his bow into the neck of one of the uruks. “Hold!” she and Aragorn ordered together before the elves and Til’Arin could fire.

Everything stood still as the uruk fell to the ground as if in slow motion. Triina’s heart pounded hard against her chest. Arrine took a deep steadying breath as the uruks gave their war cry, and charged. “Their armor is weak at the neck, and under the arms.” Legolas announced as the battle began.

“Fire!” Aragorn shouted, and a rain of elfish arrows fell down upon the charging creatures. “Fire!” Arrine and Triina shouted together, and many silver and white Til’Arin arrows joined the bombardment. Triina and Arrine both lifted their hands and turned the rain to ice shards, guiding them to the weak points of the uruks. King Théoden gave his order and thousands of Rohirric arrows joined as well as the Til’Arin without bows joined their queen and princess in controlling the ice shards.

“Keep firing! Show them no mercy!” Arrine cried to her people. War was natural to the peaceful people of Til’Arin, and to anyone around them it was impossible to believe that this was their first battle in hundreds of thousands of years; the first time they took arms in hundreds of thousands of years.

Uruks fell dead in mass numbers, but still they came in numbers unlike any Elf, Til’Arin or Man had ever seen. “Ladders!” Aedán cried suddenly. “Good!” Gimli shouted, adjusting his grip on his waiting axe. “Do not let fear decide your actions, Aedán; we are with you.” Triina said firmly as an uruk rode a ladder up to be face to face with Arrine. Aedán jumped at the shier ferocity of the creature, and subconsciously stepped behind Triina.

Arrine drew her own set of twin blades and beheaded him before kicking the ladder to fall back down upon the uruks, all in one swift movement. “Mother, are those the…?” Triina questioned blankly. “Raging River Blades, yes. They have been in my possession since the day your grandmother died.” She nodded as another uruk came up. Before Aragorn could move to fight it, Triina copied her mother’s actions and sent him and the ladder falling back. “The Ice Blades! Those haven’t been in the hands of our people since the family before ours was in rule!” Arrine gasped. “Yes, they have been in Lothlórien, in the care of Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel. They were given to me when we departed from our short stay there.” Triina nodded as she fought yet another uruk, and Arrine helped Aedán fight two.

“Legolas, I’m on two already!” Gimli shouted triumphantly. “I’m on seventeen!” he replied. “They are keeping score of the kills?” Arrine asked her daughter as they fought to protect the people around them. “Yes, and Gimli is losing.” She chuckled. “Agh! I’ll have no pointy-eared prince beating me!” he growled through his fight. “How about a green-haired princess?” Aedán smirked. “What?” Legolas asked without taking his eyes from his fight. “She’s killed at least thirty.” Arrine laughed. “And my mother is on at least twice that; she has far better skill with ice rain than I do.” Triina nodded before running off to help a nearby child fight off the uruk that was at least three times his size. The boy wasn’t fighting as much as trying to lift his axe that weighed far too much for his small arms.

“Down!” she shouted. The boy looked back and ducked just in time for her to leap over him and slice her way through the uruk. “Stay with me. Do not leave my side.” She ordered. He nodded, his eyes wide with terror, this child could be no more than six years old. Aedán came up behind them and helped in their fight against the many uruks. “Lady Triina, I’ll protect him; they need help by the gates! There are hundreds protected by shields charging them!” he announced. She nodded and ran off, but was slowed by her need to fight her way across the wall.

“Thank the gods for elves!” she heard Arrine shout with what sounded almost like a laugh as the rain stopped. She could only imagine her mother, soaking wet, wearing her headdress and royal war clothes, smiling and cheering her way through battle. Never did she think that her skill for battle came from her mother, when the Til’Arin were such peaceful people. But no, now she knew, everything she was came from her mother. King Radill was a shadow from her creation, and nothing more than a weight to hold her down.

She looked down below the troops and saw an uruk running with a torch to Helms Deep’s drain. “Legolas!” she screamed after realizing he was running to explosives. “Stop him! Stop him, kill him!” Aragorn shouted upon noticing the same thing. Both Arrine and Legolas fired their bows at him, covering him in arrows and ice, but failed to kill him; the explosives were lit.

As a large section of the wall exploded Triina fell from the wall, being caught by a Til’Arin man, and woman, and one elf. “Are you all right Sillis Triina?” she gasped. “Yes, thank you!” she shouted over the noise of battle and ran to help in any way she could.

Aragorn was disoriented, and lying on the ground as Gimli fought beside him, hacking away at the uruk-hai. Without a word she joined in, once again fighting with her incredible speed and skill. “Gimli, Triina! Prepare to charge!” Aragorn announced, surprising the Til’Arin woman by how quickly he recovered. “Aragorn, I cannot say I’m confident in this plan… but I trust you, and so far you have never led me to be hurt. I trust you know what you’re doing?” she asked worriedly. “Not quite,” he smiled and ordered the charge.

Uruks continued to pour through the hole in the wall, but were met by Elves, Til’Arin, Men, and a Dwarf. Both forces clashed with brute force, erupting into more of a battle than what existed before. Triina gave her own war cry to vent her fear, and continued to slice through the uruks who were so determined to extinguish all life in Helms Deep.

She turned around just in time to see an uruk fall at her feet before he could run her through. When looking for the archer to fire the arrow to kill him, she saw Legolas standing on a shield, sliding down the stairs as he fired several more. Over the wall behind him, Arrine jumped and slid down a slant of ice she created and landed with her swords both in the necks of different uruks. More Til’Arin followed her lead and also joined in the fight, some bringing Elves and Men with them. “Ah, ha! So this is what the stories told of!” a Til’Arin man shouted, feeling the rush of battle flowing through his veins. “I can think of no better way to die, than defending such-” another joined in, but was run through before she could finish. Arrine sent a spear of ice into the throat of the uruk who killed her, and continued to fight.

“How are you, Triina?” Legolas asked as they fought side by side for the first time since the battle began. “I am well as can be expected, how are you, Legolas?” she replied sarcastically. “Better now that I see you still breathe.” He answered honestly, “Behind you!”

Triina turned and ducked as he killed the uruk who was about to kill her. “And you!” she shouted, pushing him out of the way and killing the other. “Both of you turn around!” Gimli yelled and jumped off a ledge to kill a third.

Even with their numbers, they were being overrun by uruk-hai. “Fight! Fight with all you have! Push them back!” Arrine bellowed to her men and women. “No, fall back! Pull back to the gate!” King Théoden ordered. “Triina, fall back!” Aragorn shouted but her mother wasn’t following Théoden’s orders, therefore she couldn’t follow Aragorn’s. The very hands of the gods couldn’t keep her from leaving Sillis Arrine to fight alone.

Aragorn shouted to Haldir, who was fighting a short distance from the two Til’Arin women to pull back and he passed the order to his own men but didn’t see the uruk coming up behind him. “Haldir!” Aragorn shouted as the elf was struck. Triina whipped around to see him dazed on his knees, staring at the many elfish bodies around him. “Haldir!” she screamed, unable to leave her fight with her mother to fight her way to him. All she could do was glance over and watch him die in Aragorn’s arms.

Tears ran down her face as the realization hit her of the countless bodies of her people as well. “Triina, follow your friend. Fall back to the gates and brace them with what is left of our people.” Arrine ordered. “No. No I will not! They need their queen with them, you will be kept out!” she shouted as more uruk-hai flooded the area they fought in.

“And they shall have her, Triina. My time has passed as Queen. You now must lead our people, we both knew my death was to come this day. Now do not disobey me, go! If I shall die, let it be to save the life of my beloved daughter!”

“NO! I have lost too many who are dear to me, to lose you now too!” Triina cried, as Aragorn came up to help them fight. “Go my child, and lead our people. The time has come for a new era, a changing of times.” She ordered. “Mother,” she whimpered as tears poured from her eyes. “Take her, Lord Aragorn, and keep her well.” Arrine nodded as he put his hands on Triina’s trembling shoulders, “And you, Triina, my beloved daughter, do not doubt my love for you. I have always loved you, and will never leave you. I shall remain in the Waiting Halls until you join me, many years from now. I love you, my daughter.” She nodded with tears in her eyes, kissed Triina’s forehead, and charged the uruk-hai, giving one final war cry as Aragorn dragged Triina, sobbing and screaming for her mother, behind the gates.

“Brace the gates, now!” he ordered though everyone was already working on that. “What happened? Where is Queen Arrine?” Théoden questioned, taking no notice of Triina’s condition. Aragorn remained silent and led Triina to Legolas, who was attempting to push his way through the crowd. As soon as she was in his arms, she began to cry harder, holding onto him with everything she had, for now he was that all she had. “Triina, you must offer strength to your people, for theirs is fading. They are tired, and filled with fear, and looking to you now for leadership. You must be strong to offer them hope.” He said softly as the others continued to brace the gates.

“I can’t, I have no strength left to give.” She whispered.

“Then let me be your strength. You have already become the queen you were always meant to be. You have led Aedán through his grief and into battle, offered closure to an entire city of people, and given them hope enough to fight this night, and stood at the front lines, commanding your people in this battle. I know you can do this, Triina; I have faith in you.”

She took a deep, shaking breath and hugged him closer to her.

“Lady Triina,” Aedán called as he joined them, followed closely by the small boy that he had promised to protect. “Though I cannot say that I fully understand, or have felt what you are feeling now, I do know what it is like to lose someone close to you.” He said softly, “And though you are not my queen, and my allegiance is sworn to that of Théoden King, I would follow you as far as I am able, My Lady.

“I know that you are afraid. I am too… I have never been so afraid, but I would like to share with you my father’s last words to me. Before he rode up to stand beside Legolas he turned to me, ‘Aedán, my son,’ he said, ‘remember that there is no courage without fear.’ Lady Triina, there really isn’t courage without fear.”

There was a sudden change in Triina as she took in his words. She slowly let go of Legolas and looked over what was left of her people’s army, standing terrified beside her with their weapons drawn as the many uruk-hai nearly burst through the gate; only a hundred or so remained. “Aedán,” she sighed, kneeling down before him to be at his level, “Never have I learned so much from one person in such a short time. For what I am about to do, I owe you everything. As Queen of my people I will remember that lesson, for it is a very good one to learn.” She smiled and walked up to the gates, using her powers over what little water was available to help barricade them with ice.

Aragorn and Gimli went to fight on the other side of the gates to buy some time as Triina and King Théoden helped their men side by side. “I never thought a kingdom could fight so well after so many years of being passive.” He commented as they carried a large wooden beam together. “To be honest, neither did I!” she shouted, grunted in reply.

After a while of hard work from everyone involved Triina ran up to where Legolas was standing with a rope, ready to pull Aragorn and Gimli back to their side of the wall. “We cannot hoist them alone!” She yelled as they struggled to hold their weight.

“We can!”

“Legolas they’re slipping from our grasp!”

“We can pull them up!”

Suddenly the weight was less for them to hold. Triina looked over her shoulder to see a Til’Arin woman helping them with all of her strength. Behind her walked an elf, who also picked up the rope and joined them. Aedán ran up behind him and began to pull, as well as one of Théoden’s commanders, and before long Aragorn and Gimli were standing before them, panting with exhaustion.

The gates were secure, but more ladders were rising on the walls, the gates didn’t matter anymore. “This is madness,” Triina sighed as she prepared for another heavy confrontation. “Pull everybody back! Pull back!” Théoden shouted from somewhere in the crowd behind them. “Fall back! Fall back!” one of his guards ordered. Triina made eye contact with Legolas, who nodded sadly before she ran off at a surprising speed with her exhaustion.

“They have broken through! Fall back! Follow Théoden King’s orders and retreat! Move!” she shouted to her people. “What of the wounded, and those who cannot run fast enough?” one of her men asked frantically. “Help them. Carry the children who cannot keep up, help the wounded who cannot walk! Go now!” she answered and joined her fellow Til’Arin in assisting anyone in need in the retreat.

“The fortress is taken, it is over.” King Théoden announced gravely they stood in a room behind the second door, while the uruks worked on destroying that one as well. “You said this fortress would never fail as long as your men defend it. They still defend it! They have died defending it!” Aragorn shouted. There was a loud bang against the door, and a wave of terror flooded the room having a great effect on the Til’Arin.

“Is there no way for the women and children to escape?” Triina asked softly, but was given no reply. “Is there no other way?” Aragorn pushed. “There is one passage, it leads into the mountains. But they will not get far, the uruk-hai are too many.” One of the commanders answered. “Then send word for them to make for the mountain pass, and barricade the door. I will send some of my men to help them.” Triina announced, and signaled a group of twenty Til’Arin soldiers to go with him, “Aedán, you too.” She ordered. “My Lady, I cannot. I must follow Théoden King.” He replied. “Sire, this boy would pose a great asset to the others, giving leadership and courage to the frightened children.” She announced. “Go with them.” He nodded. Aedán nodded and ran after the Til’Arin, secretly relieved to be going with the women and other children.

“So much death… what can men do against such reckless hate?” Théoden muttered to himself as the uruks continued to break down the door. “Ride out with me.” Aragorn answered. “Yes, ride out and meet them.” Triina agreed with an encouraging smile. “For death and glory?” Théoden questioned. “For Rohan, for your people.” Aragorn corrected.

“The sun is rising.” Gimli announced. “Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.” Triina muttered, repeating Gandalf’s instructions before he departed Edoras. “Yes, yes! The horn of Mount Hammerhand will sound in the Deep one last time!” Théoden announced. Gimli gave an enthusiastic cheer and ran up to blow the horn. “Let this be the hour we draw swords together.” Aragorn said to the King. “Yes, Sons of Gondor and Rohan, and Daughter of Til’Arin.” He nodded.

As Gimli sounded the horn, the doors gave way and Théoden rode out with Triina, Aragorn, Legolas, his men, and the Til’Arin behind him. They fought down the bridge and into the heart of the uruk-hai army. Triina stopped and looked up to see three figures clothed all in white atop the hill before them. One a tall man, with light hair and fair skin, wearing white robes and carrying a gleaming white bow. Beside him was a beautiful woman with short blue hair, wearing a gown to match his robes, and holding two identical swords, though Triina couldn’t see what they looked like. Beside them was a wizard with long white hair, white robes and staff, saddled upon a white horse. “Gandalf!” she breathed excitedly, catching Legolas’ attention. “And Lelir and Eevalin!” he beamed.

King Théoden was beside her and also turned his attention to the wizard and ghosts. “Théoden King stands alone.” Gandalf announced as Èomer rode up beside him. “Not alone,” he said proudly, drawing his sword. “Rohirrim!” he cried as his men rode into view. “Èomer!” Théoden smiled. “To the King!” he shouted, and led the new soldiers to the battle down to fight beside them.

The uruks turned and pointed their spears at them, creating a deadly wall that would surely skewer anyone to collide with it, but just before the riders met them the sun rose, blinding them all.

A new battle began then as others from inside Helms Deep charge the uruks as well. Triina fought beside Legolas, now competing in his and Gimli’s little game. Lelir stayed at Eevalin’s side, protecting her though he knew she couldn’t be harmed. “Victory is near, My Lady!” a Til’Arin commander cheered while slicing through two uruks at once. “Yes, yes it is! The era of cowering behind our city’s walls has come to an end my friend! This day we rejoin Middle Earth as the force we once were!” she cried. In that moment even Gandalf was surprised by the difference in her in comparison to how she normally was. She looked the same, but held a different confidence and because of that looked somehow different. Somehow… like her mother.

After slashing through countless uruks, the people of Rohan, Til’Arin, and the Elves began to cheer victoriously as their enemies retreated. “Yes! Flee you cowards! Crawl back into the holes you came from; filthy creatures!” A Til’Arin woman nearly screamed. Triina looked around for Legolas and Aragorn as the crowd returned to Helms Deep to celebrate, but they were nowhere in sight.

“Stay out of the forest! Keep away from the trees!” Èomer ordered when several Til’Arin tried to chase after the uruk-hai. Triina turned around just in time to see the last of the uruks disappear into the woods. The trees began to sway and horrifying sounds echoed through the air. Triina cringed but turned away, knowing that whatever ends the uruk-hai met they would have been a fitting one.

“My Lady, Théoden King and Lord Aragorn are searching for you.” One of Èomer’s men said as she neared him. “Where are they, do you know?” she questioned. “Just past the gates, helping to clear the uruk bodies.” He answered. “Thank you.” She nodded and quickly made her way to where she was directed.

She entered the gates, but saw no familiar faces. As she walked through the stronghold, taking in all the damage war had done, she came upon a group of Til’Arin who were encasing something in a thick block of crystal ice. “My Lady, you should turn back. The elf walked that way only moments ago, he is desperately searching for you; he thinks you may be dead. You should go to him.” One of the women said to her, quickly trying to turn her away but she ignored her efforts and walked up to the sorrowful group before her.

No words were spoken as she gazed upon the figure that lay inside the icy coffin. Her hair was matted with blood, her clothes torn, and her face bruised and pale, but Sillis Arrine looked as beautiful in death as she ever had in life. She could no longer block out the emotions around her as her own came crashing down upon her. Until then she had held hope that her mother somehow survived, and would be waiting for her within the keep, smiling and celebrating their victory. But now she had seen it with her own eyes; Sillis Arrine had been slain.

Tears ran down her face as she knelt over the crystallized casket. “My Lady… I’m sorry.” One of her men said softly before walking away from her. “She left these for you, using her last strength to encase them in ice to keep the uruks from taking them. We haven’t dared touch them, Sillis Triina, they are still frozen to the ground where she put them before her passing.” Another announced, bringing her attention to the block of ice that sat a short way from her mother, holding both Raging River Blades sheathed and protected. “Thank you.” She whispered through her near-silent sobbing.

The Til’Arin man who left Triina to her mourning walked through Helms Deep on a self-given mission to find Legolas and bring him to her. He knew that his new queen needed comfort that her people were unable to offer; but Legolas had the power to offer such comfort. He found him talking with Gimli about their total number of kills and walked up to him just as he fired an arrow into a twitching uruk.

“Forty-three.” He smiled. “He was already dead!” the dwarf retorted.

“He was twitching.”

“He was twitching, because he’s got my axe embedded in his nervous-system!” Gimli shouted, wiggling his axe and making a point with the way that the uruk body convulsed.

“Excuse me, My Lords, I do not mean to interrupt, but Lady Triina-”

“Where is she? What’s happened, is she all right?” Gimli demanded, interrupting the already-nervous Til’Arin soldier. “It is difficult to say… you must go to her, she is in need of your care; myself and my fellow Til’Arin have not the ability to ease her pain.” He answered. “Take us to her,” Legolas ordered, and quickly followed him to where several others were gathered.

“She’s crying for the Ice-Lady.” Aasta announced as he passed her. “Come along Aasta, leave her be.” Astrid sighed and tried to pull her child along while carrying her brother, but the young girl refused to move.

“Lass,” Gimli sighed once he and Legolas pushed their way to her side. “I c-couldn’t say goodbye.” She choked, still struggling with her tears. She wanted to be strong for her people, and for the others around her, but she just couldn’t; her sorrow was too great. “I couldn’t t-tell her I love her… I never told her.” She sobbed before falling over the block of ice, ignoring the cold against her skin and the water seeping through her clothes. “She already knew, Triina. She knew because she could feel it.” Legolas soothed, kneeling beside her and putting his arms over her as she cried.

“Legolas,”

“Shh now, I’m right here; I will always be right here, my love.”

Those words only made her sobbing stronger as she turned to hold him, instead of the icy casket of Sillis Arrine.

“Sillis Triina, she is still here. All the ghosts of our people remained here to see out the battle. None have gone to the Waiting Halls yet. Nor have the elves. Both wait for Lelir and I to guide them. I can let them be seen, if you would like. Even the Rohirrim stand amongst the people here, trying to tend to their loved ones, but I cannot help them show themselves without the permission of Théoden King.” Eevalin announced as she appeared beside them.

“Please… I w-want to see her,” she answered, though she was terrified to see her mother as a ghost. “And what is your answer, Théoden King?” Eevalin questioned. “Give my people a chance to bid farewell.” He nodded.

With that Eevalin closed her eyes and held her arms up, speaking a soft incantation in the most ancient of tongues, the Language of the Spirits. In wispy forms the dead appeared standing along the walls, beside their families, at the gates, and beside their bodies. Sillis Arrine appeared at the head of her casket, smiling to her daughter. “It is not natural for the ghosts to bid farewell in person this way, but I see that nothing about this war is truly natural.” She announced as Triina began sobbing again. “I wish terribly I could hold you once more, my beautiful Triina, but I cannot and for that I am sorry. But it does please me to see that there is someone here to do that for me, Legolas.” She laughed as emotions raged around them, and the living cried their last good-byes to the dead.

“We haven’t much time, Sillis Arrine.” Eevalin reminded. “Yes, yes, I know,” she sighed with a hint of anger, “Triina… my beloved Triina… I had always dreamt of this day, when you would take my place as queen. Though I never thought I would watch from atop my own casket.

“You have brought honor back to our people. Gone out and re-forged alliances with races who thought us to be myths, and fairytales. You led us to battle, and then to victory in full command of our forces. Never doubt your worth as Queen. Do you understand me?”

Triina was unable to speak.

“Do you understand me, Sillis Triina?”

“Y-yes mother,” she sobbed as Legolas tightened his grip on her.

“Stand up. I will not announce you as you sit in your own tears; you are stronger than that, my child. And though you have little strength in you at this moment, the elf at your side offers you all he can give.” She smiled, and Legolas took the hint to help her to her feet.

“My people, the Til’Arin, you have followed me for many years, and to my death,” she announced as an eerie silence fell over all of Helms Deep. “The time has come for me to leave you, but in my place will stand an heir stronger than any we have seen since the Second Family, since our last part in war. Now that my time as Queen has ended, it brings me great joy to announce your new leader. Sillis Triina, Queen of Til’Arin!”

Arrine motioned for Triina to turn around. When she did, she was in pure shock. Every Til’Arin soldier had knelt down with their swords crossed before them, the Rohirrim bowed, the Elves stood with their arms over their chests in salute, and what shocked her most, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas were all knelt only feet before her, while Théoden stood beside bowing. And they were all kneeling, saluting, and bowing before her.

“Farewell, my daughter. Be strong.” Arrine whispered. Triina spun around and a whole new wave of sobs took her as she saw Eevalin, Arrine, and all the other ghosts were gone. “Go, My Lady, you should rest; you have been through much this day.” A Til’Arin woman sighed, “We will not depart without your order. Until then what will you have us do?”

“Help clear the uruk corpses, and tend to the bodies of the fallen from all peoples who fought here alongside us.” She answered and followed as Legolas led her away so that she could rest. She cried herself to sleep, mourning her mother but feeling better that she was able to see a different end than Aragorn dragging her away while her mother is slaughtered by uruk-hai. The entire time he held her, Legolas sang softly in elfish, offering his love all the strength he held, to help her recover her own.