Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Friends Found

The new Til’Arin queen very little after the battle that took her mother. Her mind was racing with many thoughts, and keeping her awake. Not only did her thoughts chase away any sleep that called to her, but the emotions of those around her also stood guard, forcing her to lay awake beside her elfin love.

Aragorn, who now sat across the room from her as she and Legolas sat in silence, had brought the Raging River blades to her and placed them beside her own Ice Blades. Gimli moments later brought her a small bouquet of three white, and two light blue flowers that a group of Rohirric children put together for her as a gift. He now sat across the room from them as well, beside Aragorn.

Suddenly she stood up and began to pace the small room. “What is it?” Legolas questioned. “They will want me to ride with them. To return to Til’Arin the new queen, and continue the changes that have been made.” She answered in a whisper, “But I cannot; I have prior dedications to see through. A good queen would ride with her people to a frightened city, and tend to her mourning people, but I cannot.”

“And what prior dedications stand above your people, Triina?” Gimli asked out of simple curiosity.

“My duty to the Fellowship, to Frodo, my promise to Lord Elrond, honoring Lyle’s dying wishes… a promise to myself,” her last dedication was nearly silent and hardly heard as her eyes fell upon Legolas. “And what was this promise?” he asked as he stood and walked to stand less than a foot from her, taking her hands in his.

“That I would no longer fear love, or pain from it. That I would stay with you, and never turn away from you again.”

“Ah, Aragorn, I believe our stay with the lovers has come to an end.” Gimli announced as they embraced. “Yes, Gimli, I think our time here has been spent.” He smiled and followed the dwarf out, giving Triina and Legolas some time alone.

As he held her, Triina began to cry again. She no longer cared if Aragorn, Gimli, Gandalf, or especially Legolas saw her cry. “Shh, Triina. There is no need to cry, my love.” He whispered, tightening his arms around her and bringing her body closer to his own. “I can’t do this, Legolas. I cannot live up to her expectations. How can I lead them if I ride with you instead?” she cried. “You will find a way.” He assured and kissed her head softly.

She tilted her head up and kissed him lightly, lingering on his lips a short while before pulling away. “Thank you,” she smiled, though it was a small smile and hardly reached her eyes. “You’re welcome, though I’m not sure what I have done to deserve your thanks.” He answered with a smile of his own. “I honestly don’t know what I would do without you, or how I ever survived before you came into my life, Legolas.” She laughed weakly, keeping her eyes connected with his.

“We should go. Théoden King would have had us ride out long ago, but Gandalf convinced him to give you time to rest. I believe we have kept them waiting long enough.” He sighed, forcing himself to break away from her and move to the door.

“You should not have let him. I still have to tend to my men and women yet! Legolas I can’t leave until-”

“Yes I know, Triina. There will be time enough for that, we will make sure of it. Come to the hall when you’re ready, I have to speak with Aragorn about something.” He interrupted with a smile, and left her to ready herself.

She wasted no time changing into the new Til’Arin clothes that had been left for her. These clothes were very different from her leathers she had been wearing since her departure from her father’s kingdom. The leggings were made of a soft but durable cloth, spun with Ice Threads to make them nearly as strong as chain mail. Unlike the usual light blues, whites, greens, and other water-oriented colors that were traditional to such garb, they were a deep blue like the depths of the ocean. They fit much loser than her leathers, but were still snug, and embellished with silver traditional Til’Arin designs down the sides of the legs, symbolizing water on the right leg, and ice on the left. Her shirt was silver and made of the same material as her leggings, around the top of the neckline, which came half way up her neck, was blue embroidering to match her leggings. It was sleeveless, and fit very close to her body, showing off her feminine form more than her old clothes. Over that was a traditional coat that was almost like a cloak. It matched her leggings in color, and again made of the same armor material. The sleeves were long and tight without restricting her movement and had one silver clasp in the middle of her torso. It was long in length, nearly touching the floor, and had a hood that when pulled up would cover her face from the bridge of her nose up. Around the hems of the coat were the same silver decorations as the leggings. Her sleeves, hood, bottom and edges along the front seemed to glisten in contrast to the deep blue.

Her boots had also been replaced with knee-high black boots, which held six small daggers each, arming her with twelve blades from her boots alone. On each hip sat her Ice Blades. She took her hair down and re-created its neat braid, twisting dark ribbons into it to decorate her brightly colored hair to match her mourning clothes, and took in her appearance in the only mirror that stood in the room. She truly did look like the Til’Arin queen she was supposed to be, and it frightened her how much she looked like her mother in the clothes that were so similar to the ones she fought in, but she had other things to worry about. With a heavy sigh she walked from the mirror and opened the door.

“Legolas!” she gasped, startled by the elf standing now only inches from her. “I thought it would be wise to guard the door while you changed. Forgive me, I didn’t mean to frighten you.” He replied quickly. “There’s nothing to forgive… I just wasn’t expecting to see you there.” She laughed.

“Well then, we should make our way to the stables; the others are waiting. Shall I lead the way? The last time we were in this position you walked the opposite direction to the hall we were meant to go to.”

“Considering the fact I have no idea where the stables are, I think that is a good idea.”

Legolas nodded and offered his arm for her, leading her away as soon as she took it.

“Ah, they’ve decided to join us!” Gandalf smiled as they neared the stables. “Lass, you look like a right Queen.” Gimli nodded approvingly after taking in her appearance. “Looks can be deceiving.” She sighed while tending to Vesi. “Have confidence in yourself, Sillis Triina. You have every aspect of a good queen, I have seen it.” Théoden said, patting her shoulder before mounting his own horse.

“Forgive me, but there are some things I must do before I can ride out with you. I don’t ask you to wait for me, I can follow your trail and catch up with you; Vesi is a very fast horse.” She announced. “Nonsense, even if we wanted to ride out without you, we cannot. Legolas would stay behind with you, Aragorn would stay to help you with anything you may need assistance with, Gimli would also refuse a friend in need, and so half of our group would be staying here.” Gandalf smiled as Èomer and Théoden nodded, and Aragorn smiled. “The wizard has a point, now go do queenly things, My Lady.” Gimli nodded. She laughed lightly and mounted Vesi, and rode out to meet her people by the gates.

None of them, except Triina, could believe how few Til’Arin stood before them. Out of the few hundred who first stood along the walls of Helms Deep, only just over fifty remained to stand now. All of them bowed their heads to their new queen as she dismounted and stood before them, struggling for words until she made eye contact with the confident elf who stood not six feet beside her.

“I cannot fully express how proud I am to stand before you this day, though I greatly wish it could be under different circumstances.” She began finally. “Never before have I held such pride in our people. Though we have suffered a great loss to our people, the men and women who have died here in this battle will never be forgotten. The events of that night will never be forgotten.

“This is a new day, my friends, and the beginning of a new era for our people! Our time as a passive race has come to and end, and the time to fight for true peace as come. I will ask for no more sacrifices from you, all I ask is that you travel home and set in motion there what you have helped to start here. Reform our defenses, and tell the stories of your fallen fellows, for I am unable to go myself until my duties here are finished.”

Gandalf watched with a proud smile as she addressed her people. Théoden nodded approvingly, noting the confidence in her position that she dared to say she lacked. “She has come a long way, since Rivendell.” Gimli muttered to Aragorn as the crowd of Til’Arin erupted into cheers as her speech turned to empowerment to what was left of her forces. “We all have, Gimli.” He smiled.

“My Lady, as you took your rest we all spoke to one another, and with the highest respect I ask that you not send us home to Til’Arin.” One of her men announced as the cheers died down. “You want to stay?” she asked in surprise. “Yes, my Queen. It was Eira’s idea that brought us to this decision, perhaps she should be the one to explain it.” He answered. “Eira,” she called out, looking for the woman he had spoken of. A very thin, but confident purple haired woman stepped forward and bowed respectfully before speaking.

“Sillis Triina, as you have just announced a new era has begun for our people. This ‘Time of Peace’ has been wrongly named. We have lived in Times of Cowardice!” she announced, and several Til’Arin voiced their agreement, “We have lived our entire lives behind the Til’Arin city walls hiding from the world outside, a world in need of our help. To return to our city would do little good. Our defenses have already been reformed, the banners already hung, torches lit, and pools revived. We have already set the changes in motion there, and the wheels will continue to turn until it is restored to the way it was in the times of the First King, and Second Family! When the Great Leaders wielded the Three Sets of the Twin Blades on the frontlines of battle!

“Let us stay, My Lady. There are fifty-seven of us who still stand to assist Théoden King’s men in the fight! And fight we will, with every breath in our bodies, we will fight. For peace, and to avenge the innocent lives that have been stolen from this world by our enemy’s hand.”

Triina looked past Eira and to the determined Til’Arin behind her. “You would stand and fight here when the time comes, facing foes far worse than what we have seen here?” she asked and received a roar of answers from her people. “Then by all means do so! What sort of leader would I be to turn my own forces away from helping our allies?” she beamed. Once again a roar of cheers filled the air, and this time it wasn’t only the Til’Arin, Théoden and his men also joined the cheers, as well as Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.

“Ride well, Sillis Triina!” one of her men called out as she rode through the gates of Helms Deep with Aragorn, Èomer, Legolas, Gimli, King Théoden, and Gandalf. “Thank you for lending me your strength, Legolas. I could not have spoken before my people without it.” She smiled as they rode side by side. Nearly everyone in the group looked back at her in shock, awe, or both. “She’s been keeping secrets from us!” Gimli announced with a laugh. “Secrets? I don’t think I’ve been keeping any secrets from any of you.” She replied defensively.

“Triina, do you know what you’ve just said?” Gandalf asked calmly. “I thanked Legolas for lending me his strength when I was struggling to address my people.” She answered awkwardly. “In elfish.” Aragorn smiled.

“I’m sorry?”

“You just spoke in elfish.”

“Perfectly.” Legolas added happily. “But I don’t know how to speak elfish, even through all the times Lord Elrond has tried to teach me, I haven’t been able to learn the language of the elves.” She replied quickly. “Perhaps he simply wasn’t the right teacher.” Èomer smirked, amused by her confusion. “Eevalin didn’t know elfish either, until she and Lelir fell in love. After that the language began to come naturally to her. By the time we met she was nearly fluent. It is part of being Til’Arin to know the language of one’s love. However that goes little-known because they so seldom marry outside their own race.” Gandalf explained. “Strange,” Théoden muttered. “Ah, the Til’Arin are very strange people, Théoden King.” He chuckled and pushed Shadowfax, his horse, to a gallop.

As they rode through the woods Triina discovered that she also could feel the emotions of the forest, and these emotions were far stronger than she had ever felt before. She made a small noise of discomfort and nudged Vesi to walk faster so that they weren’t left behind. “What is it, lass?” Gimli asked as she slowed her pace to walk beside him and Legolas. “Trees… I’m feeling the emotions of the trees.” She hissed through semi-clenched teeth. “Is that normal for Til’Arin, Gandalf?” Legolas question. “Hm? Oh, yes, on occasion it is.” He answered. “What he means is, pure blooded noble families, the powerful ones, often feel the emotions of the earth. But I am not pure blooded! I’m a half breed!” she explained. “Yes, but your family is very powerful, therefore you have the same abilities of any pure blooded noble, Sillis Triina, Queen.” Gandalf replied and continued his ride in silence.

As they reached the edge of the forest Isengard came into view, but it wasn’t frightening as she thought it would be. In fact, Isengard gave a great comfort to her, because with the view of the tower, also came a very welcome sound, the laughter of two young hobbits.

“Merry, Pippin!” she gasped, and pushed her horse forward, leading the others through the broken gates of Isengard. As soon as they were in the hobbits’ view, Merry stood up on the ledge they were sitting on, raising his arms high above his head. “Welcome my Lords… and Lady, to Isengard!” he announced. Aragorn laughed quietly but Triina was unable to be so reserved. In one swift movement she leapt from her horse and ran to the hobbits, who just as quickly jumped from their post and hugged their emotional friend.

“I can’t tell you how good it is too see you two again!” she breathed as she hugged them tighter before letting go and turning to face the other riders. “You little rascals! A merry chase you’ve led us on, and now we find you here feasting and… and smoking!” Gimli shouted, though just as pleased to see them as Triina was. “We are sitting on the field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good.” Pippin announced, obviously mildly inebriated. “Salted pork?” he asked with a laugh.

“Triina, what kind of horse is that?” Merry asked, suddenly taking notice of the gray horse, with emerald tail and mane, and hoofs. “Til’Arin, of course.” Gandalf answered as they walked back to the other riders. Triina mounted Vesi, and pulled Pippin up with her as Merry was lifted onto the back of Aragorn’s, and together they rode through the floodwaters to Orthanc, the tower of Isengard.

“Young master Gandalf, I am glad to see you’ve come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a wizard to manage here, locked in his tower.” A large tree creature announced as they approached. Triina could feel the great tension surrounding the tower, and strongly feel the emotions of the Ent, for Ent emotions were stronger than that of a Man, Elf, Dwarf, Til’Arin, or Hobbit. “Show yourself!” Aragorn demanded. “Careful, Aragorn. Even in this defeat, I can still sense he’s powerful.” She warned, though unable to tell if what she was feeling was Saruman’s power, or his emotions. “Then let’s just have his head and be done with it!” Gimli spat replied simply. “No, we need him alive. We need him to talk.” Gandalf announced.

“You have fought many wars and slain many men Théoden king, and made peace afterwards. Can we not take council together, as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?” another wizard with white robes, long white hair and beard, and staff called down form the top of the tower. Triina felt Gandalf made a much better White Wizard than this shadow-minded fool.

“We shall have peace,” Théoden King replied softly, nudging his horse to step forward slightly, “We shall have peace… when you answer for the burning of the westfold, and the children that lie dead there. We shall have peace, when the lives of the soldiers, whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg, are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows… we shall have peace!” he shouted, letting his anger toward the wizard show behind no veil.

“Gibbets and crows? Dotard!” he spat before turning his attention to Gandalf. “What do you want Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess: the key of Orthanc, or perhaps the key of Barad-dûr itself, along with the Crowns of the Seven Kings and the Rods of the Five Wizards!” he shouted angrily. “Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk, but you could save them Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's council.” He answered calmly.

Saruman smirked, realizing he had something of value to bargain with. “You have come for information. I have some for you.” He smiled and pulled a dark but glowing orb from his robes, staring into it deeply. Triina felt something that wasn’t emotions. The water around the flooded tower was stirring, disapproving of the orb’s use.

“Triina, are you all right?” Pippin asked worriedly after noticing the change in her. Èomer was beside her and turned to see what was causing Pippin’s concerned questioning. He couldn’t help but stare at what he saw. Triina was slightly hunched over, staring into the water with glowing ice-blue eyes, and Vesi’s emerald eyes were glowing as well. “I’m all right, Pip. The water has very little tolerance of that orb… whatever it is.” She answered, sitting upright and returning her eyes to normal. “The water?” Èomer questioned quietly as Gandalf and Saruman continued to speak. “As a Til’Arin I have the ability to understand the waters, and recently developed the ability to communicate with them slightly. I was only asking them to be calm and trust us, and also apologizing for riding our horses through them.” She answered. Èomer and Pippin looked down at the water quickly and awkwardly. “Uhm… sorry, water,” Pippin murmured.

“You cannot think that this Ranger will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor. This exile, crept from the shadows, will never be crowned king! Nor can you think this woman and her so-called army can offer any assistance! The Til’Arin city will fall just as Gondor, and all kingdoms of Men will fall!” Saruman announced, catching Triina’s attention once more. “Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those closest to him, those he professes to love. Tell me… what words of comfort did you give the halfling before you sent him to his doom?” he asked. Gandalf only replied with a sigh. “The path you’ve sent him on can only lead to death.” Saruman announced coldly. Triina couldn’t bear her frustration at the fact she was letting him get to her. She could tell because the angry waters around her were beginning to freeze. With a quick apology to them, she restored them to their normal temperature and continued to glare at the wizard atop the tower.

“I’ve heard enough!” Gimli announced, turning to Legolas, “Shoot him, stick an arrow in his gob!”

Legolas reached for his bow but was stopped by Gandalf. Triina sighed, she was actually hoping Legolas would shoot him. “Come down Saruman, and your life will be spared.” He announced to the other wizard. “Save your pity and mercy, I have no use for it!” he spat, and sent a fireball from his staff to engulf Gandalf.

Vesi reared up, sending both his riders falling into the water, and ran away from Isengard, into the forest. “Are you all right?” Èomer asked quickly as Legolas sat on his horse, obviously debating whether or not he should dismount and go to Triina’s side. “I am. Triina?” Pippin nodded. She was on her knees, up to her shoulders in the water sputtering and coughing, but unable to take her eyes off of Gandalf as the fire faded away; she was terrified she was going to be watching him die for the second time.

To everyone’s surprise, Gandalf and Shadowfax were both unscathed. “Saruman, your staff is broken.” Gandalf announced as it shattered in his hands. Triina was finally able to draw a proper breath and after taking King Théoden’s extended hand, pulled herself to her feet. Both she and the King looked up just as Gríma walked up behind Saruman.

“Gríma, you need not follow him. You were not always as you are now; you were once a man of Rohan! Come down.” Théoden called up. “A man of Rohan? What is the house of Rohan but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and rats roll on the floor with the dogs? Victory at helms deep does not belong to you, Théoden, horsemaster! You are a lesser son of greater sires!” Saruman retorted as Gríma bowed to Théoden King. “Gríma, come down, be free of him!” Théoden pleaded, ignoring the wizard completely. “Free? He will never be free.” Saruman scoffed. “No.” Gríma protested. “Get down, Cur!” Saruman spat, and hit Gríma, sending him falling to the floor and out of Triina’s sight.

“Saruman, you were deep in the enemy’s council. Tell us what you know.” Gandalf pushed calmly. “You withdraw your guard, and I will tell you where your doom will be decided. I will not be held prisoner here.” He announced, but before anyone could reply to him Gríma leapt up and stabbed him twice. Legolas acted quickly and shot him, delivering a shot that Triina knew was fatal, but it was too late. Saruman fell from his tower and landed on a spiked wheel. Triina cringed as the impaled wizard caused the wheel to turn, submerging his body fully in the water.

“The filth of Saruman is washing away. Trees will come back to live here. Young trees, wild trees.” The Ent said, fully pleased with the day’s events as Pippin noticed something glowing in the water and darted over to pick it up. “Pippin!” Aragorn called after him, but was ignored as the little hobbit continued about his task, pulling form the water the glowing orb Saruman had held. “Bless my bark!” the Ent gasped. “Peregrin Took, I'll take that, my lad. Quickly now.” Gandalf pushed, but he was reluctant to hand it over. “Pip, give it to Gandalf.” Triina ordered and as if broken from a daze he slowly passed the orb to the wizard and walked back to her side.

“We now have two horseless riders. The question now is whom will be riding with whom.” Gimli announced. “No, you never abandon a Til’Arin horse. They become attached to their riders, and that bond is very hard broken, often only after death when the horse becomes wild again until another rider tames him.” Triina protested. “The horse ran from here after knocking the two of you from his back, I would say the bond has been broken.” Èomer replied. “Til’Arin is a city based on water. Very few times are fires lit, as the air is very thick with moisture from the rain and mist from the falls. Vesi has probably never seen fire in his entire existence; he was frightened by the flames.” She explained. “There is nothing to be done, Triina; we cannot waste our time searching the woods for a runaway steed.” King Théoden sighed. “Then take Pippin and ride without me. I will not leave Vesi to wander back here, and wonder why he has been abandoned. All Til’Arin creatures can feel heartbreak from such an action, Théoden King, even horses.” She stated firmly, making it clear she was not going to be leaving her four-legged friend behind.

“How do you call your steed?” he asked, refusing to leave her as much as any of the other riders around them. “I don’t.” she answered simply. “You must have a way of calling him.” Legolas replied with the most curious expression. “I never learned the Til’Arin way of calling a horse… I was raised by my father, remember?” she sighed. “Ah, you simply call his name Triina.” Gandalf nodded.

She looked at him skeptically but did as he instructed but nothing happened. She turned back to him but upon noticing his expression gave a heavy sigh and shook her head. “You tricky old man, speaking in riddles you know I wouldn’t guess right off. Vesi is water. I call through the water, don’t I?” she asked. He smiled and nodded and she once again let her eyes glow as she called the name of her stallion.

Although she called out with great volume, her voice sounded like a whisper and seemed to have an echo of many whispers repeating “Vesi”. Suddenly out of the woods her unique steed galloped towards her, splashing through the water as he stopped in front of her. “Don’t fear fire, Vesi; I promise you there will be more flames where we are headed.” She sighed as she mounted and pulled Pippin up behind her. No more words were spoken as the Fellowship rode behind King Théoden and Èomer to Edoras; no words in the common tongue at least. Triina and Legolas exchanged a few elfish words, but were silenced by Aragorn jokingly requesting that they speak in a language everyone could understand so at least then he would have someone to share the embarrassment of overhearing their conversation.