Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Betrothal

Triina and Legolas sat together at a table of Til’Arin in Théoden’s hall at Edoras, celebrating the victory at Helms Deep. “There is something I have been meaning to return to you,” Legolas announced with a fond smile as he turned to her. “Oh?” she smiled. “The woman whose children you saved gave this to me when she announced that you had leapt over the walls of Helms Deep.” He nodded, handing her arrowhead to her, only now it was tied to an elfish cord. “Thank you, I was worried it had been lost in the battle.” She breathed, quickly putting it around her neck and resting her forehead against his.

“My Lady, they are standing, should we do the same?” one of her men asked awkwardly. Triina looked up to see King Théoden preparing to address the crowd. “Yes,” she nodded and joined the others in their display of respect.

“Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!” he announced, lifting his cup proudly. “Hail!” the crowd cheered and mimicked his actions, except for the Til’Arin. “The victorious dead? What victory is in death? To be torn from the ones you hold dear, leaving them in pain and grief as you watch distantly from the Waiting Halls?” one of her men asked harshly. “It is a different culture, Aro, have respect. To them the dead are victorious, and greatly honored. I will not have one of my men or women disrespecting Théoden King, or his people.” She explained sternly. “My apologies, Sillis Triina. I will hold my tongue, though I still greatly disagree with their views of death.” He spat. She shot him a very strict look, and he sat quietly before she left with Legolas close behind her.

Later in the evening she, Legolas, and Gimli were gathered with a group of Èomer’s men. “No pauses, no spills.” Èomer instructed as mugs of ale were set out for the three of them. “And no regurgitation!” Gimli added. “So it’s a drinking game?” Legolas asked as he took his mug. “Yes, and the last left standing wins.” Triina grinned as several Til’Arin joined their group. “My Lady, you should remove your coat.” One of her woman suggested. Triina nodded and removed her coat, leaving her to drink in her sleeveless, silver shirt that shocked even Legolas by how womanly she looked without the coat. “Shall we?” she asked with a smile. “What shall we drink to?” one of Èomer’s men asked. “To Victory!” the woman holding Triina’s coat answered enthusiastically. “To Victory!” the men echoed with equal strength as the three Fellowship members took their first drinks.

Legolas took a cautious sip, as Gimli drained his mug mercilessly, and Triina, to everyone’s surprised copied him. “What, did you not expect a woman to drink so easily? I learned from the best.” She chuckled while taking another drink. “Who taught you?” Èomer inquired. “A dear friend, Lyle.” She smiled sadly, “To you, my friend. My brother.” She nodded quietly before draining that one as well and reaching for a third, putting her tied with Gimli, and one ahead of Legolas.

The celebration went on, and several mugs had come and gone. Now Triina was swaying where she stood, and Gimli was laughing like a mad-dwarf. “Here, here! It’s the dwarfs that go swimming with little hairy women!” he announced with a hearty laugh before draining yet another mug of ale. “I feel something,” Legolas announced worriedly, “A slight tingling in my fingers… I think it’s affecting me.” He explained quickly while examining his fingers. “Yes, Legolas, it is called intoxication, and it happens when you drink ale and Til’Arin wine.” Triina giggled as she finished her mug and gladly accepted another.

“What did I say? He can’t hold his liquor!” Gimli announced from behind his pile of mugs, and then passed out with a heavy thud as he hit the floor. “And neither can you!” she squeaked through her own laughter.

The game continued for another seven or eight mugs on Triina’s part before she stumbled and fell. Legolas caught her gracefully and tried not to laugh as she looked into his eyes. “I believe the rules were the last contestant standing is the winner?” he asked with a smile. “Yes, they are.” Èomer chuckled. “I win.” He stated smugly. “My feet are still on the ground, Elf, this game may yet continue!” she argued. “If I released my grip on you, my love, you would surely fall to the ground.” He laughed and pulled her to a proper standing position.

“I believe you should have some water, My Lady.” The woman who held her coat announced. “And I believe you… are, right.” She slurred while struggling to remain conscious. Legolas sighed and took her coat from the woman, and guided Triina to a place for her to sit. “Don’t move. I will return with some water for you. Wear your coat, Triina, you’re colder than you should be.” He ordered. “Of course she is, she has been drinking. Our bodies see the intoxication as an injury that needs healing. After she drinks enough water, she will be just fine and probably ready to drink more ale.” A Til’Arin scout explained. Legolas nodded and hurried away to find some water.

When he returned, Triina was on the ground, in the arms of one of Théoden’s men while Aragorn knelt over her struggling not to laugh. “What happened?” he asked quickly, spilling some of the water as he rushed to her side. “She tried to dance with Merry and Pippin, and fell. Thankfully she didn’t join in their dance on the table earlier.” Aragorn answered with a wide smile, “If you had only been a moment quicker, Legolas, you could have seen it yourself.”

“I told you not to move,” he sighed while handing her the mug of water. “I have no excuses or regrets.” She laughed and quickly drank the liquid. Legolas and Aragorn helped her to her feet and steadied her while she struggled to regain her balance but the end result was her passing out and being carried to the room she had stayed in before their trip to Helms Deep by Legolas.

“Legolas,” She murmured as he carefully pulled the blanket over her after setting her in the bed. “I’m here, what is it?” he answered softly. “I miss her,” she whimpered as a few rears ran from her eyes, “I hardly know her, but still I miss her.”

“Shh, she hasn’t left you, Triina. She is watching now from the Waiting Halls, just as she promised she would.” He consoled, kneeling down beside her and gently wiping her tears away. “I don’t like drinking this much ale. It makes my vision blurry and my sadness stronger, and I can’t block emotions from anyone. Not you, not Aragorn, Théoden King, Èomer, Èowyn, Gimli… not even myself.” she whispered while he lightly rubbed his hand over her arm.

“And what do you feel from me?”

“More than anything, love. Love and worry… joy, amusement, you think this is funny.”

“Not at all, my love.” He chuckled and kissed her forehead.

“I love the way your eyes shine when you laugh. It makes me want to laugh with you.” She smiled. “Then laugh, what is stopping you?” he questioned. “The maddening throbbing of my head.” She sighed.

“Would you like some more water?”

“I’ll get it myself, you don’t have to tend to my every need.”

“But I do, because I want to.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you more than anything else, and I would do anything to see you well.” He smiled and kissed her quickly before leaving for more water.

“No Til’Arin has ever had that much to drink.” Eevalin chuckled as she appeared in the corner of the room. Triina jumped and let out a short scream from being startled. “We are not going to hurt you.” Lelir chuckled as he appeared beside his love. “We were sent to check on you.” She smiled. “This war is affecting all things, including the sprit realms. Sauron’s darkness is clouding the windows of the Waiting Halls, and Lyle and your Mother are unable to see you now.” Lelir explained as her door burst open and Aragorn came through with his sword drawn.

“Merry said he heard you screaming.” He said worriedly. “Yes, we are to blame for that. We startled her.” Eevalin explained as she walked through the door that would have crushed any living being with the way it hit the wall she and Lelir were standing by. “You are safe, then?” he asked with a grin. “Yes, and tell Merry that I am sorry for scaring him.” Triina sighed as Legolas and a few of Théoden and Èomer’s men came rushing to her room as well.

One of the men didn’t see Lelir until it was too late, and he had ran through him. The man turned white and fainted. “We are not ghosts you should fear.” Eevalin smiled kindly while Lelir chuckled and watched the man regain his consciousness. “You are the ghosts from Helms Deep, the ones who came with Gandalf the White.” Another of the men breathed. “Yes, we are. Though I believe we are closer described as protectors.” She nodded.

“Why have you come?” Legolas asked, curiously as he sat beside Triina, giving her the water she needed. “To check in on Triina for her mother. Sauron’s shadows are covering the windows in the Waiting Halls. Many can no longer see their loved ones, and as a mother Sillis Arrine is becoming quite demanding for any news of your progress.” Lelir answered. “She expects you both to survive and give her grandchildren.” Eevalin added, laughing at the looks that crossed both his and Triina’s faces. “I never thought about children,” she muttered honestly. “Neither of you have paid much thought to that part of your future; but you will after the war, when you are together in peace instead of danger.” She nodded.

“If we are no longer needed, we will be taking our leave.” Aragorn announced, giving a gesture of respect to the four of them and ushering the men out with a grin. “We should be going as well, both of us want to see to our people before we return fully to the spirit realms.” Eevalin nodded. Triina and Legolas both offered a respectful farewell as they disappeared.

“Children?” Triina asked with a nervous laugh, “Can you imagine me, a mother?”

“Yes, I can. I have seen you with children before; it comes naturally to you. You will make a wonderful mother.” He smiled. “You’re picturing it, aren’t you?” she laughed. “Yes,” he nodded. “I could tell by the way your eyes lit up. You want them too.” She smiled. “Yes, I do.” he laughed. “And you will make a wonderful father.” She whispered just before their lips touched.

“Does this mean we have decided?” she asked awkwardly when they pulled apart. “I would want to spend the rest of my days at your side, Triina. I’ve known since the day we first met.” He answered. “I want to spend the rest of my life, however long, or short it may be depending on this war, with you.” She smiled. “When shall we have the ceremony?” he asked, his eyes now glittering with happiness. He didn’t need to ask her to marry him, they both knew that they were going to be wedded to one another. “After the war, when it is safe to start a family.” She answered quickly. “Of course,” he nodded and kissed her again. “Come with me, I need some fresh air.” She smiled and tugged him from the bed and out the door so they could make their way through the doors of the hall and to the outside.

“When I collapsed from the ale, I saw my mother. She spoke to me, saying that the window she used to watch over me was being covered.” She sighed as they stood together, hoods up, gazing at the sky. “What else did she say?” he asked, entwining their fingers. “That according to Lyle, you proposed when you gave me the arrowhead. She said he told her you didn’t know what it meant yet, and neither did I.” She laughed. “That is very true, until a few moments ago I had only intentions on asking your hand, but I couldn’t think of how to ask you.” He confided. “Even the simplest, or most unusual ways of asking would have been perfect. I could never refuse you anything.” She smiled honestly as Aragorn came out and stood beside Legolas.

The three of them stood silently for a while before Aragorn turned to face his friends, smiling. “What?” Legolas questioned. “I received news that the two of you will be wed?” he asked lightheartedly. Triina was thankful for her hood, which kept her blush from being visible. “Yes, though we haven’t told anyone. How did you know?” she asked. “Word from a wizard, who heard from some hobbits, who were told by some ghostly friends of yours.” He chuckled. “Lelir and Eevalin told Merry and Pippin?” Legolas asked humorously. “And they have been telling everyone else. From the looks of it, they are more excited than you are.” He nodded, his grin widening as he thought of the two young halflings dashing around the hall telling everyone in their path that their two close friends were going to be married. “If you will excuse me, I suppose I should go speak with Gandalf, and Merry and Pippin if they are still running around.” Triina laughed. They both nodded and she gracefully walked away.

“Congratulations, Lady Triina.” Èomer nodded as soon as she entered the hall. “Thank you,” she laughed as he toasted her before returning to his conversation. “Ah, Lady Triina, congratulations on your betrothal.” King Théoden smiled as soon as he noticed her within earshot. “Thank you, Théoden King.” She smiled, blushing slightly. “May I ask when you plan to be wed?” he inquired, starting simple conversation with her as one of the men brought her a mug of ale, which she drank very slowly. “After the war. Neither of us sees it fit to begin a family during such dangerous times, especially if we are both fighting at the frontlines.” She answered. “A wise decision. War is no place for a child.” He nodded solemnly, “But I have seen the way you handle the children of my people, even when they feared you to be an assassin of Sauron, and from that I can see that you will make a very fit mother.” He smiled. “Thank you, when that day comes I hope to be prepared.” She laughed and said her farewells before continuing her search for Gandalf.

She found him sitting in a corner, smoking his pipe, and watching the celebration. “Ah, Triina, this night is full of celebration, isn’t it?” he beamed. “Yes, Gandalf, it is. I never thought this day would come, though I guess I have known for a long time now, I never gave it any thought that one day Legolas and I would be betrothed.” She smiled, joining him with her still half-full mug of ale. “I see you have decided to drink slower now?” he asked jokingly. “I can only handle one embarrassment tonight.” She laughed, “I have something to ask of you, Gandalf.”

“What is it?”

“Although I haven’t spent much time there myself, I have learned a great many things of Til’Arin. Traditions, beliefs, ways in war, history, I may as well have lived there all my life. But now I’m rambling from my nerves,” she sighed nervously, “One of the Til’Arin traditions is the presenting of the bride. The way it is done, is the father walks her to her husband, while another close family member, usually a grandfather, uncle, or brother, walks on her other side and together they give her over to him by guiding her hands into his. Til’Arin weddings are very ceremonial and have many traditions; they’re very different from Elfish weddings.

“I know I want to ask Lord Elrond to act as my father, but I was wondering if you would guide my other hand, and if he refuses my request stand in the Father’s place?”

“It would be an honor, Triina.” He smiled as Merry and Pippin ran up to them. “Congratulations. Triina! I always knew you two would be married someday. Didn’t I Merry?” Pippin beamed. “We both did. I think we’ve known you loved him since before you did.” He nodded, letting his hair bounce with each enthusiastic movement of his head. “I believe we all knew before they did.” Gandalf chuckled. “So are you going to have any kids?” Pippin asked.

“Of course.” She nodded, and the bombardment of questions began.

“How many?”

“I’m not sure… we haven’t given it much thought honestly.”

“What would you name them?”

“I haven’t given that any thought.”

“When are you going to be married?”

“When this war is over.”

“Can we come?”

“Can you come? My friends, I demand your presence!” she laughed and hugged them both as another familiar and excited face came up to them. “Hello Aedán, how are you? I haven’t seen much of you since we sent you with the women and other children during the battle.” She smiled, overjoyed to see that he had survived. “I am well, thank you. I wanted to congratulate you, though I’m sure you have had quite a lot of that. Your betrothal is more the subject of conversation now than our victory.” He laughed. “Oh, that isn’t right; you should be celebrating your accomplishment.” She giggled. “But two of our honored guests are going to be married.” He shrugged, “Your children will be lucky to have a mother and father like you two. The small things you do for them as their mother will mean the most. Trust me.” He smiled and walked away after being called by Èomer.

“His mother neglected him in her struggle to raise his brother. She was also with child and having troubles with her carriage, and since Aedán was such an able lad, he was of less importance in her eyes for care. She did love him, as any mother loves her child, but he often went feeling otherwise.” Gandalf explained. “That’s terrible. I know what it is like to be in that position, though my father never loved me as his child. He at least had that.” She smiled; glad that Aedán’s childhood was at least a little better than hers was.

When night finally came, and most of the Fellowship joined Edoras in sleep, Triina walked outside to where she, Legolas, and Aragorn stood before, to find that they were still there. “The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice.” Legolas announced as she approached them, once again entwining their fingers. “The eye of our enemy is moving.” She nodded with a sigh. They stood together for a moment in silence before Triina felt something darker and stronger than what she felt from the ring. “He is here!” Legolas announced.

Triina ran with Legolas and Aragorn through the dimly lit halls to the room Triina had slept in that had been turned to a communal sleeping chamber for the entire Fellowship. Aragorn was the first one to burst through the door, followed by Legolas and Triina. She had to struggle to remain conscious as she watched Pippin writhing around in pain with the glowing palantír in his hands. Aragorn quickly took it from him and fell to his knees; releasing the orb and letting it roll across the floor before Gandalf covered it with a cloth before tending to Pippin.

Triina was forced to block everything out around her, Pippin, Gandalf, Merry, Gimli, Aragorn, the palantír, even Legolas, to remain conscious. She couldn’t handle their emotions, power, or even their voices at the moment. But that didn’t stop Legolas from pulling her into his arms and comforting her, and eventually singing quietly to her in Elfish. Triina only was able to return to normal when Pippin calmed down and eventually went to sleep.

“Would you be able to face Sauron in battle, Triina, or would you fall and struggle as you have tonight?” Gandalf asked as she remained in Legolas’ worried embrace. “With proper preparation, I believe I could face him. I haven’t had the time to recover myself from Helms Deep.” She nodded. “Pray you take the time now, Sillis Triina; things will only worsen until his defeat.” He sighed. She nodded and gently pulled herself from Legolas’ arms. “Please tell me what has happened when I return, I was unable to follow. I had to block everything out in order to keep from collapsing the same way I had in Moria.” She sighed to Legolas and Aragorn, who nodded sadly as she moved to the farthest, darkest corner or the room, and began to meditate.

“You’re getting stronger.” A voice echoed around her. Her eyes shot open to find that she was in a water filled cave, dimly lit by green torches and glowing shells. “Where am I?” She asked, her voice sounded the same as it had when she called Vesi. “Til’Arin. Just outside it, actually; just under the city, in the Sacred Caves. We wouldn’t expect you to know about these, our waters haven’t seen light in over twelve thousand years. But now times are changing, Sillis Triina.”

“Who are you?”

The voice replied with laughter, accompanied with several other voices. “We are the Ancestors, the Voices, the protectors… we are all that was.”

Triina sighed and walked closer to the water to see a light green fish dart deeper into the water. “I don’t understand! How did I come to be here? Moments ago I was meditating in Edoras, beside Gimli.” She demanded nervously.

“You are, Sillis Triina. You are tied to us now, as all Great Leaders were. Your mother chose to stand in the Waiting Halls to watch over you, instead of joining us after death. Your place here was decided before your birth. The Fifth Daughter of the Sixteenth Family was destined since the Loss of Valor, to restore our people to their true ways.

“You are that daughter, Sillis Triina. And so you are tied to this place and the spirits within it. Now that your bonds have strengthened after your death, your spirit comes here when you meditate. It will also happen in dreams. Any time your sprit leaves your body, you will come here.

“Though something troubles us; you are not supposed to marry the Elf. You were meant to marry within your father’s council, and tie together our kingdoms. Not a binding of Til’Arin and Mirkwood!”

“Then your prophecy is flawed; I would have no other companion. Legolas is the only one I can even fathom spending my life with. I would die before denying him and marrying another.”

“And you very well could get your wish. He was meant to be your protector.”

“And who was I supposed to marry?”

“We cannot give his name; you are meant to find your love yourself.”

“I have found my love! His name is Legolas; he is a prince of Mirkwood, in the woodland realm! And I will have no other!”

“Let us hope then that you know what you are doing. Heed not the wisdom of those who have seen life since before those elves!”

“I sense hatred for their people in your voices. Why?” Triina’s voice was much calmer now.

The light green fish leapt from the water and splashed her enough to soak her clothes. “They will destroy everything we have worked for! Everything you stand for!”

“You are terribly mistaken. I have spent many years in Rivendell, studying under Lord Elrond to learn the ways of my own people. I was unable to learn them in Til’Arin because my mother said it was unsafe for me to stay here. He has shown nothing but kindness and understanding to me, and is more of a father to me than King Radill. Could it be that you have misunderstood your prophecy? That it meant for me to marry Legolas, who attended Lord Elrond’s council, when he is the one I would call Father?”

“Impossible. The writings stated ‘A man of her father’s council, whom she has known for all her life, will marry and unite their kingdoms.’ A Man of your father’s council. Not an Elf!”

“The only man in my father’s council I had known was Lyle, and neither of us would have seen the other in that way. He was my brother, and now stands beside my mother in the Waiting Halls. I admit I do not have the knowledge that you have. I admit that I cannot decipher the prophecies properly. And I admit I have made mistakes in the past. But shouldn’t it be a sign that the only reason I have died was because of heartbreak, from losing Legolas? When Lyle died I was in great pain, but he eased that pain simply by standing beside me.”

The ground shook slightly as an unseen force knocked Triina into the water. “You will die in this war. You will have your wish because you are ignorant to our wisdom! Perhaps when you are taken forever from this elf you will see! In your selfish act, you will kill him as well!” they shouted as she struggled to reach the surface of the water, but something was holding her under.

“Triina!” Aragorn shouted, shaking her from her meditative state. She immediately started coughing up water, gripping his hand with all of her strength. “What happened?” Gimli demanded. “I… d-don’t, know!” she coughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?