Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Mist Over Edoras

The Til’Arin had ridden out at their highest speed before the sun could rise. Sillis Triina stood beside her lover; hands entwined, watching as they departed, sending all of her faith and support to them through the light rain that fell over Edoras that morning. Pippin and Gandalf had been long gone, and now Triina stood in silence by a window watching the last of her soldiers fade into the distance as the early glow of the sun started to peak over the mountains.

“What does the sunrise look like in Mirkwood?” she asked as she leaned her head on his shoulder, indulging in the warmth his embrace gave her. His eyes sparkled as he described every detail to her, remembering perfectly what his home looked like as she tried to picture it in her mind’s eye. She wanted so badly to watch it there with him, and see for herself.

Once again he began singing to her, ending the silence she felt. “Words cannot tell the beauty of your voice.” She smiled in Elvish. He only smiled and continued to sing; holding her closer and imagining the day they could live peacefully together.

“When you sleep, what is it that you dream of?” he questioned softly once his song had ended.

“I dream of many things. Fears, hopes, each dream is dependant on the day before it.”

“Then what did you dream of last night?”

“Our children and life after this war. I saw two beautiful daughters, twins. One with hair like mine, and the other with your golden locks. Both had your pointed ears.” She laughed.

“The night before that?”

“My mother.” She answered sadly.

“And before that?”

“You.”

“The night before?”

“Merry and Pippin.” She laughed, recalling the image of the two of them dancing around Lord Elrond’s study, annoying him to no end, though he still held his affectionate gaze towards the two curious hobbits.

“Legolas, I have a question to ask you. It is very serious, and something that we need to discuss and have planned.”

“Of course, anything, My Love.”

“What would you say if I asked to have our wedding in Til’Arin?”

“I would smile, and picture my family standing beside yours in the frozen lands of the North.” He answered honestly.

“And if I asked to have some Til’Arin traditions in the ceremony?”

“Triina, we can have a fully Til’Arin ceremony, in the heart of your city, during an ice storm if you wanted. As long as I have you beside me for the rest of my days, I will be more than content.” He smiled, kissing the top of her head softly.

“Thank you, though you don’t have to worry about the ice storm; I wouldn’t put you through that. Besides, the hobbits wouldn’t survive it.” She laughed.

“There you two are! We have been searching for you since morning!” Aragorn announced after two hours of silence between them.

“Oh?” Triina smiled.

“What is it, My Friend?” Legolas questioned, expecting trouble from the urgency in Aragorn’s voice.

“Lelir appeared to us while Gimli and I were speaking to Théoden. He said that Sauron has no power in the afterworlds; their evil is coming from Til’Arin itself. The same one who cursed him is working against us, and against Sauron; we have two evils to face.” He answered bitterly.

Triina sighed and looked up to the sky.

“What is it?” he asked as her eyes locked onto something unknown to the others around her. “Against Sauron, this evil could benefit us. However against us, it could benefit Sauron. The question is, where is our strength needed most?” she answered.

“Sauron is the greatest threat to us at the moment,” Legolas reminded.

“Is he? How much of the evils that we face, are truly under his power? Or are they the other’s doing?”

“You’re worrying more than you need to be,” Aragorn smiled, “We know the strengths of Sauron, and are finding his weaknesses. The sorcery happening within Til’Arin will be ended in time. However if we do not face the strongest enemy, he will destroy us all.”

“You’re right. Forgive me, I’ve been dwelling on what Eevalin told us.” She sighed, but he kept his smile. “There is nothing to forgive, it is perfectly understandable. However we must keep this new threat in mind while fighting Sauron. Should this other magic come into play, we will need to be prepared.” He nodded.

“Prepared to fight an enemy we have yet to know?” Legolas demanded.

“But we do know it, Legolas. Its task is to prevent Til’Arin from returning to its original grandeur, and to prevent the bond between our peoples. It seems that the day we come together, there will no longer be room for this sorcerer’s power.” She nodded.

“So beware of anything that may aim to send you apart, and have an open mind when something does happen. Let’s avoid repeating your death, Triina.” Aragorn sighed and grabbed her hand, and took Legolas’ cloak by the other. “Now come, Aedán is training with one of Théoden King’s commanders; he requested that I find you so that you can watch.”

The moment Triina saw the “training” session, she felt like an overbearing mother watching her child be bullied. The commander was being far too rough on the boy, and the other soldiers were doing more harm than good in their “encouragement”.

“Triina, my love, he is doing all right.” Legolas smiled quietly, trying not to laugh at the expression she was giving Aedán's trainer. “I don’t want him to get hurt. He’s only just lost his father a short time ago, had to fight through that battle, and now is being treated so harshly by these men… I would like to teach THEM a lesson in arms, and see how they fair against tactics they aren’t yet trained to defend.” She retorted.

“It seems our woman has grown attached to the lad.” Gimli smirked. Aragorn nodded in amusement while she splashed him with water from a puddle. “That was uncalled for!” the dwarf barked, making her giggle and distracting Aedán's opponent.

“Good work!” Triina beamed as he disarmed the man, finally winning the match.

“Don’t be so quick to congratulate him, the match was a draw.” One of the other men announced.

“A draw?”

“Had it not been for you and the dwarf playing around, the match would still be going. The result doesn’t count.” He answered.

“It’s all right, Lady Triina. I’ll get it.” Aedán nodded, readying himself for another bout.

The training went on for hours, and Aedán didn’t win a single match. By the end, he was bruised and exhausted, and frustrated, and saw himself to be a failure. “Don’t let them get to you. You’re young yet, and have much to learn as you grow.” Aragorn assured as he and the others sat with him. “If there is another attack, I need to be ready to fight. But, I’m not strong enough to defend anything.” He sighed.

“You were strong enough for my people to call you a warrior. That means a lot, Aedán. You may not feel that you are strong, but I have seen you fight, and can say in great confidence that one day you will be one of the finest commanders the race of Men has ever seen.” Triina smiled supportively.

“I have so much more to learn; my father will never be proud of me like this.”

“Don’t think such things.” Legolas frowned, kneeling in front of him and placing his hand on his shoulder, “I have seen many soldiers fight, and you are one I respect most. I am honored to have fought beside you in Helms Deep, and to have come to know you so well. After knowing you I have found that it is I who has so much to learn; you have much to show us. You are very, very young, Aedán, do not let the bitterness of these men taint your heart.”

Aedán had no reply for the elf as they sat together. Triina felt her heart jump as she watched them interact, knowing that her lover felt a small fatherly care for the child before him. Often when Aedán was having troubles Legolas would be there, offering guidance and support to the boy. Even King Théoden had commented once on the fatherly watch he held over him.

Suddenly she felt something else around her. A similar warning that she had felt many times before from waters, a warning of death. She remembered the feeling she had before Lyle was killed, and before Gandalf fell in the mines. Before the battles that clamed so many lives. And now, the warning was present again and she knew that they were not prepared for a fight. However there was something different about this warning, and it was as confusing as it was worrying.

“Triina,” Aragorn called out, quietly pulling her from her worried haze.

“I’m all right.” She assured and stood up, “I’m going to walk for a while. Clear my head.” She smiled, nodding and smiling to Legolas as he continued to help Aedán.

“Do you mind company?” Aragorn asked as he followed her slow pace to the lands outside the heart of Edoras.

“Of course not.” She nodded and continued to walk, “Aragorn there is a warning around us. Similar to the ones sent to me by the waters before the deaths of our friends and fellows, I am unable to tell what it is warning against, though. It is difficult to explain.”

“What does it feel like?”

“A knot in my throat, and whispers in my ears.” She sighed.

“Do you worry for Gandalf and Pippin?”

“No, I know that for the moment they are safe. I worry for my people, and the people of Théoden King.”

“Should we prepare for battle?” he asked seriously.

“Not yet… oh I wish beyond words that I could understand the language of the waters! In Til’Arin we have ways of understanding. Sirens that speak both languages, old and ancient women that speak to the Spirits of the waters and learn that way… I am unable to do it though.”

Aragorn nodded as they walked outside of Edoras completely, and into the lands surrounding it, knowing that Triina was fleeing the emotions of the people in search of clarity in the water’s warning.

Suddenly a shadow passed over the land around them, blocking the light from the sun as mist filled the air.

“Aragorn, run!” Triina gasped, turning and slipping on the already wet grass below her, “Run and warn the people to take cover! Get them into strong shelters. Stone is best! GO!” she nearly screamed.

“What is this?” he demanded, drawing his sword.

“Swords do nothing against water, Aragorn. RUN!” she snapped and grabbed him by the cloak to pull him with her, using her elf-like grace and unusual speed to get him past the shadow and mist. Though just as she thought they were safe, the mist changed to a strangely coloured fog, and she collapsed the moment she inhaled it.

“Triina!” Aragorn gasped, grabbing her before she could hit the ground, “Triina!” he shouted again while shaking her, but she wouldn’t respond. Her skin was cold and forming ice from the mist, and her lips were becoming blue. As he lifted her into his arms and ran into the heart of Edoras with her in his arms, he knew that she was somehow either freezing to death, or drowning.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm deeply sorry for such a wait. My computer crashed, I had writer's block, and I lost the script I was following. But now I'm back and plan to write to the end. I have all of the things that I need, including inspiration for the end and possibly beyond into a second story.

If you still read this, please comment so that I know it is worth posting the rest of the chapters. I know that many of you have asked for the new chapters, I hope they find you well.