Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Restless Night

As the people of Edoras recovered from the visit of the Water Wraiths Legolas, Aragorn, Triina, Gimli, and Aedán searched every corner, hole, and cart for their missing friend, Merry. Triina was becoming extremely worried that he did not survive the wraiths’ visit, and after an hour of searching found herself filled with despair and seated on a barrel in tears.

“My Lady, are you all right?” one of Èomer’s men asked worriedly after finding her alone. “One of our friends is missing after the visit of the Water Wraiths… we cannot find him. I fear he did not survive.” She explained after forcing her tears to stop.

“What is his name? I will instruct my fellow riders to go out in search of him; perhaps he simply fled when the mist came, seeking better cover. If he, like you, was outside the walls when the mist came to us, he may have run in a different direction of the city.” He offered.

“Merry. He’s small, you would think him just a child if you saw him.”

The man nodded and looked around for a moment before looking back at her, “Come with me, I don’t feel comfortable leaving you alone in such a state. No woman handles these situations as well alone.”

Triina looked up at him in shock for a moment before anger filled her eyes. How dare he think her weak to be alone, just because she is a woman? She has seen and survived more than he can imagine going through, and escaped to be just fine. Before she could go off on him though, Legolas ran to her and landed with a shocking lack of grace on his knee at her side, taking her hand in one of his and brushing a stray hair away from her tearstained face with the other. “They’ve found him, Triina, Merry is not lost to us.” He smiled breathlessly. Clearly he had been running a very long way to find her.

“Where is he?” she asked, excitedly jumping to her feet. “He is with Aedán and Aragorn, having some wounds treated. Come, they are worried about you. Gimli is still out searching for Merry; Èomer went to find him for us.”

Without saying another word Triina followed Legolas to a small stable where Aragorn was treating some scrapes on the side of Merry’s head and Aedán helped an old doctor treat other weakened people.

“How did you get all of these scratches?” She gasped, kneeling down beside him as he gave her a goofy smile. “Well I was out playing some games with a few of the children, and I saw a storm rolling in. I thought it was a storm. So I started having them run back to their homes, and one was left behind so I went to get him as the others passed the gate, but when I got to him I slipped because the ground was getting wet, and I fell into a hole through some thorn bushes. He ran to a guard, but by then everything was foggy and I guess the guards couldn’t go out to find me.” He explained, “But I’m free now!”

“And I’m very happy about that.” She laughed and waited for Aragorn to finish cleaning his scrapes.

Far, far away in another land of Men, in a kingdom that had stood apart from the war since the first mutterings of Sauron’s return, King Radill stood facing the moon and stars with a raging mix of emotions as vast as an ocean raging inside of him. He had been thinking about his daughter, though he hardly called her by such a title. He knew that it wouldn’t be long before the war touched his lands, but had no reason to send his men to fight until that day. They had not been called to battle, and he had no ties to the war as of yet.

As he watched the skies to the north, thinking over everything that plagued his mind, he saw a flash of light across the sky and noticed what looked to be a star falling from the heavens. It landed in a field of crops, and set them ablaze the moment it touched them, as the star was hot and the leaves were dry from months without rain.

Farmers ran from their homes to save their crops but it was too late. Since Triina had left for Rivendell with his men, rain hadn’t touched his kingdom. It was a terrible coincidence that was a constant reminder of the creature he sent out, hoping that she would not return.

In Rivendell, an entirely different scene was unfolding. Lord Elrond was rushing through the rooms of his home, collecting any book, scroll, carving, and writing relating to the Til’Arin legends and kingdom, while Arwen entertained a group of strangers who arrived unannounced to them.

When he returned with the writings, holding as many books as he could carry and followed by three other elves with the same amount of writings and relics, he went from stern to smiling as Arwen jumped over a stream of water that was spinning in a circle above the ground. There were three children with her, playing the same game, laughing and smiling as well, and the light in his daughter’s eyes warmed his heart.

“Shall we leave the children in her care? I would not like to frighten them. They are learning Elvish quickly simply from their short time here in Rivendell.” One of the older strangers announced. “Of course. Arwen, will you care for them?” he asked.

“Of course, Father.” She laughed after jumping late and getting splashed by the water-rope.

Lord Elrond led his guests to have a small council far from the children, and set out all of the books and scrolls before dismissing the elves that helped him carry them. “This is everything that I have collected.” He explained, “Still not much is known about your people. Even with so many writings, many of them repeat the same things.”

“Then you are safe. The writings by the hands of Elves are inaccurate, and what you have collected from the Til’Arin themselves is very minimal. I can assure you that by these, you should have little to fear of the dangers we are facing in our homelands. However, you are the one that Sillis Triina sees as her father. Not the mortal King who has abused her heart for years. It was your council that fulfilled our prophecy, and your House that she sees as her home. Because of that, I would be on your guard.” A tall man with a long silver braid that fell to his hips explained.

“Understand, Lord Elrond, there are very few visitors that you are able to trust. We are in fragile times. The end of the war is near and our enemies are growing desperate. Sillis Triina has devoted herself to destroying Sauron before the sorcerer that threatens her people, and is right to do so for we can protect them until she returns with her blades.” A woman with dark blue hair that curled in tight ringlets added.

They were the high priest and priestess of the Til’Arin temples, and sent by Eevalin to protect Rivendell from the dark powers that were sure to strike there. The children were students of the temples, and bound by blood to them. Such a distance between Til’Arin and Rivendell would have killed them if they were left behind.

“And what of these other beings you spoke of? There are other races in the Northlands that you mentioned.”

“Yes, many. There are many creatures in all lands that live unseen alongside ones that are seen. For the Til’Arin, they lived as known citizens of their lands and kingdom. The sirens, water sprites, and even the fae live among them. Til’Arin was a very magical city… until a new ruler forced himself to rule by assassinating our royal family, forced us into ‘peaceful life’. Even the infant twins, born only two days before, were brutally slain. The peaceful creatures then went into hiding to protect the people they had become so closely bonded with, eventually breaking the bond and severing all connections to one another. The fae faded into myth, the water sprites into legend, the ‘sky serpents’ were forgotten. The only ones to demand to remain among the people were the Sirens, and Water Wraiths.” The priestess explained sadly, shaking her head.

“I’ve studied the water sprites, flying serpents, fae and the sirens, but I have only learned a small amount about the Water Wraiths. This page here is all that I have found of them.” Lord Elrond frowned, passing her a piece of parchment with a smoky looking creature built of mist drawn onto it, with a ghastly face and hollow, menacing eyes. Below it was written: “The Water Wraith. Bringer of death by capturing the victim in a thick mist that drowns them, or by tricking the Til’Arin into taking their own lives.”

“That is true. They are monsters and we have spent our entire existence searching for a way to defeat them.” The priest spat.

“The destiny of the unseen lives in the city of Til’Arin is not of importance. We have lost ourselves in conversation.” The priestess observed, “What we are here to discuss, other than what may become of you and your people should you have proof of your education in our ways, is Sillis Triina’s power. Her magic is very strong, not simply for a half-breed, but for any Til’Arin. Once in many, many years, a child is born with the true powers of our people. The last children to have such traits were the twins that were murdered when the Time of Peace began. Sillis Triina holds these traits, and the Unseen are taking notice. When our city began to change, to return to its former self, they began to stir, and now, they are beginning to return to the open fields of our homelands. Because of her great bond in magic, she will be sought out by all of them. I fear it may be too much for her.”

Lord Elrond frowned as he realized the real meaning of her words. Triina was unsure of herself, he knew her well enough to know that under her confidence she was afraid to stand up. Afraid to accept love from anyone. Afraid to be close to anyone. Afraid of being rejected as she was with her father. She was not one to believe she was strong enough to wield these new powers. She would be visited by many new beings, and was already under a lot of stress having to lead an entire race without guidance. To lead her people, and front new alliances with countless kingdoms, could very well break her.

“I understand your fear. I too have a daughter, and know what it is to worry about what may become of her.” The priest nodded, feeling his emotions. “Forgive me, I did not expect a priest to be a father.” He nodded quietly, still somewhat lost in thought over Triina. “Of course. Many priests are not permitted such privileges. To our people, however, having a family is something treasured. As a priest I study life of all kinds. As a father I helped to create it, and I protect it. Fatherhood and priesthood in Til’Arin go hand in hand. Though we are not valued as much as the priestess, who is the one who GIVES life. It is the woman who is most powerful, and beautiful in many ways.” He smiled, making the priestess shake her head and frown at her husband.

Triina woke with a loud, annoyed groan to find herself on the steps outside of the Golden Hall. The sun was rising, and she had yet to find a peaceful rest. She had seen her father stargazing, and woken quickly thanks to Èowyn accidentally dropping her water bucket and startling her. Then while sitting on the steps and copying her father’s actions, she must have fallen asleep, as she then witnessed Lord Elrond’s meeting with the high priest and priestess of Til’Arin’s temples.

“Lady Triina,” Théoden’s voice called as he approached her, “Are you all right?”

She sighed and looked up at him with tired eyes, surrounded by the telltale shadowy result of a sleepless night. “In truth, Théoden King, I am not.” She sighed, slowly forcing herself to stand, “I have not slept peacefully at all this night. The sun is now rising; I have responsibilities to see to; sleep will have to wait until tonight.”

“May I inquire to what troubles you?” he asked, offering his help as he followed her back into the hall.

“I have fallen asleep many times, and only been given visions. I have not been dreaming, as much as traveling to visit far places in spirit. I saw my father, I saw Rivendell, Til’Arin, the unknown peaks of our mountains, the deep waters below the city… and because of this I am more exhausted now than I have been in days.” She sighed, stopping at a small chair that he guided her to sit in, “And I have not the time to think over such things.”

“You have time.” He nodded, “You are needed in good health, but not in suffering. A soldier too weak to lift his sword is nothing more than a standing corpse going into battle. Rest, Lady Triina, and regain your strength.” He smiled and left her to decide if she should go to bed or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't tell if this is "filler" or not honestly, haha. It's needed for future chapters, but also building to the next big event, so I guess it is up to you to name it!

A wonderful friend of mine on here, OctoberA7X, suggested that I put a song list at the end of my chapters now, to show what music helped to inspire what I write. So, here are the songs that did it for this and the last chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpulL9ZXGU <~~ Incredible song, completely blows my mind into another world. This may be the song that plays for Triina and Legolas' wedding. (I have been looking for their wedding song since chapter six. hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-MOZ4YFGTo&NR=1 Also a very strong inspiration song for me. The last one, though, I have played countless times, just repeating it for somewhere around four hours. This one only got repeated for two.

Oh! I have a request, if you're up to it. If you hear a song that you think fits Triina and Legolas' relationship, can you share it? I've been looking for something to inspire more moments between them, and I have a future chapter planned to really get deep into their feelings. I just can't seem to get the feel.

Thanks!! ~L (wow this was a long author's note... this was an author's novel!!)