Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Lothlórien.

Haldir lead the Fellowship through winding pathways until finally arriving at their destination at nightfall. The sheer beauty of this place left Triina breathless. She had once thought Rivendell the most beautiful place in middle earth, but the silvery glow that adorned the elfish walkways, that wound around the trunks of trees, and skillfully carved archways over the path they were following now was unlike anything she had seen. Legolas had to pull her along to keep her from gawking.

They followed Haldir to an archway, and stopped as he stepped aside. Triina stood nervously beside Legolas as a glowing couple descended the steps in front of them. When the light faded slightly, Triina was standing face to face with Lord Celeborn, and Lady Galadriel. Aragorn gave them a sort of greeting, and she felt she should do the same, but was afraid to draw attention to herself. She was, after all, Til’Arin and the elfish version of her story had her people a traitorous race of deceptive witches. What if these elves take her as an enemy, and imprison her for it?

She forced herself back to reality, in time to hear Lord Celeborn’s first comments. “The Enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone.” He stated. She sighed, hoping that even with this news they would be given refuge, and a safe place to stay for at least the night. “Nine there are here, yet eleven there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf?”

Once again sorrow washed over Triina, as she felt not only her own grief, but also that which was felt by the Fellowship as a whole.

“For I much desire to speak with him… I can no longer see him from afar.”

Galadriel’s eyes focused on Aragorn as Triina struggled to keep her tears back. Of all forms of water she could control, tears were not one of them. “Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He has fallen into shadow.” She announced. Triina silently begged her not to mention Lyle’s passing, for she knew she could not control her sobs for both the wizard, and her lost friend.

“He was taken by both shadow and flame; a Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria” Legolas announced. Gimli nodded his head sadly, and Triina closed her eyes, causing one tear to fall from each eye. From that point on, she was unable to follow the goings on around her. She was lost in sorrow, and trying to keep her head in the swarm of emotions and thoughts that raged like an ocean’s waves crashing upon the rocks.

Finally, after what felt to her like an eternity, the Fellowship parted from the Lord and Lady. She was taken to a place where she could bathe, which did wonders for her as the water healed any of her lingering wounds. She was given a dress that was the same color as her hair and one of the elves took her clothes to be cleaned and repaired.

She was now seated beside Sam as the other hobbits prepared for bed. There was a song in the air being sung by the elves. For her, elfin songs usually brought comfort, and peace, but this one only brought strength to her sorrow and grief. “A lament for Gandalf.” Legolas announced. “Ah, that explains it.” She sighed to herself, focusing on the grass before her. “What do they say about him?” Merry asked curiously. “I have not the heart to tell you; for me the grief is still too near.” He sighed. Triina nodded and changed her focus form the grass, to Legolas, who seemed to be glowing like everything else in Lothlórien.

“Triina,” he said suddenly, breaking her from her trance. “I’m sorry,” she muttered as a light blush turned her cheeks a rosy pink. “Do you?” he asked. She blinked a few times. “I’m sorry, do I what?” she questioned, blushing deeper. “Wish to accompany me; I’m going for a walk.” He smiled. “Oh, of course.” She nodded and took the hand he offered to help her up.

They walked one of the main paths through Lothlórien, passing many elves who would stare at her in confusion, awe, curiosity. “Many, if not all of them, have never seen someone with such a beautifully unique shade of hair.” He smiled as they turned onto a narrower path that led into the outskirts of the city. “For my people, it is as common as your golden seems to be for the elves. Though I believe it does you better justice.” She replied. His smile widened as they came to a clearing far enough from any other elves, that they wouldn’t be heard, or seen.

For a long time they stood in silence, just staring into one another’s eyes. He took a risk and brought his hand up to her face, caressing her cheekbone with his thumb. Her eyes fluttered closed as she pressed her face further into the palm of his hand. When her eyes finally opened, he was watching her with a facial expression that made her sigh and look away.

“What is it?” he asked, worried that he had done something wrong.

“You just look so… blissful. In all of this madness, you somehow always have this look of calm about you. When L,” she stopped herself before she said his name. “Triina,” he sighed, putting his arms around her and holding her lightly. “E-even when Lyle, passed, you felt calm. When the orcs attacked us at the tomb, you were calm, when Gandalf fell, you were calm and when you revived me from my collapse, you were calm!” she laughed, “How do you do it?”

“I was not calm through all of those events.” He stated simply.

“You can’t lie to me about this, Legolas. I felt your emotions; you were at ease.”

“Only when I was able to see you.” He admitted, holding eye contact with her, “When Lyle was lost to us, I was not at ease, because you were in pain. But I was calm, because I felt I had to be in order to comfort you. When the orcs attacked, I was only calm if I could see that you were all right. When Gandalf fell, I was not at ease or calm; I was even more afraid when you collapsed and wouldn’t wake.”

She shook her head and blushed.

“You know, you look even lovelier when you do that.”

“Do what?” she laughed, trying to make her blush fade, but only made it deeper.

“Blush that way. It makes you look so innocent in all of this… madness.” he smiled. She laughed lightly and rested her head on his shoulder, twisting the front of his silvery shirt into her fingers. She sighed as he placed his hands on her upper back and held onto her. “We should return to the others, you need rest.” He murmured to her. “What makes you think I need rest?” she asked, cursing the yawn that followed. “Aside from that, you still feel very cold; you said before that if you aren’t injured, that your body is cold like this when you need to rest and recover your strength.” He replied. “Do you remember everything I say?” she asked with a chuckle.

“Much of it.”

“The first thing I said to you, what was it?”

He made a small noise as he thought before answering. “You told me that you weren’t dangerously injured, answering my question if you were all right when I found you on the road to Rivendell.” He smiled triumphantly, “Is that correct?”

“It sounds to be, I’m not sure; I honestly can’t remember.” She laughed. He joined her in her laughter for a short while before guiding her back to the other Fellowship members, only Aragorn was awake when they arrived.

“Sleep well, Triina.” He smiled as Legolas helped her lie down. By the time he had gotten her to their small camp, she had given up on hiding how tired she was, and he was supporting much of her weight. “Thank you, you too Aragorn.” She nodded and fell asleep almost instantly.

The next morning Triina awoke feeling well rested, and revived. Quickly she and the other Fellowship members prepared to depart from the elves. She changed into her freshly washed clothes, which were now in better condition than they had been when they were new, and once again her hair was pulled into its long braid, held back by two leather bands.

As soon as she was dressed she jogged to join the others, who were lined up before Lord Celeborn. She stood with her one sword, attaching it to her side before a green cloak was fastened around her with a green and silver leaf shaped broach. She bowed her head in thanks and smiled. She would miss the peaceful nature of Lothlórien.

“Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people. May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes.” Lord Celeborn announced. Everyone nodded their thanks once again as the elves prepared the provided boats for their departure. They would be taking the Anduin River, in hopes of outrunning their enemies.

She noticed Legolas helping them, and insisted on offering her assistance as well. “Lembas! Elvish Way-bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man.” He announced, holding up a sort of wafer for her to see. She immediately started to laugh. “Is something funny about the foods of the elves?” he questioned lightly. “No, not at all. Pippin’s eaten four already!” she answered, still laughing. He stopped and looked over to where Merry and Pippin were sitting and gave a smiling sigh.

Finally they were on their way. Triina sat in a boat with Merry and Pippin, using her controls over the water to steer their boat behind Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir’s, and in front of Aragorn, Sam, and Frodo’s. Lady Galadriel had given everyone gifts, and Triina couldn’t help but to smile as she recalled what she had been give, and what was said to her.

Lady Galadriel stood before Triina, who was unable to meet her gaze, as she was still nervous of the elves’ views of her people. “The Twin Blades of the Til’Arin are of the most powerful bladed weapons known in Middle Earth; however, they are only whole when together. I see you only have one, what happened to its match?” she asked.

“It was lost in the Mines, I dropped it while fleeing from the Balrog.” She answered, still avoiding her gaze.

“Long ago a traveler came to us, from the lands of the Til’Arin. As a peace offering he left us his swords, asking that we pass them on when we feel the time is right. I believe the time has come for them to be passed on, and once again be wielded in battle.” She smiled, and placed two finely crafted swords, with light murky, green scabbards that were decorated to look like water in a river, and black handles with pale, crystal blue gems for the pommels. She unsheathed one to see the blade was an ice blue, with intricate carvings down the center of water, rain, and snow. “These… these are the Ice Blades!” she gasped. Galadriel nodded with a smile as Triina finally made eye contact. “May they aid you in your quest, Triina. And do not allow your fears to rule your actions.” She nodded, glancing to Legolas and back again. Triina nodded and went back to admiring her new swords as she moved to the next Fellowship member.

Her smile grew as she watched the elf ahead of her, even though it was only the back of his head. Even Lady Galadriel knew of her feelings for him, and told her not to be afraid to express them.

“Triina,” Merry said with an almost musing tone. “Merry,” she mocked. “Your new swords, the ones the elves gave you, why are they so special?” he asked. Pippin sat up straighter, having his interest sparked, and listened carefully for her answer. “Ages ago, before the Til’Arin were a passive race, the third king, of the Second Family, was also a commander on the frontlines. He and his brothers fought the evils before even Saruon came to be! He and his two brothers fought with three sets of Twin Blades. The First Son’s were called the Blades of Rain, the Second Son’s were the Raging River Blades, and the Third Son’s, his swords, were the Ice Blades.

“These sets of swords are legendary to my people! The Great Kings all fought with them, as they were passed with the crown, and Second Positions, until the Time of Peace, where the Til’Arin became a passive race and no longer fought.” She explained, once again admiring her new swords.

“Triina, if you wouldn’t mind steering your boat,” Aragorn called out as his nearly hit the back of hers. “My apologies, Aragorn,” she sighed and resumed the use of her powers to move the craft. “Didn’t you say you were the princess of Til’Arin?” Pippin asked. She nodded but kept silent as she waited to see where he was going with this thought. “So you’re the future queen, joining the fight against Saruon, bringing your people back into the war, with these Ice Blades?” he asked. She nodded again, as her eyes grew wide with the realization. “Then it would seem the Til’Arin will have a new Great Leader to write about when this is over.” Aragorn commented as his boat came up beside theirs. “The Sons of the Second Family were the last Great Leaders… I am far from being a son of the Second Family.” She laughed. “No, but you are a Daughter of the Sillis Family.” Legolas commented from ahead of her. She smirked, and sent a small stream of water to jump from beside the boat and hit him on the shoulder.

“Shall I retaliate for you?” Boromir questioned. Aragorn looked confusedly at both him and the elf as Legolas nodded. Boromir used his paddle to fling water into the boat behind them, spraying everyone aboard. “If that is how you wish to play, Legolas,” she called out slyly. “You cannot use your Til’Arin abilities against us, it wouldn’t be a fair fight.” He interrupted. “You using your friend to retaliate is?” she retorted. “That was teamwork. What you did was cheating, lass.” Gimli announced. “All right, Sam, would you please?” she laughed. “No, our boat remains neutral.” Aragorn announced firmly.

Merry, without direction splashed Aragorn in the side of the head, while Pippin splashed Boromir, who once again flung water into their boat with his paddle. Aragorn was laughing as Boromir and Pippin continued their fight, while Merry joined in after splashing Frodo and Sam. Triina hit Gimli, and Legolas both, and had to use her Til’Arin abilities to steady her boat when it was nearly capsized by Merry’s dodging Boromir’s attack.

“Now children, behave yourselves. We are on a dangerous quest after all.” Sam announced. Aragorn chuckled while Triina laughed fully. Boromir was laughing also, and Legolas had turned around to face her boat, entranced by the way she looked while so happy, until a small amount of water went into his mouth, which had fallen open. “I apologize, Legolas, it was too perfect a chance to pass up.” She laughed as he coughed and spit the water back into the river.