Reunited

Her

"Ah, ma belle, there you are."

Simone rolled her eyes and took a sip of her hot chocolate. "Here I am, just like I said I'd be."

"Mais oui." Max smiled. He took the seat across from her. "What seems to be the problem, ma belle?"

"There is no problem, Max. I guess it's just been a long day."

"I see." Max nodded. "How's that boyfriend of yours?"

"Zach? He's good. He's working on some project for his office."

"Oh, that's good, right?"

"It is, but he's not going to get promoted."

"Pourqoui?"

"I don't know, that's just what he told me." Simone shrugged. She watched as Max checked his phone.

"That's too bad," Max said, putting his phone on the table. "I hope you don't mind. I'm heading over to Sid's after."

Simone shook her head. "Tell me about your day."

"Ha, my day was nothing special," Max said, smirking.

"I bet it wasn't," Simone mumbled.

"Hey, hey, don't be mad at me. You're the one who wanted to talk, so you better start spilling before I get up and leave."

"Fine," Simone sighed. "Work was typical, nothing crazy exciting happened. Then Jordan picked me up like he always does. When I got home, Zach was cooking. We ended up talking about work and he made the comment that I seemed different after the conference a few weeks ago."

"I didn't think you were any different."

"Thanks. Anyway, I basically ignored the comment. Then when I asked him about a promotion, he said he wasn't getting one and then went on to ask when I would get one."

"Didn't you start a few months ago?"

"Yeah, three months ago."

"Can you even get promoted?"

Simone shook her head. "I've told him that before. When I first applied for the job, I told him that, if I was hired, I would be as high up as I could go."

"So, basically, your boyfriend is PMSing and taking it out on you?"

"That's pretty much it," Simone said with a chuckle.

Max nodded, a serious look overcoming his face. "Staalsy said you're coming to watch us this weekend."

"I am. Max, why are you being all serious?"

"Is Zach coming?"

"No, he's going to be working all weekend. Seriously Max, you're scaring me."

"Don't turn around," Max whispered, leaning into the table. "Put on my hat and follow me. Keep your head low and your lips closed."

"Ma-"

"Shh." Max put his finger to her lips and handed her his hat. "Come on."

Simone pulled the cap over her red hair and followed Max out of the cafe. Once they were at his black BMW, she pulled the hat off and shoved it into his hands. "Max, what's going on?"

"All I'm going to say is that you definitely did not want to see that. Now get in, I'm taking you to Sid's with me."

"What?" Simone looked at Max, bewildered.

"Just get in," Max demanded, getting into the driver's seat.

She slide into the seat beside him and fastened her seat belt as he sped away from the cafe. "What was that all about?"

"I'll tell you later," Max replied, focusing on the road. "Once we get to Sid's."
♠ ♠ ♠
mais oui - but yes
pourqoui? - why?