Sequel: Captain Diapers
Status: FIN! But read its sequel!

Caught In The Middle

Chapter 6

Jonathan and I wait for our lunch to arrive as we took in the view of the bridge from the horizon. We decided on a simple lunch after walking around Fort Mackinac. I promise to meet up with Candace for last minute wedding stuff at the cottage. Hopefully if Candace doesn’t keep me busy, I can spend some time with TJ. I felt so bad turning him down since he’s been such an amazing friend to me, especially in the past year. I care about Jonathan too but it’s different because we have a past. There will always have that lingering feeling of being together for so long.

The waitress brought us our lunches: a chicken Caesar salad for Jonathan and a turkey wrap for me, as well as our drinks before leaving us alone.

“So we’re finally alone.” I said as I took a sip of my lemonade.

“I’m sure you needed that with the wedding and all. To be honest, I always thought your sister was going to marry one of my teammates or something.”

“Seriously, Johnny?” I stopped for a moment before I swallowed my food. “This is Candace Krause we’re talking about. She has a reputation to protect, being the former Homecoming Queen/Prom Queen/Head Cheerleader/Sorority Queen. She felt football players turned law students are a better catch than hockey players.”

“Touché!” Jonathan shot me one of his famous faces to me. “I’m surprised you’re talking about your sister that way. I thought you were close.”

“We are. She’s always been the one everyone looks at. I just prefer to keep it to myself.” I smiled as I remembered when I decided to make sure I set myself apart from my sister.

*January 2008*

I was reading one of my books for one my classes when I received a text from Jonathan stating he’s in town for the next couple of days. He got injured a few weeks ago and hasn’t been playing. With the All-Star Break happening this weekend, I was surprised that he chose coming back to Grand Forks for a visit and not visits his parents in Winnipeg or his brother in Minnesota.

Despite breaking up with Jonathan, we decided to try being friends. So far it’s been a success. I would talk to him about the latest news at the campus while he talked about living in Chicago and his new teammate and roomie, Patrick Kane. He even told me that Patrick wants him to invite me to Chicago so he can meet me.

Having him far away gives me a chance to breathe and be my own person. I decided to take a job as a secretary for a friend of my mother’s to make some extra money for myself. I also decided on a new look for myself. Gone was the long, flowing blonde hair and was replaced by a dark bob. I felt like Ashlee Simpson during that first season of her show, when she decided not to be in her big sister Jessica’s shadow and dye her hair jet black. My family, Justine, and Phoebe were shocked by the drastic change of style but grew to like the new me. I haven’t seen Jonathan since the breakup so I am not sure how he’ll react.

I sent him a text back, stating that I’ll meet him at the arena once I’m finished reading this chapter. At that moment, my mom walks in, placing a laundry pile on the side.

“You heard that Jonathan is back in town for a couple of days?” Mommy said as she sat beside me on the bed.

“I just text him. Are you going to be like Dad and beg me to work things out with him?”

“It was your decision so I’m not going to interfere with that.” My mother’s the only person who understood why I broke up with him. Dad wanted to shake my senseless for letting him go. Candace wouldn’t speak to me for a week. Skylar cried because she hoped that Jonathan would be a part of the family. Even my friends thought I was nuts for dumping him. “However, I am glad you remain friends. I just want you to focus on school for now.”

“Thanks, Mommy.”

“Jonathan is going to wonder why made you change your hair color.”

“It’s just hair! If I decide to go back being a blonde or let it grow out, I will decide on my own time.” I closed my book as she began messing with my hair.

“At least Timothy likes it.”

“TJ likes everything! But he’s Johnny’s friend so of course he’s gotta say that.” I got up as I went to the closet to find something to wear. While Jonathan and I talk whenever he has the time, TJ and I were beginning to spend more time together. Usually when your friend breaks up with someone, they don’t remain friends with the friend’s ex. I’m sure Jonathan asked him to watch over me while he’s gone.

After getting dressed, I went to the arena and waited for Jonathan at one of the concession stands. I admit I’m very nervous to see him now that he’s an upcoming star of the NHL. Just when I thought he wasn’t going to show up, here comes Candace and her current flavor of the month joining me at the stand.

“Oh my goodie, you heard about--” Candace giggled as she took a napkin to wipe off something from her lips.

“Yes, Jonathan is in town. Maybe it’s not a good idea to wait for him.”

“Maybe because he’s less than 10 feet away from you.” She turns me around and there I was, standing next to Jonathan Toews once again.

“Brunette?” Jonathan smirked as he noticed my hair. “TJ told me you went for a small change but wasn’t expecting that. But how are you?”

“Great.” I leaned up and kissed his cheek. “And TJ likes to sugarcoat things.”

“That’s TJ to you. So shall we?” He nods as we follow him inside to watch the game. Jonathan left us for a short time to do an interview and dropped the puck before the game. Once he returned, I felt he couldn’t keep his eyes off of me. While I was happy to spend time with him, I knew I did the right thing for myself to end things with him.


I look at the boats that were sailing across the lake as I was waiting for Jonathan to pay the waitress. I wasn’t paying attention what he was saying but that’s because I wasn’t interested on his workout regimen or Patrick Kane or the annual Convention that happened the weekend before. I was more interested why he accepted the wedding invitation.

“Are you ready to head back?” Jonathan asked as he held my hand.

“Yeah. But I was wondering why did you accept the invitation?” We got up as we walked out and checked out the fort. “And why didn’t you bring a date with you?”

“I came for you. I know it’s been a while but I’m here now.” He kissed my forehead as we look at the Mackinac Bridge together. It felt nice but a part of me wants to be back the resort and figure out if that was a perfect excuse to come to this little island.

We were back at the resort to see TJ and Skylar playing bocci ball near the garden. While the whole family loves Jonathan, they get along with TJ despite a rocky start. Watching him tease Skylar on how she threw the ball made me thought of how he’ll do anything to cheer me up. Skylar looked up and saw Jonathan and I standing there and began to run towards us.

“Oh gosh. What time is it?” Skylar asked as we know we have to meet up with Candace at the cottage.

“We’re a little early. Don’t worry.” TJ caught up to my sister and shook hands with Jonathan. “Teaching her bocci ball?”

“We needed to do something other than jump into a pool.” TJ smiled as he turned to Jonathan. “So you want to hit the gym for a bit?”

“Sure. Mally and Skye have things to do anyway.” The guys began to walk away, leaving us alone. Just as we were walking away, I saw TJ looking back at me as I mouthed “later” to him. After some time with Candace, I’m going to need time with him to recover.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what is in store for Mallory when she sees her sister? And don't you love it when mom's knows best? Leave some love and thanks again for subscribing! :)

New Character
Glenda Krause

Stuff
OMG Tazer's in town?
Mallory's post-Tazer hairstyle
Fort Mackinac and its Tea Room
Tazer's interview when he's back at UND