Status: Complete!

Mist

Chapter 16- The Endless Confusion

Chapter 16- The endless confusion.

Impossible.

Madara looked down at Kasumi's body in silence.

It had been eighty years since he had last seen her, but she looked like she hadn't aged a day.

"Tobi, un, who is this chick and why did she call you Madara?" his partner, Deidera, asked curiously.

For a split second, he almost spoke in his natural deep voice, but then he remembered his alias and cheerfully replied, "No! Tobi doesn't know pretty lady, but Tobi wonders why she is sleeping, is she okay senpai?"

He knew perfectly well she was not fine, but he couldn't let Deidera know that.

"No, un, she's not fine. It looks like someone attacked her with kunai," he replied as he inspected the female.

Then he continued, "Come on Tobi, we don't have time to deal with her."

Behind his ridiculous mask, his eyes were narrowed as he said, "Aww... senpai! I like her! I want to keep her!"

"As a pet?" Deidera questioned. "You know what leader-sama said about your last pet right?"

He smirked; sometimes it paid off to act like a total idiot in front of people he could kill in a millisecond.

"Don't worry Deidera-senpai! This pet Tobi will feed and Tobi will keep her in my room so she won't cause any trouble," Tobi half begged, half pleaded.

The blond looked at the girl, then back at Tobi, then back at the girl again. "Fine, but don't blame me if she dies."

He quickly thanked his partner and picked Kasumi up. The injuries weren't fatal, but they would restrict some movement for her.

Of course, he still had no idea why she was here and un-aged, but that didn't matter right now.

She was alive and this time he wouldn't make the mistake of letting her leave.

...

Madara paced around the room with a frown on his hidden face. What could he do about Kasumi?

He wanted to tell her who he was, where and when she was and to demand what on earth she was doing here.

But... he couldn't. It might ruin his cover-up as Tobi... yes... that cheerful idiot. Maybe Kasumi might like him.

There were other ways to get the information and from then on he would see what to do.

With that decision made, he walked out of the room.

He had to go piss Deidera off.

...

"Ugh... where am I?" Kasumi muttered and looked around the room she was currently in.

The walls were brown and there were no windows, there was very little furniture and she was sitting on a bed with black covers.

How depressing.

She gasped when she remembered what had happened before she passed out.

Izuna... Danzo... and then Madara?

She clearly remembered sensing Madara's chakra, but the man that had stood in front of her looked nothing like him.

The door opened and in came the orange masked man.

Yes, his chakra was unmistakable Madara's.

"Madara... what happened? Where am I and... Why are you wearing that thing?" she questioned as he sat down on the bed beside her.

"Madara? Tobi doesn't know who Madara is. Tobi is Tobi and Tobi is the one that helped you because Tobi is a good boy!" he cheered and she backed away from him.

"No... you... you can't be Tobi... your chakra...," she began, but then slumped in her bed and shook her head.

"You can't be Madara... he would become a transvestite than wear that... mask," she continued.

He tried to look offended as he said, "Pretty lady doesn't like Tobi's mask? But Tobi thinks it's the most beautiful mask in the world!"

She actually cracked a small smile and she said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but my name's Kasumi."

"Kasumi, Kasumi, Kasumi pretty name!" Tobi exclaimed and she chuckled.

There was no way this could possible be Madara, maybe it was just her mind playing tricks on her that his chakra felt familiar.

"So Tobi... where am I and do you know what happened?" she asked and stared at him intently.

He wagged his finger at her and scolded, "Tobi can't tell you that you're in the super secret Akatsuki base!"

She raised an eye brow at him and he yelled, "Oh no! Tobi told you the secret! Tobi is a bad boy!"

Her eye brow continued on its journey up her forehead as she hesitantly comforted, "No... It's okay Tobi... you're a ... good boy..."

Tobi jumped off the bed and began running around the room screaming 'Tobi's a good boy' over and over again.

By now, Kasumi was seriously freaked out and all she wanted was to get the hell out of the room and get some information.

She had never heard of this 'Akatsuki base' and by the looks of this member, she thought that perhaps she didn't want to.

"Tobi has to take you to leader-sama now! Come on Kasumi-chan, we can't be late," he suddenly interrupted her thoughts and she slowly climbed out of the bed.

He led her out of the room and down the long, winding hallways.

But... something seemed familiar... these walls...

Soon enough they were at the entrance to a large cave and Kasumi gasped.

This... this was...

"Come, come Kasumi-chan!" Tobi once again interrupted and led her out of the large cave and down another hallway.

A few minutes later they were standing at a large door, which eerily opened by itself.

Tobi goofily waltzed in and Kasumi trailed behind him slowly. If this was some sort of trap she wanted to at least see it coming.

"Sit down," a deep voice from the shadows commanded and Tobi instantly threw himself on a nearby chair.

She followed suit in a chair beside him and the voice spoke again, "Who are you and what are you doing here."

Tobi didn't let her reply as he stated, "This is Kasumi-chan! My new pet! I found her on the ground sleeping and then I took her!"

He watched with amusement as her facial expression turned into a look of horror and she stuttered, "Pet? I... I'm not a pet and I don't understand why you're here, this cave was uninhabited when Madara found it and there certainly weren't any rooms or furniture."

Finally, a man with a black cloak like Tobi's walked out of the shadows. He had bright orange hair and there were many piercings on his face.

"Madara? Uchiha Madara?" he questioned.

"Yes! He came into this cave and I came in sometime after him. There wasn't a single sign this place was inhabited and he's probably still somewhere around here... I have to go find him," she stated, but she was still horribly confused.

The orange haired man looked at Tobi, who nodded, before saying, "Uchiha Madara is dead."

She didn't look fazed as she replied, "I know everyone thinks that, but Harashima didn't kill him. I was there to bandage his wounds and I know he's alive." She wanted to add that he was immortal, but she didn't.

"That doesn't matter, even if he did live after that battle he would he dead now. And so should you, the battle between Uchiha Madara and Harashima Senju was eighty years ago."

Kasumi's eyes widened in shock and she muttered, "No... That's impossible... It was yesterday... you're lying!"

But... the pieces were slowly fitting together. It explained why the cave was now settled it, why she had never heard of the 'Akatsuki's' and why the man was so surprised to hear about Madara.

"This is no lie, but now answer me. What are you doing here and now?" he demanded in monotone.

She shook her head and tried to recall the facts. "After I bandaged Madara... I left to go to Konoha to inform the Uchiha's there was going to be an assassination attempt on them... half way there a man named Danzo attacked me..."

Tobi tensed up; Danzo was the reason he hadn't been able to find her all these years?

She sighed and swallowed the lump in her throat as she continued, "Then Izuna showed up... I don't know how he got there, but he took the blow for me and he died... after that... a strange vortex formed around his eye and everything went black."

"Next thing I know, I'm on the ground and Tobi is looking at me," she finished off and buried her head in her hands.

Izuna had died for her and now Madara was dead too?

It took her every ounce of will not to run out of the cave and look for Madara herself.

He couldn't be dead; he was immortal... but... if he was dead...

The lump had now grown into a full-blown choke hold and as more questions were directed at her all she could do was shake her head.

Finally, the orange haired man sighed and said, "Tobi, take her back to your room to rest. This information seems to be too much for her."

She didn't protest as she was led down the hallways again and into Tobi's room.

Then Kasumi sat down on the bed and whispered, "Tobi... tell me the truth... has it really been eighty years?"

He remembered to stay in character as he said, "Yup! But why do you look so sad? Did you like dead Madara-san?"

"Yes... but I guess you don't know what you need until it's gone..." she whispered and a lone tear rolled down her cheek.

How pathetic. Here she was, crying for a man that only caused her harm... however... he had helped save her clan... and he did give her a home...

Tobi sat down beside her and loudly announced, "Deidera senpai told me people needs hugs when they're sad! I'm going to give you a hug!"

She would have pushed him away, but she was just so tired, so confused.

Kasumi sat in his embrace and tried to stop herself from crying, but in the end she broke into a quiet sob.

Now that Madara was gone... she would always have a hole in her heart.

...

Tobi put Kasumi down on the bed quietly.

She had fallen asleep in his arms and he prided himself that finally, if subconsciously, she accepted him.

Too bad she didn't know it was him.

He tucked her in and left the room to go back to the 'leader's' room to talk. They needed to discuss what to do with Kasumi.

When he got there, Pein was already waiting for him and Tobi quickly took off his mask.

He just couldn't talk seriously with that thing on; even though he had worn it for so long he was still repulsed by it.

"Madara, is this the same Kasumi you mentioned disappeared eighty years ago?" Pein asked quietly.

He nodded, "Yes, this is my Kasumi and I intend to keep my identity a secret from her for now. However, I am going to keep her close."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? She might figure out who you are and blow your cover," Pein warned, but then instantly regretted it.

Madara frowned and sneered, "Do not question my orders, she will always be within my sight and you will do nothing to stop that."

All he did was nod, saying anything to Madara about Kasumi was like trying to convince a dog not to bark.

Then Madara put his mask back on and said, "Send me, Deidera and Kasumi on a mission scouting Konoha tomorrow."

He quickly left and Pein shook his head. Looks like Tobi was going to be even more mental than usual and Madara way more demanding.

What was this world coming to?

...

Kasumi woke up to find she was alone in the room and she instantly jumped out of the bed.

Now she could finally be free to explore.

Suddenly, she hunched and grabbed her sides. Eighty years may have passed, but those injuries were still very fresh.

She quietly opened the door, looked around and then snuck out into the hallway.

It took her twenty minutes to get back to the large cave and just as she stepped out from behind the wall...

"You are Kasumi?"

She nearly swore as she turned around and saw another cloaked man staring at her. This one had black hair in a pony tail and... The Sharingan?

"I am Uchiha Itachi," the man stated and she asked, "Wait... how did you know my name, Itachi?"

He stepped forward and said, "I found your name and description in the old Uchiha criminal record files... it seems you are the sole survivor of the Mountain Clan, but you are also its traitor."

Her eyes widened and she yelled, "Sole survivor? That's impossible! My clan got along with all the other clans perfectly!"

Itachi sighed at her loudness, but continued, "They attacked Konoha when they found out about Uchiha Madara's and Uchiha Izuna's deaths, but they lost and as they were heading back other clans wiped them out."

Kasumi narrowed her eyes and asked, "Why are you telling me this? You could be lying for all I know."

"I am telling you because I know one thing for certain, Uchiha Madara is alive and he plotted and executed the murder of the entire Uchiha clan."

His words were like knives cutting into her skin and for a second she was paralyzed with relief, anger, shock and regret.

"No... But... he wouldn't do that... he loved his clan... and you're alive! If he had wanted to kill them he would have spared no one," she was breathing heavily now.

Itachi smirked and said, "That's because I helped him do it."

Just like that, he was gone and Kasumi was left alone standing in the passage way.

Could his words be true? Was Madara really alive, but if he was... why would he kill the clan? And... Her clan was wiped out too?

Nothing made sense and she sighed when she realized it would be a while before she could understand anything.

Suddenly Tobi was in front of her and he said, "Kasumi-chan left the room without permission! Kasumi-chan is a bad, bad girl! Pets have to act their owners before they do something!"

She narrowed her eyes at him and suddenly demanded, "Tell me about Uchiha Itachi."

He frowned, but cheerfully replied, "Itachi-san is a meanie! He-" "killed his entire clan?" she added.

Tobi looked down and said, "Yes, Itachi-san did that, but Kisame-san seems to like him."

She didn't know who this 'Kisame' person was, but she didn't really care as she continued, "He just talked to me, he said he knows Madara is alive and he said he was the one that helped him kill his clan."

His eyes narrowed dangerously and he went silent for a moment. He forgot that he had shown Itachi he was alive a few years ago.

At least he didn't know he was Tobi.

Finally he gasped and said, "Madara-san is alive? But leader-sama said he was dead."

Kasumi shook her head and Tobi noticed her hands were fisted. "I should have known! That bastard and Danzo must have been in on the whole thing and I was just the 'third wheel'. He tried to get me killed so he could wipe the clan out himself!"

Tobi's eyes widened and he realized his mistake.

Now it looked like he (Madara) had tried to kill her even though he was actually against Danzo.

She looked up at Tobi sharply and vowed, "I'm going to find Madara and avenge my clan! If he hadn't pretended to be dead, Izuna would have lived and my clan would have never attacked and been wiped out!"

His eyes widened even further and he swore under his breath.

Because of that bastard Danzo, Kasumi hated him and he would never be able to reveal his identity to her.

Then she directed a bit of her anger at Tobi as she said, "And I'm not your pet! I was Madara's clueless possession and I refuse to be owned by anyone ever again!"

Tobi backed up a step and tried to look afraid, but then he yelled, "Okay! Then Kasumi-chan can be Tobi's friend instead!"

Her anger disappeared when she heard she cheerfulness in his tone and she even smiled a bit as she said, "I would like that."

"Is Kasumi-chan hungry? The kitchen is at the faaaaar end of the tunnel!" he offered and she began walking in the direction he had said.

As he was about to follow behind her, Pein appeared from behind the corner and said, "So now all the blame is on you, Madara."

He glared at the orange haired man and said, "Shut up, you're just jealous because Konan shot down your 'romantic' attempt at getting laid."

Pein narrowed his eyes and muttered, "How was I supposed to know she wasn't into torture?"

To be continued...
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm... yes I know I muddled everything up by bringing in this time jump, but bear with me... everything will hopefully explain itself...

But if I hadn't changed the timeline, I wouldn't have been able to include the Akatsuki's and the plot would have been practically non existent...

Any thoughts?