Sequel: Chains

Last Chance

Chapter 3

James

I watched her walk away; I wished I could follow her. Now that was stupid, she was to marry John. I had met a lot of ignorant people but he surpassed them all, he had slept with every woman in the place, maids and all. Well everyone but Lady Grace. The thought of him coming anywhere near her was enough to make me feel ill, she was so innocent, gentle but determined and strong all in one. I knew two things from that moment on, one she was far more extraordinary than anyone else’s suggested. And two I was going to do everything in my power to keep her away from that imbecile John.

Grace

My first dinner was, interesting. My fiancé John is a complete and utter moron. He treats me like a piece of meat; he studies me like I’m one of his prized sheep. His father, William Norris, is different. He treats me with respect, as he should, unlike his son. Sir William had been explaining the family business to me. They own the largest sheep station in southern Victoria; they are also the wealthiest and most respected family in Victoria, maybe the whole of Australia. Mothers dream has come true, her eldest daughter marrying into the wealthiest family in Australia. But I couldn’t stop thinking about the man that saved me; his wink was still making me smile.

James

I watched her through the window, she looked miserable. The more time she spent with him the more upset she got. She tried to hide it like every other proper woman, and she did a good job. It was just her eyes, her beautiful blue eye were the only thing that gave away to the pain that she felt inside. I look away unable to look into those sapphire eyes any longer, I needed a plan. But how I was just a stable hand, a slave, what would someone like her want with a guy like me. Hopelessness washed over me, I looked back once more and see that she was smiling for the first time. Maybe he’s not so horrid after all. Rejected I turn back to the stables, I lay in one of the stalls thinking about her and her beautiful smile, her grace, the misery and hopelessness that burned in her eyes. I needed a plan; I needed to rescue this girl.

Grace

The wedding was two weeks away when we decided to go into town to choose my wedding dress. I had to admit the landscape was beautiful, it appeared wild, unable to be tamed. It was drier than England, The crystal blue sky’s always amazed me, Australia Is truly extraordinary. Willow babbled over my fiancée, saying he was a model of elegance, a true prince. Honestly I couldn’t disagree more; the few times we had spoken he was content talking about himself and the business, and yet I had to marry him.

The wedding dress was truly beautiful, but I felt like screaming when they were zipping up the dress, I wanted to run away from the wedding, from my insane fiancée, run away and become a normal girl who gets to marry someone she loves and roam the Australian landscape, finally free. When we arrived back at the homestead hopelessness had crushed me, I was being pushed into a life I really didn’t want to have. My spirit picked when I saw that man was there waiting outside of the homestead, he must be a worker. In seeing me he walked across the yard and took my hand, to help me down from the carriage. “My lady” he winked at me again. Also like the last time we met a true smile spreads across my face, but when I pull my hand away, I find a note folded up in the palm of my hand I glanced up at him. His smile was mischievous, and utterly beautiful. He leans down and kisses the top of my hand before turning and walking away.