Sequel: Chains

Last Chance

Chapter 4

James

I had written the note the night before, I would not give it to her if she looked happy when she was trying on the dress, If she was happy I would let her go, If not I would give her the note. I watched her in the carriage, she gazed out at the landscape, and she watched the colours and landscape glide past, hope and wonder blaze in those brilliant eyes. But that all disappeared when it came to try on the dress.

The helplessness was back in her eyes, stronger than ever. When they emerged from the dressing rooms they led her to the podium were mirrors surrounded her. The dress was amazing, it must have cost a fortune, and it was the type of dress that little girls dream about. And her in it made my heart jump wildly. Once again she looked perfect, the model of elegance, and the perfect girl from the perfect family. But once again I looked into her eyes; it was the only way to tell what she was really thinking. Her eyes knocked the breath out of me. They looked tortured, the pain in there was heartbreaking, she didn’t want to do this but she would for her family. I knew I was the only person who could save her from herself. I knew that I had to give her the note.

Grace

Later that night when the maids were already dismissed, I read the letter.

Lady Grace,
Meet me at the stables at midnight.
James Lloyd.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost midnight; I knew that it was wrong. He was a worker, someone from a lower class, but I was over the rules, the stupid guidelines so without a second thought I slipped out of my door and headed out to the stables.
I walked into the large stables and saw him sitting on a bale of hay, in seeing me he walked over “you came” he sighed, I looked up into his big brown eyes, the same warm feeling spread through my body. That’s when I realised what love was, even though I hardly knew him something had clicked, for the first time in my life I felt I belonged. “I can’t stop thinking about you” he took a step closer. I knew that it was wrong, I was getting married in two weeks, but I couldn’t walk out of the barn, I couldn’t walk away from the one person I belonged with. He pulled me to an empty stall, patting the place beside him, I sit and we begin talking about everything learning as much as we could about each other, our dreams, our fears. When the sun finally peaked over the sky I knew I had to leave. He kissed my hand good-bye and for a few moments it was if the whole world was finally the right way up.

James

I was pacing around in a circle, what if she didn’t come, what if the loyalty to her family kept her from doing something that wasn’t customary. I sighed and sat on a hay bale and concentrate on my breathing. The sound of soft footsteps made my head snap up. She looked like an angel in the moonlight as she walked into the stables; her blond curls surrounded her face in a halo, wild from being unpinned. She had also changed out of her gown and was wearing underclothes and a night gown.

She had never looked so beautiful. “You came” I murmured but it came out more like a sigh of relief. I gazed down into the eyes that made me realise the pain she was going through, the self sacrifice she had to subject herself to. She was one of the strongest people I knew, she would do whatever she had to do for the people she loved no matter the cost to herself. But even the strongest people need protecting, and she needed my protection, she needed me like I needed her.

Love does funny things to all of us, even the wisest of the wise loose all logical when it comes to love, I shouldn’t have been doing this with someone else’s fiancée, I knew I shouldn’t have been doing this with a woman of such a high class. But as we sat there and talked about everything, about how she was imported from England like some highly priced ewe, about how she longed to be a normal girl, free to be with the one she loved. I knew that they could do what they wanted with me when they found out but it wouldn’t keep me away from her.