City of the Damned

Chapter 12

KELLIES POV

As soon as the bullet hit me, a wave of instant calm rushed through my body. I could feel the cold metal explore my insides. Past my ribs, narrowly missing vital organs. Then straight out of my back. When it shot out, a cold shiver ran down my spine. I felt secure with it inside of my body. I was warm, so very warm. But now the cold reality of what had happened to me, coursed through my head. I had been shot. I don't know who by or what from. I only knew I had been shot.
And that's when the pain began. A voice in my head screamed violently at me, trying to tell me I was in danger, that I needed help. Blood seeped from the wound, but not being visible on my black clothing. I slid to the floor, unaware of the people around me.
'Kellie!' Mikey screamed. But he sounded so far away, distant and quiet. I closed my eyes and smiled as the pain subsided. It was going to be alright. Time seemed to stop, or slow down so much that I forgot everything.
They say that when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. But that didn't happen. Just a synical voice in my head whispering,
'Well, this sucks.'

EBONY'S POV

This was wrong. This was all wrong
I wasn't supposed to be here. These people were dead, but still they moved around freely. My mind refused to acknowledge this fact. Although I had seen the dead walk about, as if they were alive. I didn't think they knew they were dead. Empty shells, being controlled by something bigger, something much bigger than themselves. The creatures that I had seen before, cowered away from me, afraid of looking me in the eye.
What are you doing here? A voice in my head asked, as if curious. But I couldn't answer that question, let alone think about it. It was beyond my knowledge. My mind was slowly being detached from my body. Surgically removed was a better term. Because I knew it was happening and it scared the shit out of me.
I suddenly felt the need for skittles. They always made me feel better. But Emilee still had the bag. And Emilee wasn't here.
'Im here,' came a voice from behind me. I jumped violently, before seeing it was Emilee. That was weird. But right now I couldn't care less.
'What is this place?'[ she asked in awe. I shook my head. Afterall, what did I know?

EMILEE'S POV

A gunshot had being fired. The noise deafened me, but still I carried on running. I had to find Ebony.
I followed the smell of fire. I don't know why, but that was the closest thing that linked me to her. Fire. Well it seemed logical at the time. And I had found her.
'I'm here,' I shouted. I think that gun had screwed up my sense of hearing. Ebony jumped before looking round and relaxing, realising it was me. I noticed my surroundings. We were on a very steep ledge. One step forward and we were over the edge. The walls were made of rough stone, glowing red and burning. Creatures were positioned all the way round the ledge, watching Ebony warily. They were the same as outside. Thick grey fur covered their bodies. Lots of fangs, tinged with blood. They were crouched on all fours.
'What is this place?' I asked, amazed. She simply shook her head and carried on looking at the creatures.
I began to feel very hot, and i lifted my hand to wipe my forehead. All of a sudden, all fifty or so creatures, jumped towards us, claws extended, mouths wide open in a snarl. Ebony raised her hand, just as they were about to rip us to pieces. As they had been jumping over a great big chasm, they all stopped in mid air and began spirraling down. They made no noise, just looked up with fearful eyes. I never heard them hit the bottom. Maybe there wasn't one.

TESS'S POV

Mikey was sobbing hysterically, kneeling over Kellie's fragile body. Her blood stained clothes clung to her and he helplessly picked at them. Tears ran down his cheeks steadily, dripping onto the cold, concrete floor. Gerard came up besides me and wrapped his arms around me. I hung onto him, afraid of letting go. I rested my chin on his shoulder and opened my eyes. I stiffened when I saw what was there. Gerard pulled away from me.
'What's wrong?' he asked, gently stroking my face. I continued to stare at them. He eventually turned round and gasped.
'We gotta get out,' he whispered quietly. 'Mikey, we've gotta go. Come on.' Mikey grabbed hold of Kellie, and refused to let go.
'I'm not leaving without her!' he screamed. He began to rock backwards and forwards, sobbing.
'Mikey! We have got to go! She's dead, you moron, let's go!' Gerard shouted at his brother, then put his hand over his mouth.
'She's not dead,' Mikey replied, cold and calm. Somehow this was worse than him shouting.
'She's not dead. And I will not leave her.' Gerard bowed his head. When he looked up, he had tears in his eyes.
'Then I love you. And I am so sorry.' I frowned at him. What was he talking about. He suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me away, running. And the last thing I heard before I passed out was Mikey's defenceless screams.