City of the Damned

Chapter 14

Ebony's POV

I hit the bottom hard.
'Holy crap!' I exclaimed. The heat was intense, rolling over me, making sweat drip from my forehead. I remembered the things I had said to Frank, and immediately felt guilty. I couldn't remember why I had said those things. Was it even me?
I clambered unsteadily to my feet, shaking all the while. From pain, hunger, shock and fear. I realised in that instant that I was afraid. It clouded my thoughts, making it hard to think straight. The place I had landed was pitch black, so I couldn't see where I was. Or what was around me. That managed to scare me even more.
I fumbled around in the dark, my fingers brushing against cobwebs. But that was the least of my worries. I was more concerned about what I was feeling now.
It was cold, but wet, slimy to the touch, and it smelt sour, like gone off milk. It wasn't liquid though, more like goo, with strands of hair protruding from it. I gasped when they began to wrap around me, their grip becoming tighter and tighter. I tried to scream, but my voice wouldn't work. My efforts were useless against their strong hold. They slithered up my arms steadily, finally reaching my throat. They circled it, tickling me. But I didn't laugh.
Waves of fear washed through me. I couldn't breath, I couldn't move. I was paralysed by hairs.
The strangled scream I heard next wasn't my own. It was a womans, but no one I had ever heard before. I tried to pull away from the the thing. But it laughed and carried on choking me.
My God, it laughed!. It was human. Or it was alive. No, I knew that already. It was moving and that was all that mattered. I suddenly realised my legs were free. I kicked out at it, causing it to cry out in pain. It loosened it's grip and I struggled away, running as fast as I could, away from the hellish thing behind me. I still couldn't see. I cursed loudly when I ran into a wall. I fell backwards, cracking my arm on the cold, concrete floor. I shouted in pain and blacked out.

ok next chapter in 2 secs, won't be long!