City of the Damned

Chapter 6

I felt out of place as we drove in the SUV through Chicago. Tess and Kellie were talking in quiet voice, Gerard was sharpening a knife, Mikey was fast asleep on his brother's shoulder and Caz was flicking through her phone.
Frank was sat quietly, looking at his hands. Now that i thought about it, he did look pretty damn scared. Well, so was i. I had no idea what we were doing.
'Hadn't you better wake Mikey up, Gerard?' i asked.
He smiled at his baby brother. 'No, the rides pretty long. And with coffee, he'll wake up in no time.'
'How long exactly?'
'Well, we've being driving for about half an hour already, so probably another hour.' I sighed softly.
'Boring, ain't it,' Frank whispered, his breath tickling my ear. I fought a strong urge not to giggle. I didn't want to wake Mikey.
'I'm gonna get some sleep. Can i switch places with you?' he asked.
'Why?' I was sat next to Gerard.
'Cos i wanna get some sleep.' I was slightly confused by this, but swapped anyway. Frank rested his head on Gerard's shoulder and closed his eyes.
'What am i, a pillow?' he mumbled.
'Yep,' replied Frank, and got himself comfy. 'Move your arm, please?' Gerard lifted his arm and Frank cuddled up next to him. Gerard shook his head and put his arm over his shoulder. I smiled. They all looked so cute.
I turned to talk to the two girls. They both smiled at the three men, cuddled up together.
'Frank's trying to steal my boyfriend,' Tess giggled.
'Well it's just 'cos he's so irresistable,' Frank muttered. Gerard batted his eyelashes.
'Why Frank, your making me blush!'

It began to rain, soon after. Gerard, Frank and Mikey were fast asleep. Tess, Kellie and i were talking about something or other. To tell the truth i wasn't actually paying any attention, whatsoever. I was thinking about the peculiar circumstances. Ok, besides the obvious. Why had they let me come with them? I mean, i just happened to turn up on their doorstep (figuritively speaking) and they accepted me straight away? I'm sorry, but for me, that simply made no sense. I took a deep breath and looked out of the window. Then wished i hadn't. A large, hunched up creature was leaning over a young man, no older than me. The creature had ripped most of his insides out, but the man was still alive. He moaned in agony as his ribs were crushed, and his organs were ripped from his body. I almost threw up. This was just too much to cope with. I'd had enough.