City of the Damned

Chapter 7

'Hey Wolfie,' Bob hugged Kellie tight. She smiled at him.
'You look exhausted. Are you sure your ok?'
'I'll live, i suppose. Who's the new kid?' he asked looking at me. I smiled slightly at him. He smiled back. He seemed nice. Short blonde hair, a beard and a lip ring. He was quite well built. Not the sort of guy you want to mess with.
'This is Ebony. She's new.'
New to what? I thought. Bob nodded, then went to stop Frank from breaking a very expensive looking vase.
The house we were in was gigantic. Floor to ceiling windows, chandeliers, the works. Tess say me looking at the decor.
'Impressive, ain't it?'
I nodded, mesmerised by the strange wall hangings. I couldn't quite make out the picture. I went closer for a better look.
'Gross,' i muttered. It was a picture of a man decapitating somethings head. Note i say something not someone. It definately didn't look human. It's head was elongated like a crocodiles, and the body was covered in hair. Head to toe. Long canines were just visible. Blood covered it's eyes and mouth. Then i realised it had no eyes. Just empty sockets. What pleasant dreams i'll have tonight, i thought.
Another man came downstairs. He had a dark hair, in the style of an afro. He carried multiple guns in his hands. He threw one to me.
'Uh, sorry, there seems to be some mistake. I don't shoot people. Especially not today. I was planning on sitting down and watching Disney films or something,' i handed the gun back.
'You'll need it,' he said simply.
'For what? I've already told you i'm not shooting anything. One, it's barbaric and two, i've no idea how.'
'You don't know how to shoot a gun?' Kellie asked, curiously.
'Why should i? What am i an assasin? Look i work for a magazine company. I don't do guns.'
'Well, you might have to start,' Gerard muttered. 'Looks like we've got company.' He crouched down on the floor and nodded at the window. Although it was dark, i could see the silouette of a woman, moving towards the window.
'What the hell?' i whispered, to no one in particular. No one answered anyway. The thing came forward further, then stopped abruptly, outside of the window. She paused a minute, then lifted her arm back, and slammed it straight into the window.
Shards of glass flew everywhere. I shut my eyes, to stop glass getting in them. I heard a gunshot, then a murmur from whatever it was that came through the window.
I opened my eyes and looked, to see the body of the floor. Out of pure curiousity, i walked over to her. She was lying face down. For some, strange, twisted reason, i wanted to see what her face looked like. Instinct, i guess. I grabbed hold of her shoulder and rolled her over.
'Oh my fucking God!' I screamed. The woman's face was writhing with maggots. They squirmed from her eyes and mouth and fell to the carpet. You could barely tell what she looked like. But i could. The maggots weren't the reason i screamed. It was the fact that the dead woman lying on the floor, maggots crawling over her skin, was my mother.