There's No Turning Back

Fire Escape Plan

We drove down the streets, searching for any sign of an empty warehouse. David held onto my hand while his other hand steered the automobile; he occasionally gave me reassuring glances and squeezes to the hand. We searched in silence, as I nervously fidgeted with my hands and constantly talked to myself.

"Who would do this?" I asked quietly to myself, my voice trembling with the tears held inside of me, "But why to me? Why is it aimed specifically towards me?" I whispered to myself desperately as David shot me a sympathetic look. His thumb ran softly over my knuckles.

"It'll be all right; tonight is gonna end fine," he tried to reassure me but in my opinion, it didn't sound all that convincing.

"But what if it doesn't?" I looked at him broken heartedly.

He took his eyes off the road and set them on me, as the streets became less filled with other cars, "Then I will do whatever it takes to get those two girls back," he said as he pulled over to the sidewalk, placing the car in park, "Whoever's doing this, I won't let them get away with it," he spoke softly, pulling me into a tight, comforting hug.

I nodded, shakingly inhaling and exhaling deeply through the mouth as I closed my eyes, burying my head softly into his chest. I felt him place his lips softly on my temple, and then lay his chin on the top of my head. The hug lasted for a few minutes before I slowly pulled away and he shifted the car gear back into drive.

"It must be around here," David said softly as the road became isolated from the city streets.

There were rarely any other cars and only a few street lights were on. Other stores and restaurants around were either closed or empty of costumers because it wasn't as popular as those in the city. Most buildings were deserted and some were still developing, hoping to rebuild and repopulate this part of the town.

"Should we call the police?" I asked but he shook his head.

"Calling the cops now can scare away the kidnapper with the girls; this could end peacefully or not. We can call the police when something serious happens --"

"This is serious!" I cried.

"That includes real threats." he finished after I had interrupted him. Sighing, I nodded my head and looked back out the front window.

"Is that it?" I asked, pointing to a big building that stuck out from all the other small, little ones. It was dark and empty; some windows were broken and others held residues from the dried-up water molecule. The lights in the parking lot were old - constantly flicking on and off.

He nodded, "It must be." We turned into the parking lot, which contained only one other car.

"I don't like this place one bit," I whimpered, shaking in fear as he lightly chuckled.

"Who would?"

"Creeps who likes to play in the dark." He shrugged and drove around until we reached a patch of darkness near the building.

I gasped when I saw a figure standing under a dim light, near the side of the building. Immediately, I flung the car door open and ran out before the car came to a full stop. I heard David call after me through my open door but I ignored him, running towards the single patch of light.

I smiled inwardly to myself in relief when Cheyenne and Annie came into my site, unharmed, but my running stopped when I was near their capturer.

"Well damn you to hell." I muttered, squinting my eyes at him.

"How lovely; it's about time you came," Bud smirked, with his arms crossed across his chest, "Too busy being with your boyfriend to care about your kids?"

Cheyenne stood behind him, trying to shrink herself and hold onto Annie who had calmed down her hysterical crying. Just seeing them like that makes me want to break into a fit of hysterics myself.

"No, I came as soon as I can." I answered, furrowing my brows together, "But what about you? Too busy sulking over you old love life that you have to go and put your own children in danger?"

"Maybe," he shrugged, "But I assure you darling, your kids are not in danger." he showed off a crooked smile and I half-sighed in relief to myself, "if," he went on and I tightened my fist into a ball, "You come back to me."

"Why won't you give up?" I whispered, "Why risk two lives that you brought into this world, for someone that will never love you back?" I said, loudly enough for him to hear. "What happened with us, stays with us. There's no need to involve anyone else."

'Just come back to me, please,' I read his lips as he silently pleaded but I held my posture. I shook my head, signaling that I declined his plead - but I regretted ever doing so.

In a flash, he hooked his forearm around Cheyenne's neck and forcefully pulled her towards him. In a quick motion, she let out a shrill cry as he whips out a small firearm from, what I guess, was the back pocket of his pants. Annie gave out a cry and ran in front of him, tugging at his pants in attempt to let her older sister go.

"Let her go!" she pounded her tiny fists on his legs, sobbing harder as he pushed her away with his leg, "Let her go!" she cried out again.

"Where's that little boyfriend of yours now?" he asked, "Why be with someone that can't even be here for you when your family's in danger?"

"I told you; leave him out of it. He has no business in this," I replied to him, looking at Cheyenne helplessly. I was afraid to go after her; afraid that he might pull the trigger. I was afraid to pull out my cell phone and call the police, worrying that he will definitely hurt someone for sure.

"Oh, but he very well does when he drove you all the way here." he chuckled lowly.

"Bud," I groaned out desperately, "Can't we just work something out?"" I was near the verge of tears again, my hands beginning to shake from anger and fear.

| David's P.O.V. |

I watched as Lianne ran out of the car and towards the side of the building. I got out of the car and was about to close the door to run after her when I heard a someone scream. Recognizing the voice as Cheyenne's, I quickly rushed back into the car, not bothering to pull the door closed.

I pulled out my cell phone and dialed the police station, instantly getting a response. Quickly telling them the problem and the address, I rushed out the car once again.

I creeped along the side of the building in the dark, getting close to them but to the point where I wouldn't get caught. I listened to them as they spoke.

Annie was crying hysterically and I could just tell by the sound of Lianne's voice that she was near breaking down. I looked around helplessly, trying to find anything to do to help out this situation as she tried to convince him to set the girls free. My breathing got heavier as I continued to look around, listening as he began to talk to me.

He was right; who was I to bring her here and just leave her there as I stand here, listening in?

I strained my eyes against the darkness and looked in a direction opposite of where they were. I ran as I saw a fire escape that leaded to above where they were.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's the Broken Hearts Parade;