There's No Turning Back

Deep Sleep

The young male doctor rubbed the nape of his neck with the palm of his hands, "It's very fortunate that the paramedics got him here in time. It turns out that the gun bullet had barely missed his heart, though it pierced through it quite a bit - nothing severe." he smiled a bit, as though the suspense would lighten up the atmosphere. We urged him to continue on with skeptic looks, knowing that there's more to come.

"There was a massive amount of blood loss - he almost didn't make it, to tell you the truth. He flat lined once..." he trailed off hesitantly, watching as my heart sank lower into the pit of my stomach. "We were able to revive him and he's fine now, but apparently, it seemed like he had fallen into a coma."

My head jerked up towards him as did everyone else's. I stared at him with wide eyes as Nicolette spoke up, "What do you mean he's 'fallen into a coma'? How long will it be before he wakes up?"

The doctor sighed and shrugged, "It could be a few days, weeks, a month.... no one knows for sure. But I suspect no more than a few days or weeks."

What a way to make a group of people feel better...

He looked around at all of us, "We don't normally allow this but seeing your reactions, I'll allow you to go see him now - only a few at a time though, okay?" he asked and we all nodded.

We got up and walked past him, muttering 'thanks' on the way. We waited for the elevator doors to open. Once it did, I heard him faintly shout down the hallway after us, "Eleventh floor you guys."

"What floor?" Jeff asked, poising his finger above a button, ready to press anything on command.

"Eleven." I told him, leaning back against the cold metal. "Who or what group slash pair is gonna go in first?" I asked, hooking my arm around Cheyenne's neck and pulling her towards me playfully. She resorted to poking me on the side to loosen my grip on the headlock I got her in. "I nominate Pierre," I smiled innocently.

"I second that nomination," Jeff raised his hand up and Pierre rolled his eyes, shaking his eyes as he removed his arm from Lexi's waist and folded them across his chest.

"This is so unfair." he huffed just as the elevator came to a stop and the door opened. We all walked over to yet, another row of chairs, sitting down at them and encouraged Pierre and Lexi to go in, effortlessly. They frowned at us and turned around, walking down the hallway; they took random guesses at where David's room was before officially disappearing into one room.

"So," Sebastian sat down next to me, hunching over so that his elbows rested on his knees and his hands were clasped together.

"Yes?" I asked him innocently, sitting back and pulling my jacket closer to my body for warmth.

"What do you think of all this - all that has happened today?"

"Well," I sighed, fixing my posture into a straight one, "It all feels so surreal. I keep thinking that this is all a dream; that I'll wake up one day and David will just be there, lying next to me." I sighed. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and finally let out a yawn, blinking as my eyes began to become slightly soaked in tired tears.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. I thought back to all the times where I could've prevented all of this - back to the times where I should've taken the chance and called the police on him. I thought back to the good times David and I had, how I was stupid enough to let him get himself involved in all of this.

Why can't Bud have just been happy with what had happened in the past, let it go, and move on? He obviously had already, so why fall back to me?

This is worse than some stupid, affair drama.

"Lianne, it's your turn - Icalledit!" Pierre's voice found its way through my thoughts and I looked up, seeing him rush down the hallways with Lexi trailing slowly behind him; nurses stuck their heads out of the rooms they were accompanying in and shushed after him. He briskly walked over and sat down next to me, looking around awkwardly as he tried to push me up to make a move.

"You're so immature." I shook my head at him and he shrugged back.

"You're one to talk."

"You're one to talk." I mimicked him in a high tone and stood up, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my jacket. I scuffed my shoes and walked down the hall to the room that I had seen Pierre and Lexi come out of; I didn't bother asking anyone else to come with me since I knew very well that they wouldn't want to anyway.

I turned left into a room, shutting the door behind me and looking around to see a nurse collecting her stuff together before walking out. She nodded her head at me in a greeting as we locked eyes; I moved to the side to allow her to leave.

I walked slowly over to the bed where David laid, still and nearly lifeless aside from his steady breathing. I took my left hand out of my pockets and lightly ran it across the white blanket that covered his body as I slowly neared the head of the bed. My hand stopped at his chest and felt as it raised up and down along to the beat of his movements. I moved my hand up to wipe away the pieces of black hair that lay messily across his forehead.

I chuckled lowly to myself and pulled a chair over, taking a seat next to the bed. Resting my elbows on the edge of the bed and leaning all my weight on it, I took his left hand into my own, playing with his fingers.

"You're so stupid sometimes." I whispered to him, finally resting my head down on his forearm and allowing the tears to leak through my closed eyelids.