There's No Turning Back

Time on Our Hands

Jamie stopped in front of me, panting and out of breath - probably from sprinting all the way over here with a little toddler tagging along. She grabbed onto both of my shoulders with her arms, still trying to catch her breath, "David." she breathed out and my own breathing started to quicken in a panic.

"What about David?" I questioned, gripping onto her own shoulders, feeling Annie latch onto my right leg. I can feel her breathing against my leg, trying to calm her breathing down.

"J-Just -- you just have to get there," she rushed out, pulling me in front of her, facing the direction that she had just come from and started to push me forward, "The doctor and nurses are in there now."

[[ Rewind Back A Bit; 3rd POV ]]

After Lianne had left the room, Jamie sat in silence with Annie, watching as the little girl stared out the window and at the ground filled with people walking out on the streets. She took a glance at the clock on the wall, seeing that it was only one in the after noon. Glancing back at the little toddler beside her, something caught her eye.

She watched slowly, looking intently at the body that laid on the bed. The pale and once-lifeless hand twitched - a spasm running up and down the slender arm in contractions. The hand slowly balled into a fist and Jamie's eyes grew wide as her arms unconsciously slowly wrapped themselves around Annie's thin waist, bringing her in close.

She watched the face cautiously as their eyebrow pulled together into a V-fence line. Her breath was caught in her throat as she waited - waited for anymore of the progression that she wished to see. A pair of eyes slowly opened, trying to adjust their eyesight to the blinding, bright watt lights that seemed to occupy every inch of the hospital building.

Annie squealed and Jamie released a gasp, jumping up and out of her seat. She flew out the door and down the many flights of stairs as quick as she can to the cafeteria, where Lianne waited.

[[ Lianne's POV ]]

We ran down the hallway and waited outside of the elevators - now, worn out from running. We waited impatiently until a spare elevator finally made its way down to our floor. The moment the doors open, we pushed our way in - trying to fit into the elevator that was crowded with other people going to different levels. We hurriedly pushed the button for the doors to close without waiting to see if anyone else wanted to get on or off.

My foot tapped impatiently as my eyes watched the level numbers change slowly, one at a time. It seemed like an eternity before level eleven came. The doors creaked open and we all jumped out, gasping an air of relief from the lack of oxygen - it was beyond claustrophobic in an overfilled elevator with barely any air vents.

I felt Jamie lay a hand on the crook of my elbow and lead me down a few rooms, speed-walking. She didn't dare run down the porcelain tiled floor with doctors and security guards as witnesses. Finally, we reached a room that now seemed to be vacant with the exception of a doctor and a nurse roaming around, going through procedures.

I gasped at the sight of David lying in bed, eyes open with a small smile that consumed a portion of his pale face. His smile grew a fraction larger, exposing his teeth as he held his arms out to me. My legs moved unconsciously from underneath me, carrying me towards him quickly.

My eye sight blurred and I felt my lips purse together into a thin, hard line as I struggled to keep myself from having an outburst of tears. But the moment the feeling of his skin touched mine as I wrapped my arms around his neck, tears started leaking out. One of his rough hands patted the small of my back, the other rubbing up and down my back.

I loosened my grip hold around him reluctantly as I felt him withdraw lightly and wince in pain at the sudden impact. After losing him for what seemed for such a long amount of time, I didn't want to let go of him again; all I wanted was to feel his warm body heat against mine - snuggle with him and have him hold me in his arms, keeping me warm.

"Shh, stop crying Lianne," I heard him softly whisper into my ear as I softly cried into his shoulder. His left hand came up through my back and rested on the back of my neck, his fingers partially threading through my blonde hair. He continued to rub the back of my neck comfortingly, continuously leaving small kisses near the cartilage of my ear and the side of my head.

I slowly began to pull away, sniffling as I felt his thumb instantly fly to wipe the tear stains under my eyes. I felt my eyes grow slightly red and I could tell that the tip of my nose was pink as well, due to the crying and ice cold air. I knew I didn't look my best, but at the moment, who would even care?

I smiled sheepishly yet happily as he smiled back at me, "Hey." he greeted me, pulling me in to kiss my cheek. His lips were cold, burning against my flushed cheek due to the lack of warmth he's been provided.

"Hey yourself sleepyhead." I smirked playfully, moving so that I sat with my legs tucked underneath me on his bedside. We both looked up as we heard papers rustling; the doctor and nurse was getting ready to leave, but not before giving me a brief smile and nodding. He knew that I'd fill David in on all the information, so that they didn't need to.

"You cold?" I asked him shortly after they left, pulling his blanket up near his shoulder and fluffing the pillow.

"I'll be fine." he retreated back underneath the blanket, pulling up to his chin with a small smile.

I rolled my eyes, "No you're not; you've gotten somewhat weak Dave." I stated the truth, removing my puff jacket vest from my body and placed it around him, in which he gladly shrugged it on correctly. I now sat on his bedside, exposed to the chilly air in only my black long sleeve. He extended his arms out to my hands, begging me for my gloves. I sighed and removed them, "Sure, just strip me of my warmth." I said, a hint of a giggle coming up in my voice.

"You can always share the warmth with me," he pouted, reaching out for me but a little pair of footsteps stopped me from following up on his offer. Annie ran in and struggled to climb on to the bed.

"Daddy!" she exclaimed as she hopped into his open, welcoming arms. My body tensed up, hoping he didn't catch what she said. But sadly, not everything goes the way you want.

"Hey kiddo." he smiled down at her, then looked back up at me with an incredulous smile and a raised eyebrow. I smiled sheepishly, before scolding at her.

"Anne,' I sighed, "How many times have I told you --"

"No no no." David interrupted me, his incredulous smile turned into a grin, "I don't mind at all."

I felt my face brighten as my body perked up straight, "Really?" I stated, more than questioned, and he nodded enthusiastically, looking down at the girl that was still hugging tightly onto him around the abdomen.

"David!" Jamie squealed, skipping into the room and throwing herself onto him just as I once did, letting go and squealed once again, holding onto his arms as she did small hops in place. "How are you feeling - We missed you so much!" I giggled as he chuckled, patting her hands.

"I'm feeling great actually --"

"Good," she clapped her hands together excitedly, "I called the guys and they're on their way - I'll go down and wait for them." she ran out the door.

"Someone's happy," I heard David mutter, trying to keep down a laugh at her sudden energy increase.

"Yeah," I laugh, "I think everyone is." I said softly, taking his hand in mine.

He looked up at me, his eyes soft with emotions, "How long has it been?" he hesitated to ask, his hand rubbing on Annie's shoulder.

"A little over a month." I answered his question softly as he laid in thought.

"It doesn't seem long."

"But it felt forever when you have such an impact on everyone's lives." I smiled down at him as he looked down.

"So, exactly, what happened?" he asked.