There's No Turning Back

Need of Assistance

I checked myself over in the mirror, making sure my bleached blonde and brown hair stayed in place through the spring air. I pulled down my quarter sleeve, plain white v-neck shirt and re-adjusted my black, pinstripe vest. I made sure that everything was appropriate - my jeans tucked neatly into my boots, my makeup wasn't smeared or too heavy. Nothing was out of place.

There was a meeting at work today- which could possibly mean a promotion, in which I'm in desperate need of. I just might be able to help edit the magazine and still have my photographs in there.

I dug underneath the bed and pulled out a padded bag, stuffing my laptop, cords, and such inside. I grabbed my backpack, filled with papers, and slung it over one shoulder along with the shoulder bag that contained my laptop.

I ran downstairs and placed the bags down by the door before going back into the kitchen where I found David and Cheyenne sitting at the table. They were quiet when I entered, but I ignored it and went over to the refrigerated where I poured myself some apple juice.

"How's your heart, honey?" I asked David, glancing over at him - just to get rid of the silence. I caught him rolling his eyes in Cheyenne's direction.

"I'm fine." he replied like a little child answering a question he had answered a million times before by his mother. He stuck his tongue out at me.

"I'm only asking because I care." I shrugged defensively, turning over towards the sink to rinse out of my glass. It has only been three weeks since David comes home and I just wanted everything to be alright. "Anyways, what are you two doing today?" I questioned them but they only shrugged. "Are you just staying home?" I asked slowly but they shrugged once again.

I stood there, leaning against the sink for a few minutes, waiting for them to say anything- just anything. But that never happened. They sat still and stared at each other, as though they were having a private, mental conversation without me.

I scoffed, "You guys are boring." I pushed myself to stand up straight. "I'm leaving." I announced and made my way over to the door, retrieving my bags. I locked the door behind me; my boots clicking against the stone that made up the apartment's floor level. I heard laughter erupt from inside - just audible if you were standing right next to the door like I was.

"I thought she'd never leave." I heard David gasp out and I frowned, curious. Why did they want me to leave so badly?

"Yeah, well, she's gone now-" I heard Cheyenne say, pausing to let out another giggle, and then continued, "So stop laughing so that you can actually work on this." Work on what? What were they even talking about.

I decided to shrug it off and leave whatever they had to do, up to them. I'm nearly late for work; I can't stay behind any longer.

|| David's P.O.V. ||

"So, do you think this will work?" I asked Cheyenne hesitantly, shoving the object aside on the table, resting my arms on the table top. "Do you think she'll want to?"

She rolled her eyes, "I don't think so; I mean, you're like, only her knight in shining armor coming along to rescue her." she said sarcastically, making some random arm movements to make her statement seem big.

"How ironic." I muttered at her last statement, resting my chin in the palm of my hand to prop my head up. "Be serious kid."

"Fine," she laughed, "She'll want to. I think you're just what she's waiting for." she nodded, smiling. I nodded too, looking down at my free hand that was drawing invisible patterns on the tabletop.

A smile began to slowly appear on my face. "Thanks for your help, Chey. I'm glad you're okay with this." I grinned at her and she grinned back, pushing the object back to my side of the table.

"No problem, Dad. Good luck." she got up enthusiastically and headed back towards her room. I continued to sit there by myself, staring out at the street below with a smile that seemed to have glued itself to my face.

It was finally happening, and I had never thought that Cheyenne would be so accepting. You'd think that she'd be annoyed with me by now and would want anything but this. It was only an added bonus since Annie was eager to accept way before anything had even happened.

The only thing missing now are Lianne's words.

I got up, stuffing the small object back into the pocket of my jacket and walked out of the kitchen, a slight skipping in my steps. I only had little time to get everything ready - and there wasn't much to do. I guess I only really need the time to mentally prepare myself.