There's No Turning Back

Make It Last Forever

I stared out at the dark night, looking up at the bright moon that brightened the night. It was about 8:30 - close to nine; it was fairly dark out. We had just finished dinner and now, decided to stop by the beach. Sure, it was cold out in a plain black dress without a jacket, but what affect could it have on me at the moment?

The night was just perfect; a little chilly wind can't ruin it for me.

I tried to ignore the swinging motion of the cart that we sat in on the ferris wheel, filled with other people chatting around us. I focused on the warmth of David's body as he held me close and I laid my head on his shoulder, gazing up at the stars. I tried to ignore the haze that surrounded my brain, threatening to make me slip into sleep. But I refused to, and resisted; I didn't want to end this night so early.

"Are you cold?" David's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I tilted my head up, looking at him. It took me a while to answer, due to the foggy cloud around my thoughts that caused his sudden words to process slowly through my brain. I let out an accidental 'huh?' and he took my response as a positive.

He released his arms around me and shrugged off his jacket, placing it around my shoulders. He re-wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. I could do nothing more than mutter out a quiet 'thanks', adjusting the jacket and snuggling into him. I started to feel the lack of feelings in my legs and the tip of my fingers, signaling that I was soon to fall asleep.

I forced myself to form words, "How about we go to the park?" I asked him softly, not bothering to look up. I just wanted to get off, away from this rocking motion, and move around.

"You seem tired; don't you want to go home?" he questioned, concerned but I shook my head. "Okay, let's go." he removed his arm from around me and took my hand as he stood up. We were just nearing the bottom and he got off first, helping me also as I struggled to keep my balance, trying to get used to having the feeling come back to my legs and walking in heels.

My legs felt like liquid underneath me as I tried to walk properly beside him with the help of his arm around my waist. It was a few blocks walk to the park, and I think he had the feeling that my legs probably wouldn't make it that far - especially in heels.

"Here; hop on." he pulled me to a stop and got in front of me with his back facing towards me. He got down on one knee and waited for me to mount on to his back. I did so, and wrapped my arms softly around his neck, not wanting to suffocate him as he got back up into a standing position. I rested my head back on his shoulder, resisting the urge to close my eyes.

"I just don't understand." I heard him mumble and I raised my head.

"Don't understand what?" I spoke softly into his ear, still somewhat in a state of unconsciousness.

"How women can wear heels all day like that; why can't you just wear some flats or somethin'?" he let out an airy laugh and I shrugged to myself.

"That's like asking why do men always wear pants? Can't you wear a dress or somethin'?" I mocked him, feeling the need to let out a giggle.

"Haha; very funny." he said sarcastically and I clicked my tongue.

"Don't ruin the night, David." I told her and went back to resting my head on his shoulder.

"Yes ma'am." he seemed to have picked up his pace and I felt the slight bounce in his footsteps. It was quiet for a few minutes but then he spoke again, "We're here." he announced and I raised my head, looking around. I felt a surge of excitement run through me - like the light feeling of an adrenaline rush, suddenly coming to you - and I hopped off his back.

Stopping for a moment, I took off my heels quickly. I held them in between my fingers as I ran over to the set of swings that sat before us. I threw them into the sand, not caring if they got dirty, and sat on one of the seats. I instantly began pushing myself. I smiled to myself upon feeling the wind move against me as I swung with force; I grinned up at David, who was walking slowly towards me, laughing to himself.

I slowed down to a stop just as he stood in front of me. I smiled innocently up at him, "Can you push me, please?" I asked in a high tone filled with hope and he shook his head; a grin began to spread across his face.

"How about, you get up and let me sit down. Then, you can sit on me, and I push the both of us. Hm?" he suggested thoughtfully and I nodded, hopping off the black, nonplastic-like seat. He sat down and patted his lap, where I sat in and held onto his waist as one of his arms rested around me and the other gripped onto the steel chain.

His legs moved underneath me, moving us back and forth quite a bit. It was silent and I decided to strike up a conversation, starting by complimenting his efforts to make tonight happen. "This is certainly a wonderful night." I tilted my head up towards him and planted a light kiss along his jaw line while he was busy staring up at the stars.

He seemed startled and looked down at me, "Really?" he questioned; his eyes were soft and seemed hopeful for my answer.

I nodded, "You did a wonderful job." he smiled and kissed the side of my head before looking away. A slight tint of pink was visible along his cheekbone through the dark night. I bit the inside of my bottom lip in order to strain myself against the fit of giggles that threatened to come up and spill out of my mouth.

His body was tense and his heart raced against my chest; he was constantly staring off and silent. It was very un-David-like; I suspected that something was running through him, and it must've take courage if his heart rate is beating this fast. I figured that it'd be rude and spoil the moment if I giggled or laughed at the pink tint on his face.

"What's up David?" I whispered, concerned when the silence lasted for about five minutes or so, and he remained still as a statue. He exhaled, letting go of the breath that he seemed to have held in when I spoke up. I glanced up at him, seeing him contemplative. He sighed and finally looked at me. I raised my eyebrow in questioning, waiting for him to give me an answer.

He lowered his head and placed a kiss on my temple, leaving his face next to mine. I stared down at my bare toes, where they wriggled at the feeling of having the cold air flow in between them. "You're not making this any easier for me." he silently laughed out.

"How so?" I asked in confusion, unsure of how I was making it difficult for him. "How am I making this difficult?"

"It's just you. You're making me nervous."

"Am I that intimidating?" I pulled away from his face and stared at him incredulously, "What is it that you're planning here, mister?"

"Okay that made it all the more difficult," his hand pulled my head back against him as he chuckled, "I can't even do this the right way anymore."

"Do what the right way?" I softly demanded. I felt his chest shake with laughter as he stopped swinging us and held onto me tightly. I felt him lay his chin on top of my head and sigh one more time.

"Telling you that I love you with everything I've got and telling you how much you mean the world to me. Trying to say all these other mushy stuff the right way like how other men would do it." I chuckled along with him and shook my head.

"Why would it matter if you do it the right way or not?" I glanced up at him, "I love it more when it's the Desrosiers way." his face broke out into a smile as he stared down at me.

"Then why don't I just skip all that stuff; will you marry me?" he simply asked and I smiled, feeling the urge to resist another fit of giggles. He reached into one of the pockets of his jacket that I was still wearing, and pulled out a small square, velvet box. I was surprised that I didn't notice it in the pocket. He pulled the box open to reveal a small, simple silver band, with a diamond in the middle and two other ones on either side of it.

I let out an airy giggle, feeling a rush of emotions hit me; tears came to my eyes as I reflected back at what he must've felt a few moments ago. I looked up at him and answered 'Of course' before pulling his collar down and colliding my lips against his.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's the end; but stay tuned. There's still a few more [alternate] parts :]