There's No Turning Back

Glad You're Still Here

David and I slowed down our pace to a walking pace. I started to fall behind as David walked in front of me. I started to observe the things that surrounded us. Broken glass was all over the ground, Blood spilled from inside the car and stained the pavement, and yellow police ribbon lines crossed here and there. The night sky seemed dark and gloomy, the air filled with cries of the torn family.

I glanced at one of the police cars and inside, I saw one of the shooters, who looked at me with cold eyes and I ran up to David, walking closely beside him. He was walking towards the family and the police officer.

The officer must've heard us come because he turned around and looked straight at us, proceeding to ask us questions, "Have you two witnessed any of this?" he asked.

I shook my head and I heard David take a gulp before answering him respectively, "No sir - well, we did but we didn't witness what happened to the car." he looked at him nervously, "What happened?"

The officer sighed and rubbed his forehead, "The family here says that they were driving by the shooting and the next thing they knew, multiple objects - bullets - hit the side of their left windows and shattered it. One passenger was hit and died instantly." the family cried harder at hearing this. "Now, what did you two see?"

Tears sprung to my eyes and I pulled my sleeves over my hands. I placed my hands palm in palm and raised them to my lips, biting at my thumbs. David glanced over his shoulders and looked directly at me with eyes that had seemed to lose their playful touch.

"We were caught in the middle of it," he answered, slowly pulling his gaze away from me.

"What do you mean son?" the officer questioned, lifting up the notepad that he had been previously laid down by his side after talking to the family. He set his hand - equipped with a pen - on the notepad, ready to record down anything that David was to tell him.

"We were walking down this road --"

"And what were you two doing walking down the road at this time of night?"

"Umm, we were going to get something warm to drink," David answered uncertainly, probably wondering why the officer would be so interested, "So we were walking when all of a sudden Lianne hears something. Then, the next thing we knew, there were gun fires from behind us, going past us --"

"To the opposing opponent who was ahead of you?"

"Yeah, I guess." David nodded and stayed quiet, trying to think of something more to say.

"Is that all son?" the officer raised his eyebrows.

David nodded again, seeming baffled, "Besides for the fact that we were nearly hit several times, y-yes." The officer thanked us and turned his back to us, starting to walk away. I frowned a bit and slowly ran after him, tapping slightly on his shoulder to get his attention.

"Excuse me," I got his attention, "But is there something that we can do?" he shook his head and got back to his little notepad, "Well, is there anyway for us to know how things turn out; or how the victim's condition gets. . ." my sentence trailed off as the officer shook his head again. The look on his face whenever he turns to look at me clearly says that he's annoyed with all of our questioning and curiosity; he brushed me off as though I was never there in the first place.

I huffed out a big breath in exasperation, raising both of my arms and then dropping them back down to my sides, letting them slap against my thighs noisily. I felt an arm snake around my shoulder and I saw David come up next to me, gently rubbing up and down my arm comfortingly.

"I just want to at least know how the person's doing - if he'll get better," I somberly said.

"Don't let this get you down," David whispered, "It wasn't your fault." I stayed quiet and I felt him stare at my face out of the corner of my eyes, a soft smile playing on his lips. Guilt washed over me slowly - which, it usually does whether it was my fault or not; it always shows up and just makes me feel sad and bad about the whole thing. Always; no matter what negative situation happens.

"Lets get back to the bus," David checked his watch, "It's almost 1 : 30; it's been a long night." he started to lead me back to the bus and I nodded, my legs automatically moving to catch up with his pace.

♥ - ♥ - ♥

I stood outside and clutched my jacket closer around my body while I was waiting for David to unlock and open the bus door. "Finally!" he groaned and kicked the door open, standing aside for me to get on first.

I breathed out a thanks as I got onboard and out of the chilly wind. My eyes suddenly got droopy and tired as the warm air of the bus' interior met with my face.

"Why were you guys out so late?" I heard Pierre ask and I glanced at his direction where most of the people that was with us on tour was sitting - in the living room / lounge area. I saw a little smirk grow on Sebastian's face and I rolled my eyes. I stood in one place and shook my head; exhaustion began to take over me and a scowl look took over my face.

I heard a bottle of water open from behind me and soon, David had joined us in the room. Behind David's back, I saw Ashleigh throw me a look - a nasty look that teenagers give when they're trying to throw invisible daggers at someone. I silently groaned to myself and turned around swiftly on my heels, marching back to where the bunk area was but quietly. I knew well that Annie was back here sleeping, somewhere.

I found my bunk and plopped down face first on it after taking my jacket and boots off. I was filled with sadness from today's earlier events and yet, anger from how the others took the situation - especially with how Ashleigh secretly acted with distaste.

I soon fell asleep, drowning out the hushed and curiosity-filled voices of the others.

♥ - ♥ - ♥

I woke up the next morning and sat at one of the breakfast / lounge tables (sometimes known as the "work table") with a mug of coffee in between my hands, staring out the window that displayed moving roads and cars. I heard a pair of feet shuffling across the carpet and a set of arms thrown around my neck.

"I love you, Mom." I heard Cheyenne's voice say and I hugged her back at the arm.

"I love you too," I chuckled as she slid in across from me, "Now what brought this up?"

"I can't tell my mom I love her?"

"Well," I said thoughtfully, "I don't usually get an 'I love you' unless I actually do something for you which I don't think I have lately - and I rarely get them 'just because'." I smiled.

"Maybe this is one of those 'just because' moment'?" she retorted playfully. We both know that this is just going to carry on as a game.

I laughed, "Okay, so why?"

She looked down at her hands and made an attempt to steal my coffee mug. After stalling, she went back to staring down at her hands and her voice dropped low, "Well, I heard what happened last night and I'm just so glad you're here now. I don't know what I'd do without you." her voice got soft at the last part and I saw a tear fall from her eyes.

Tears of my own gathered up but I maintained a soft smile on my face, telling her to come over to me with open arms. I scooted further in near the window and she climbed into the little booth thing, giving me a big bear hug. I held her and stroked her hair as she laid her head down near my chest.

"I'll always be here," I softly told her, leaning my head on hers, "Just thank David for his smart moves or else, I probably wouldn't be here." I smiled to myself, thinking back to last night at how David acted. It was the fact that no one had acted in such a way for me except for him, that made me smile.

"Oh, really now?" she looked up at me, smiling; and I nodded.

"Go take a shower." I told her, releasing her from our embrace and she nodded. She got up and gave me a kiss on the cheek before sliding out and heading towards her bunk to get some clothes out before she headed in to the showers.

I lifted up my now-warm coffee mug and raised it to my lips, about to take a sip when another set of arms threw themselves around my neck and caused me to spill some of the coffee all over the table. Good thing there wasn't really anything - like laptops or important pieces of papers - on there.

"Lexi!" I shrieked, quickly grabbing a nearby towel and trying to mop the mess up.

"You're alive!" she pretended to cry, still clinging onto my neck.

I laughed, "No; I'm just a ghost who died in my sleep last night that you're hugging," I said sarcastically and she pulled away, sticking her tongue out at me immaturely. "Why are you all over me about being alive and not David, hm?" I asked her, sticking my nose in the air.

She flipped the dead wrist, "We could see him any day - he would've survived." she joked and I gasped.

"How can you be so careless?" I pretended to yell.

"I'm only kidding." she giggled and got herself her own cup of coffee.